Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

J Class BA redemption ticket with $900+ as taxes/fees?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

J Class BA redemption ticket with $900+ as taxes/fees?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27, 2022, 9:11 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
Originally Posted by steveholt
What do you mean by connections on the nonstop? When the nonstop has availability, that there's not connections available to that nonstop?

I picked 1/17 as an example. There's connections in J to SAN-LHR from:

AUS
FAT
SMF

Others have connections elsewhere - BOI, GEG, PAE, RDM have connections through SFO in J the whole way. SJC and STS have connections through LAX in J the whole way. Those are the non-Hawaiian cities listed on Wikipedia with regular (non-seasonal) flights on AS to SAN. The only one that didn't have availability was SBP.
The subject relates to the use AS miles for TATL flights to the UK, Europe, beyond. Despite offering nonstop service between SAN-LHR, BA does not offer convenient options in Y and J to LHR, most European cities - and the few available options are "mixed cabin", J limited to the European connection - which in most cases is not true J service.

Last edited by dayone; Oct 27, 2022 at 10:02 pm Reason: Getting personal.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 9:27 pm

Programs: Alaska MVPG, Delta PM, AA EXP, Wannabe SkyWest 1K
Typical One Way J awards SFO/LAX- LHR on AA and UA are around 130k miles, and DL/VS is around 300k SkyPesos, so only giving up 60k miles is not a bad deal, especially if you're in a Club Suite.
Old Oct 27, 2022, 9:40 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Originally Posted by diver858
The subject relates to the use AS miles for TATL flights to the UK, Europe, beyond. Despite offering nonstop service between SAN-LHR, BA does not offer convenient options in Y and J to LHR, most European cities - and the few available options are "mixed cabin", J limited to the European connection - which in most cases is not true J service.
Politely: your posts have not been coherent and are the ones that have been condescending and inaccurate. I'll try to run through what you said.

The subject relates to the use AS miles for TATL flights to the UK, Europe, beyond.
Yes, my prior post is about AS availability in J on TATL flights to the UK. My impression from your post was that AS was not offering J availability connecting to the SAN-LHR flight, which has plenty of availability if you're flexible, as a service like SeatSpy can make clear.

Despite offering nonstop service between SAN-LHR, BA does not offer convenient options in Y and J to LHR, most European cities - and the few available options are "mixed cabin", J limited to the European connection - which in most cases is not true J service
Again, having picked a random day and actually gone through the searches, that date in question has J available for each leg. Each domestic connecting leg in the US *and* the TATL leg on BA have availability in business/first. I did not search for LHR-XXX availability in Europe, but as you just put it, "J" is not true J service within Europe. I also haven't found much trouble finding J availability from LHR to European destinations. Again, since you can't be bothered to actually do the work, let's take FAT-SAN-LHR-XXX and see what we can book in J *all the way* on that day on BA using AS miles. I'll pick some European cities:

BRU
CDG
NCE
MUC
FRA
CPH
FCO
BCN
ATH

The only intra-Europe flight I looked for that was not available is HEL. And again, since I apparently need to make this clear - every leg is in J/F.

I actually went and did the work and found the availability. You don't like it because it invalidates your point and you're being smug and condescending (and xenophobic, on top of it). While you're entitled to your own opinions, you're not entitled to your own facts.

Last edited by dayone; Oct 27, 2022 at 10:06 pm Reason: Some attempted surgery to cut out the off-topic, personal and disruptive.
Old Oct 28, 2022, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Despite daily 777 service between SAN-LHR, award travel is virtually non-existent for connections on the nonstop, most end up being 2 stops to/from major European hubs, with mixed service - Y on both the BA TATL and AS domestic US connection. In contrast, AA dynamic pricing typically offers at least one option in both Y and J, although the redemption values are often prohibitive, with more than 1 connection. So while the above may be correct for SEA and possibly LAX using AS miles, experience suggests it is not the case for other AS focus cities with a BA LHR nonstop.
I've no idea what point you think you're making, but to clarify: BA release 4 Club seats on every flight at 355 days before departure. They don't commit to keeping four seats available - it's a finite supply which may or may not be topped up later. Your likely issue here is that BA [and some other] fliers can book for 25 days before AA/AS fliers can, and I suspect San Diego is a fairly popular route. In contrast, to my knowledge AA don't commit to making any J seats available and AAnytime awards are not available to partners [maybe AS? IDK there].
Old Oct 28, 2022, 10:30 am

Politely: your posts have not been coherent and are the ones that have been condescending and inaccurate. I'll try to run through what you said.

Yes, my prior post is about AS availability in J on TATL flights to the UK. My impression from your post was that AS was not offering J availability connecting to the SAN-LHR flight, which has plenty of availability if you're flexible, as a service like SeatSpy can make clear.
Thank you for the SeatSpy reference; I no longer fly TATL often enough to justify another subscription service (required for J searches), as Expert Flyer serves most of my current needs quite well (alerts for U space on AS to use GGUs). Based on the limited free information I was able to find on the SeatSpy website, much of the claimed availability appears to be for off-peak, low season flights.

My most recent experience attempting to book 2 seats in J on the AS website, found a majority of the options requiring 2 stops, final leg is on Y on AS, BA TATL is more often than not in J. Specifically: attempts to return from Paris or Rome in mid-April 2023 in J. I researched 3 different 4 day windows that fit our schedule using AA, AS and AF miles. AA and AF offered options, most with 2 stops, required significantly more miles (and the latter significant taxes and fees) than I have available, willing to spend. If my memory serves, the only 2-stop BA itinerary with TATL in J required a long layover in AUS; while the AS website lists many more options, they all appeared to be mixed cabin, with TATL in Y or Y+. Willing to risk playing the cancellation lottery, ultimately end up with a better itinerary, I held my nose, booked one of the 2-stops connecting through AUS. A few days later, 2 J seats on IB FCO-MAD-LAX became available on the AS website for 75k miles each, on a suitable date. Given the choice, SAN is our strong preference, but consider LAX to avoid a domestic connection for TATL.
Old Oct 29, 2022, 7:35 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Booked a trip in August, admittedly w AA miles but same basic deal. Our AA awards on JL would no longer work for Christmas so we found 5x biz awards YVR-LHR and only paid $311 in taxes/surcharges. Also able to get IST-LHR-AUS-LAX return booked w only about $300 in taxes/surcharges. $615 per person roundtrip seemed tolerable…
Old Oct 29, 2022, 9:55 pm

What do you mean by connections on the nonstop? When the nonstop has availability, that there's not connections available to that nonstop?

I picked 1/17 as an example. There's connections in J to SAN-LHR from:

AUS
FAT
SMF

Others have connections elsewhere - BOI, GEG, PAE, RDM have connections through SFO in J the whole way. SJC and STS have connections through LAX in J the whole way. Those are the non-Hawaiian cities listed on Wikipedia with regular (non-seasonal) flights on AS to SAN. The only one that didn't have availability was SBP.
1/17 is mid-week, middle of the winter in Europe - lowest of all season. Try during a shoulder season, like my late April example.
Old Oct 30, 2022, 10:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Based on the limited free information I was able to find on the SeatSpy website, much of the claimed availability appears to be for off-peak, low season flights.
I wonder why that is…

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.