Quick carry-on question

Old Apr 20, 2022, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Executive Club, AS Airlines Mileage Plan
Quick carry-on question

Maybe a stupid question but I just want to check.

I will be flying SEA to BOI on a 737 in First next week. I would like to carry on a fragile model airplane kit (for a Wright Flyer, all wood parts) in a nearly flat cardboard box that measures 36” x 4.5” x < 1”. This is longer than the 22” limit for cabin baggage, but well under the 45” limit for combined dimensions. It will easily fit lengthwise in the overhead compartment, on top of whatever else is in there. Is there any reason it won’t be allowed?

I can’t see why it wouldn’t be, but I would hate to lose it. Thanks for your reassurance.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 11:07 am

Programs: 75K, HH Diamond
Should be fine. I've seen guitar cases, violins, etc, on board. Can't imagine an FA taking it away from you so long as you don't have 9 carry on items or something.
trooper likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 3:56 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

If it were me, I'd write "FRAGILE" on the top and sides of the box.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dayone
If it were me, I'd write "FRAGILE" on the top and sides of the box.
That will most likely not stop people from breaking it when they try to remove their bags from the overhead and shove them back in.

I would not put anything fragile up there, personally, unless it's not worth much and you are ok with it being broken. Better to ship and insure it.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
window seat in Row 1; place the box on its 1" wide edge, slide it along the sidewall at floor level next to your seat
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You may be able to find a poster tube that's large enough diameter to fit it inside for extra protectio. I've carried poster tubes about that size on AS and many other airlines without any issues.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jrl767
window seat in Row 1; place the box on its 1" wide edge, slide it along the sidewall at floor level next to your seat
I do have a window seat in Row 1—will they let me do that?

It is not valuable, other than sentimental value. It is a model airplane kit I bought for my son when he was in his pre-teen airplane craze phase, and very good at making things. But we never found the time to tackle it, and then he outgrew his interest in model airplanes. So now I am taking it to his twin boys who love little projects like this. And he will get a kick out of assisting them. I took the boys to the Boeing Museum of Flight when they were here visiting 2 months ago, and they loved it—-especially the old planes and the replica of the Wright biplane.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by enzian
I do have a window seat in Row 1—will they let me do that?
unless the FA is paying a great deal of attention while you’re boarding and getting situated, I’d say you won’t have any issues at all … and your legs will largely be blocking their view of it during the flight anyway
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 9:27 pm

Programs: AS 75K
I think technically it shouldn't be next to the seat but I agree the FAs are unlikely to notice. I regularly stash my laptop down there so I can have it sooner than if it's in the overhead. This being said I don't think you'll have a problem with your initial plan of putting in in the overhead bin. You just need to pay close attention and "help" anyone getting in there.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2022, 10:22 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K (RIP VX), Hyatt Globalist, BonVoy Plat, National Exec
In between to your seat and the window is the best move.

I had no issues with a 36"x24" oil painting, framed with glass, in between 2A and window on SFO-JFK, nice and secure.

For added discretion, if preferred, you can just cover your window armrest with a jacket, and FA won't even know it's there.

Since you're on the 737, there's also the option of the F coat closet.

If you go the overhead bin route, aim for the aisle seat beneath the bin your fragile item is in, so you can politely alert folks if needed when loading/unloading.

Pleasant travels!
Old Apr 21, 2022, 12:45 pm

All the advice you have gotten is good, just beware that there is a small chance a gate agent will insist on following the rule that limits the length of carry-ons. They can get in trouble with the FAA for not following their carryon rules.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 4:17 pm

Programs: Alaskans fly everywhere on any aircraft going there!
And if AS starts doing that there will be a huge number of unhappy fisher folks all summer! I'd ask to put it in the coat closet....I take a cane seat and they are always really lovely about standing it in the closet for me. It's about 30" all together.
Old Apr 21, 2022, 7:48 pm
Original Poster

OK, thanks to everyone. Looks like I have good options and can just figure it out when I board. Putting it in the coat closet is not a bad solution—-the flight attendant offered this on our last flight 2 weeks ago, when my husband carried on a 22” x 20” x 3” plywood box that contained a painting we were giving to our daughter. Checking in, I see I have been moved from 1F to 3F, so it may be overhead bin or the coat closet.

I did look at the mailing tube option, but the one we have (4” diameter) won’t hold the model kit.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.