Search

Traveling with oversized artwork

Search this Thread

Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Traveling with oversized artwork

Hi All!

I have a question for you all. My mother in laws brother passed away recently so she will be flying SEA-HNL with a piece of art work that was with her brother. I don’t think it’s particularly valuable aside from the sentimentality. She was asking me how best to fly with it… she called customer service and they mentioned that she could put it in the closet at the front of the cabin but I have my doubts that will work given crew bags may be in there.

Over all the package is about 28”x36”. The big worry is that she will get on the plane and it won’t fit and she will have to check it… which it wont be properly packed to do. She is flying F on a 737 MAX 9 so the bins will be large… maybe they will fit there?

thank you!!
Old Aug 6, 2022, 11:40 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Pretty sure that wouldn't fit in a bin, and that's the last place I would want artwork anyway.

The closet it pretty small, but if they ask nicely and explain what it is I would imagine the F FA is going to do their best to accommodate. But it's not a guarantee.

To be honest, the best idea here is get it packaged appropriately and ship it UPS.
notquiteaff and trooper like this.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
To be honest, the best idea here is get it packaged appropriately and ship it UPS.
That's what I would do. Google found this

https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping...able%20artwork.

and I suspect UPS has similar offerings.
Old Aug 6, 2022, 1:15 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
This thread has some helpful advice, including my own experience flying with a 24" x 36" painting without issue.

Quick carry-on question

I had no problems placing it between my seat and the window, while seated in first class (seat 2A) when the Airbuses still had the VX big white recliner seats in F, SFO-JFK.

One other consideration is if it will fit through the Xray machine at the TSA checkpoint @ SEA.

I think it would also likely fit in the coat closets in 737 F cabins.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: GM on VX, UA, AA, HA, AS, SY; Budget Fastbreak
I would ship it which means buying the cardboard box and packing supplies. It’s not cheap and it’ll save a lot of airport hassle. Going to a ups store or FedEx store or any package delivery store will help because staff usually can help with the packing process.
Old Aug 7, 2022, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
@AKronin recently shipped some larger art. I know he got it to ANC successfully; can't recall the other details. If it doesn't go on, are they able to cancel and rebook the flight prior to departure? This may be a YMMV situation. And how full is the flight?
Old Aug 7, 2022, 10:54 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Please don’t be that person that disrupts the entire departure process while all the FAs try to figure out how to store the artwork. Ship it UPS or FedEx.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 2:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
Please don’t be that person that disrupts the entire departure process while all the FAs try to figure out how to store the artwork. Ship it UPS or FedEx.
Naw. It's a MIL. Gonna get a disrupt anyway.

David
Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
I once shipped a larger painting and frame as air cargo on United LAX-SFO. It was to go on a specific flight, the flight I was taking. I retrieved the cargo at the back side of the airport, not the passenger terminal.

Several possibilities.

1. See if the artwork is a painting and can be rolled up after removal from the frame.
2. Properly pack it in a box and ship it as luggage or air cargo.
3. Properly pack it and ship it UPS or Fedex.
4. See if there is a canvas shopping bag that the artwork can fit. See if you can bring it on board based on the thickness is not very thick so it's a 28" x 36" x 2.5"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.