FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan-442/)
-   -   [Speculation] What Do You Think of BofA AS Credit Cards? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alaska-airlines-mileage-plan/2099020-speculation-what-do-you-think-bofa-credit-cards.html)

beamerbenzbentli Oct 27, 2022 3:47 pm

[Speculation] What Do You Think of BofA AS Credit Cards?

• With the rumored upcoming devaluation, are they still worth it?
  • Would you prefer they be with a different bank?
  • With the giant revamp to the FF program and good perks + lucrative cc bonus, do you think they're starting to dole out too many miles akin to Delta's skypesos/bolivars? (setting aside the bias that you're salty you didn't get the higher bonus if you already have their CCs :P)
  • Do you think the 70k biz/80k-100k personal is still a steal in light of recent partner awards avail?

ItsAnAdam Oct 27, 2022 3:51 pm

Selfishly, I would prefer amex be the issuer so I can transfer my points to Mileage plan

eponymous_coward Oct 27, 2022 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by ItsAnAdam (Post 34713638)
Selfishly, I would prefer amex be the issuer so I can transfer my points to Mileage plan

Delta would go, "sorry, but no". Given that Delta's deal is vastly more important to AMEX's bottom line than anything Alaska could reasonably offer, it is exceedingly unlikely.

beamerbenzbentli Oct 27, 2022 5:34 pm

I'll take any bank aside from BoA at this point. They're so ... lol and boomer.

notquiteaff Oct 27, 2022 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by beamerbenzbentli (Post 34713627)
  • With the rumored upcoming devaluation, are they still worth it?
  • With the giant revamp to the FF program …

Did I miss something?

As for the CC, I would like a card that is worth using for anything other than inflight snacks on days other than Nov 5, 2022.

eponymous_coward Oct 27, 2022 7:19 pm

Originally Posted by beamerbenzbentli (Post 34713823)
I'll take any bank aside from BoA at this point. They're so ... lol and boomer.

Really super unlikely. AMEX isn’t ditching Delta. Chase isn’t going to happen because they have United AND Southwest. Citi, Barclays, and Capital One are irrelevancies in AS’s core markets (WA/OR/AK). This leaves you with US Bank (considerably smaller size than BofA) and BofA.

The way FT does credit cards is just not how normal people do them. Having an actual corporate presence (banking and airline) in PNW markets is actually part of the BofA-AS relationship.

diver858 Oct 27, 2022 7:33 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 34713978)
Really super unlikely. AMEX isn’t ditching Delta. Chase isn’t going to happen because they have United AND Southwest. Citi, Barclays, and Capital One are irrelevancies in AS’s core markets (WA/OR/AK). This leaves you with US Bank (considerably smaller size than BofA) and BofA.

The way FT does credit cards is just not how normal people do them. Having an actual corporate presence (banking and airline) in PNW markets is actually part of the BofA-AS relationship.

Curious why you discount Chase, who also has BA in the US.

sullim4 Oct 27, 2022 7:55 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 34713978)

I'd say that BoA/AS signed a co-brand agreement until 2030 would be the big reason why nothing is going to change here. That's exactly why I dropped the card - BoA treated us terribly and I was done with that relationship.

FWIW Chase has numerous cobrand relationships with airlines - UA, WN, BA/IB/EI, and AC. I would doubt any of those relationships would prevent a future Chase/AS linkup - Chase doesn't seem to care for exclusivity. Similarly Barclays has HA/AA/F9/B6/EK. BoA has the NK card. The only two issuers that are airline exclusives in the US that I can think of are Citi (AA) and AMEX (DL).

eponymous_coward Oct 27, 2022 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by diver858 (Post 34714006)
Curious why you discount Chase, who also has BA in the US.

Because BA isn’t a US airline, and Chase doesn’t need a US airline given a relationship with United and Southwest. Why would they outbid BofA for a regional airline?

Originally Posted by sullim4 (Post 34714037)
I'd say that BoA/AS signed a co-brand agreement until 2030 would be the big reason why nothing is going to change here. That's exactly why I dropped the card - BoA treated us terribly and I was done with that relationship.

FWIW Chase has numerous cobrand relationships with airlines - UA, WN, BA/IB/EI, and AC. I would doubt any of those relationships would prevent a future Chase/AS linkup - Chase doesn't seem to care for exclusivity. Similarly Barclays has HA/AA/F9/B6/EK. BoA has the NK card. The only two issuers that are airline exclusives in the US that I can think of are Citi (AA) and AMEX (DL).

Barclays has zero presence in PNW markets. BofA does. There really isn’t a compelling reason to hook up. Which is why AS and BofA have been at it for 20 years or so.

dayone Oct 27, 2022 10:13 pm

"Alaska Air Group Inc.and Bank of America [...] announced an extension of their co-branded credit card agreement through 2030. The renewed agreement strengthens a powerful industry partnership that has endured over decades..."

nineworldseries Oct 28, 2022 6:39 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff (Post 34713930)
Did I miss something?

As for the CC, I would like a card that is worth using for anything other than inflight snacks on days other than Nov 5, 2022.

The only uses for my AS card besides also using it for AS airfare purchases at 3x.

notquiteaff Oct 28, 2022 8:26 am

Originally Posted by nineworldseries (Post 34714765)
The only uses for my AS card besides also using it for AS airfare purchases at 3x.

I use if for airfare purchases when I have to (companion ticket, don’t have wallet credit). Otherwise I generally prefer 3X UR or 5X MR for flexibility reasons.

ssk244 Oct 28, 2022 8:37 am

I ditched the card because the companion fare was too hard for me to use. I'd jump on it again if there was a no annual fee/no companion pass option and just use it for flights/in-flight snacks.

sullim4 Oct 28, 2022 9:34 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward (Post 34714085)
Barclays has zero presence in PNW markets. BofA does. There really isn’t a compelling reason to hook up. Which is why AS and BofA have been at it for 20 years or so.

I never suggested as much. I only cited Barclays as an example of an issuer that doesn't care about airline exclusivity - they are happy to cobrand with anyone that wants to. Citi and AMEX are the only two that I'm aware of in the US that partner with a single airline.

I would argue, however, that physical presence of branches nowadays means far less than it did 20 years ago. AMEX has zero branches but yet Delta doesn't seem to care that there's no AMEX brick and mortar "bank" in Atlanta or any of their hubs. Barclays has zero branches but none of the carriers aligned with it seem to care. Citi, for that matter, despite having a very long relationship with AA, has a very weak presence in the Dallas market.

Money is the biggest mover, and whoever offers Alaska the best combination of the biggest slice of the pie and the best opportunity for growth will get their cobrand business.

notquiteaff Oct 28, 2022 9:51 am

Originally Posted by sullim4 (Post 34715150)
Money is the biggest mover, and whoever offers Alaska the best combination of the biggest slice of the pie and the best opportunity for growth will get their cobrand business

… in 2031 :)