Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

100k+ Miles gifted, need stopover planning help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

100k+ Miles gifted, need stopover planning help!

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2022, 10:31 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Silver, Best Western Diamond, Booking.com Genius Level 3, WN A-List + Companion Pass
Smile 100k+ Miles gifted, need stopover planning help!

This past week for work someone generously gifted me 100k Alaska Miles, I have never flown Alaska but upon my research (Alaska website, Oneworld, ThePointsGuy, etc.), it looks like they have a very generous stopover allowance on award tickets. I have looked at the Oneworld Route Map based on each carrier to see where I can fly to on partners as well as Alaska partners not in Oneworld.

Here are a few of my top choices for travel that I have found as potential possibilities based on my cursory research and the Oneworld Route Map--

(EUROPE): Dublin, Ireland; Riga, Latvia via Helsinki, Finland
(ASIA PACIFIC) Tokyo, Japan; Sydney, Australia; Auckland, New Zealand; Nadi, Fiji
(AFRICA) Nairobi, Kenya via Kigali, Rwanda; Johannesburg, South Africa

Are there any good routes you know of in these regions/for these pairs across regions?
Old Mar 19, 2022, 10:59 am

You can only stopover at the airline hub e.g. if you're flying british airways (bought using alaska miles), you can do a stopover in London, for Finnair in Helsinki, for Condor you can stopover in Frankfurt, and so on.

Given that asia is mostly still iffy due to covid, focus on a european stopover. IcelandAir is a good one bought using alaska miles, since iceland is a good natural stopover point if you haven't been there before
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:03 am

Programs: AS
Welcome to Flyertalk Tmobiley!
Many on this forum will be happy to help and give advice,
Old Mar 19, 2022, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3 Silver, Best Western Diamond, Booking.com Genius Level 3, WN A-List + Companion Pass
This is helpful information thank you!
Is there a list of OneWorld and Alaska Partner hubs where I can do a stopover?

1. And to make sure I understand it correctly, you can book one partner airline (i.e.: Alaska then American) and then fly American stopovers to multiple hubs they serve?
2. Also, I saw an itinerary on AlaskaAir.com that had Alaska, Qantas, and Fiji thus seeming to break the one partner rule on award flights.

Last edited by tmobiley; Mar 19, 2022 at 11:53 am Reason: Added two questions.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:11 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, AC SE
Originally Posted by tmobiley
This is helpful information thank you!
Is there a list of OneWorld and Alaska Partner hubs where I can do a stopover?

1. And to make sure I understand it correctly, you can book one partner airline (i.e.: Alaska then American) and then fly American stopovers to multiple hubs they serve?
2. Also, I saw an itinerary on AlaskaAir.com that had Alaska, Qantas, and Fiji thus seeming to break the one partner rule on award flights.
1. 1 stopover per direction
2. I think it's possible AS + one partner in one direction, AS + another partner for the return. I've never seen two partners in one direction.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:20 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Quail
1. 1 stopover per direction
2. I think it's possible AS + one partner in one direction, AS + another partner for the return. I've never seen two partners in one direction.
Okay, one stopover per direction based on the airline partner I am flying to my destination.
I also thought AS+Partner was the deal per direction (so technically two partners) but let me see if I can replicate what I saw (but maybe I am misremembering, probably!).
Old Mar 19, 2022, 12:48 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Okay, one stopover per direction based on the airline partner I am flying to my destination.
I also thought AS+Partner was the deal per direction (so technically two partners) but let me see if I can replicate what I saw (but maybe I am misremembering, probably!).
You can fly a partner with a stopover each way OR Alaska and a partner with a stopover each way. Only one stopover each direction in all cases. For example you can fly BA from SEA-LHR (stopover)-CDG or AS SEA-SFO (stopover)- BA LHR.
Arsene Wenger likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Using Finnair you can get to almost anywhere in Europe. Helsinki is beautiful in the summer; it's warm and the sun is up until 11pm or midnight, so it's a great stopover.

If you go to flightconnections.com you can see everywhere that they (or any airline) fly. I'm stopping over in Helsinki on my way back from Rome in July.

You can use different partners in different directions to get a 3 city trip in. Another option is to do a Europe stopover in 1 direction and a US stopover in the other.

You can even "stop over" in your home town to get a free one-way flight at another time (but everything has to be booked before you start flying the ticket and you can't change it once you start). For example, I once booked JFK-SFO // SFO-HND with an 8-month stopover in SF (where I lived at the time), all on a single first class JAL award for 70k miles. I only wanted to go to one destination, so rather than waste my stopover, I got a free first class return flight from a trip to NY.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Using Finnair you can get to almost anywhere in Europe. Helsinki is beautiful in the summer; it's warm and the sun is up until 11pm or midnight, so it's a great stopover.

If you go to flightconnections.com you can see everywhere that they (or any airline) fly. I'm stopping over in Helsinki on my way back from Rome in July.

You can use different partners in different directions to get a 3 city trip in. Another option is to do a Europe stopover in 1 direction and a US stopover in the other.

