Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Fare on Open-Jaw Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2022, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Companion Fare on Open-Jaw Itinerary

Background:

In Feb 2021, I booked a flight for 2 people to Puerto Vallarta for Sep 2022 using my 2021 companion fare.
I ended up having to cancel the plans and chose to redeposit the funds into my wallet, which Alaska assured me would allow me to rebook using the companion fare on another flight.

I know the official language in Alaska's terms says that the companion fare can be used on coach/Main cabin roundtrip flights. I recently found out that the companion fare can actually be applied to open jaw (multi-city) itineraries (source: TPG, mypointslife, the list goes on). I attempted to change my flight to the following: SFO > OGG and HNL > SFO.

The site gave me an internal error message saying I had to call it in. The Alaska Customer Care team said that I could not use a companion fare on a multi-city itinerary, which is odd because I can't imagine that so many travel blogs are wrong. I tested this out by booking a brand-new flight using the same route using my 2022 companion fare and I had no problem, although I did not actually purchase the flight. The site showed me that the companion fare was applied to the open jaw route.

Any thoughts? I know it works on a new flight. I don't understand why Alaska is telling me otherwise.
Old Mar 17, 2022, 6:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by BarbatosRex
In Feb 2021, I booked a flight for 2 people to Puerto Vallarta for Sep 2022 using my 2021 companion fare.
I ended up having to cancel the plans and chose to redeposit the funds into my wallet, which Alaska assured me would allow me to rebook using the companion fare on another flight. ...
I’m reasonably sure that, despite the AS agent’s assurance, this was not the optimum action

my experience is that changing the reservation definitely preserves the companion fare (and yes, you can change it to a placeholder and then change it again when you decide what you really want to fly)
Old Mar 18, 2022, 10:09 am

First, openjaw on companion is not officially allowed so an agent wont book it for you. It does work to book open jaw companion online but again due to alaska website not enforcing it not due to official policy.

Second, cancel was a mistake. You lost your companion code when you did that, agent was wrong when they said you can reuse it. Shouldve done a change completely online
Old Mar 18, 2022, 12:32 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Second, cancel was a mistake. You lost your companion code when you did that, agent was wrong when they said you can reuse it. Shouldve done a change completely online
I have canceled a companion fare ticket before and had the companion fare code redeposited in my wallet. I was very very clear with the agent that I wanted the code redeposited and they assured me it would. I think watched my wallet and made sure it went back.
Old Mar 18, 2022, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
First, openjaw on companion is not officially allowed so an agent wont book it for you. It does work to book open jaw companion online but again due to alaska website not enforcing it not due to official policy.

YMMV. I have had agents change a companion ticket to open jaw itineraries several times, usually from a one-way already booked..
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:12 am

While agents are very nice and helpful, with no status, I try to avoid calling them at all costs in scenarios like this. The website allows more than they do....
Old Mar 21, 2022, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

do you have that companion cert back in your account already?
if not try to reclaim companion fare by booking some rountrip placeholder with agent then change it online to desired itinerary
as noted canceling original itinerary usually leads to forfeiting companion cert but considering covid etc and indicating that you were told otherwise you may get an exception..
Old Mar 22, 2022, 10:17 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by BarbatosRex
Background:

I ended up having to cancel the plans and chose to redeposit the funds into my wallet, which Alaska assured me would allow me to rebook using the companion fare on another flight.

I know the official language in Alaska's terms says that the companion fare can be used on coach/Main cabin roundtrip flights. I recently found out that the companion fare can actually be applied to open jaw (multi-city) itineraries (source: TPG, mypointslife, the list goes on). I attempted to change my flight to the following: SFO > OGG and HNL > SFO.

The site gave me an internal error message saying I had to call it in. The Alaska Customer Care team said that I could not use a companion fare on a multi-city itinerary, which is odd because I can't imagine that so many travel blogs are wrong. I tested this out by booking a brand-new flight using the same route using my 2022 companion fare and I had no problem, although I did not actually purchase the flight. The site showed me that the companion fare was applied to the open jaw route.

Any thoughts? I know it works on a new flight. I don't understand why Alaska is telling me otherwise.
you probably spoke to one of the many incompetent agents, your best bet would be to call again
is there any reason you haven’t just canceled and rebooked though?
also, it’s potentially worth trying again to change it online, on a computer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.