You can even "stop over" in your home town to get a free one-way flight at another time (but everything has to be booked before you start flying the ticket and you can't change it once you start). For example, I once booked JFK-SFO // SFO-HND with an 8-month stopover in SF (where I lived at the time), all on a single first class JAL award for 70k miles. I only wanted to go to one destination, so rather than waste my stopover, I got a free first class return flight from a trip to NY.
All the replies by Vegas Gambler to tmobiley were darn impressive! I am not even close to understanding what you did to get a first class ticket to NY. You’re amazing!

How did you learn all about the stopovers?
AND do you sometimes help others?

Last edited by dayone; Mar 19, 2022 at 9:23 pm Reason: Consecutive.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 9:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

tmobiley Welcome to FT & AS
This past week for work someone generously gifted me 100k Alaska Miles, I have never flown Alaska but upon my research (Alaska website, Oneworld, ThePointsGuy, etc.), it looks like they have a very generous stopover allowance on award tickets. I have looked at the Oneworld Route Map based on each carrier to see where I can fly to on partners as well as Alaska partners not in Oneworld.

Here are a few of my top choices for travel that I have found as potential possibilities based on my cursory research and the Oneworld Route Map--

(EUROPE): Dublin, Ireland; Riga, Latvia via Helsinki, Finland
(ASIA PACIFIC) Tokyo, Japan; Sydney, Australia; Auckland, New Zealand; Nadi, Fiji
(AFRICA) Nairobi, Kenya via Kigali, Rwanda; Johannesburg, South Africa

Are there any good routes you know of in these regions/for these pairs across regions?
What class of travel are you interested in? Premium cabin awards can be *very* hard to get. Even economy/coach can be hard, Award seats are limited. Need to flexible on dates & routes.
Departing from where? May (or may not) need to buy a ticket ticket an international gateway .
No need to book as a return. Can book as one ways. If you can get to anywhere in the region then buying a separate cash ticket (or AS CX JL award) to where you want to go, is a viable option.
AS awards chart is limited on allowable airlines per region. Not all OW airlines are yet in the award chart.
Note that SYD is not the only airport in AU and AKL not the only airport in NZ. Awards to other cities can have better availability.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Mar 19, 2022 at 9:21 pm
Old Mar 19, 2022, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by theoneLMicheLe
All the replies by Vegas Gambler to tmobiley were darn impressive! I am not even close to understanding what you did to get a first class ticket to NY. You’re amazing!

How did you learn all about the stopovers?
AND do you sometimes help others?
From NY, not to NY. I booked a first class F award, NYC-TYO, with a stopover in SF.

At the time, I lived in SF and frequently visited NY. So for one of my NY trips I just paid for a 1-way to get there. Then I used the first leg of my award to go home (NYC-SFO) and the 2nd leg of my award to fly to Tokyo (SFO-TYO).

Technically, I never flew the 2nd leg because of covid.... but that was the plan!

I learned everything I know about AS from this forum. It's definitely the best and most complete source of information anywhere. If you have any questions I'm happy to help, as are lots of people here.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
tmobiley Welcome to FT & AS

What class of travel are you interested in? Premium cabin awards can be *very* hard to get. Even economy/coach can be hard, Award seats are limited. Need to flexible on dates & routes.
Departing from where? May (or may not) need to buy a ticket ticket an international gateway .
No need to book as a return. Can book as one ways. If you can get to anywhere in the region then buying a separate cash ticket (or AS CX JL award) to where you want to go, is a viable option.
AS awards chart is limited on allowable airlines per region. Not all OW airlines are yet in the award chart.
Note that SYD is not the only airport in AU and AKL not the only airport in NZ. Awards to other cities can have better availability.
There is actually a reasonable amount of Finnair business class availability right now, even in the usually-tough summer months. But 100k miles is only enough for business one way and economy the other.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 10:15 pm

Newbie Question…to Vegas Gambler or whomever

This question illustrates my newbie status. (I suppose a person has to start somewhere!)

Q: What does AS mean?

Q: Does AS refer to an award chart?

Lots of thanks in advance.
Old Mar 19, 2022, 10:31 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by theoneLMicheLe
This question illustrates my newbie status. (I suppose a person has to start somewhere!)

Q: What does AS mean?
AS is the IATA code (airline two character code) for Alaska Airlines,

Q: Does AS refer to an award chart?

Lots of thanks in advance.
An award chart tells you how many miles it will cost for an Alaska award on both Alaska and their partners. And where you can fly to/from. Here is a link to the AS award charts.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...ID:MileagePlan

Here is a link to the FT (FlyerTalk) glossary to help you with all the abbreviations and acronyms that are used here.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/glossary.php
Old Mar 20, 2022, 12:23 am
Community Director Emerita

I have used AS miles for award tickets with stopovers several times. Examples
Fiji Airlines, stopover in Nadi, flight a week later to Sydney
Johannesburg to Hong Kong, stop over for several days, Cathay on to LAX (be aware that due to challenges with Cathay, this is not currently viable)

I have an upcoming ticket using AS miles for
Qatar Airways, Dar es Salaam to Doha, several days later, Qatar Airways from Doha to LAX
theoneLMicheLe likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.