Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Alaska iPhone App

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2019, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

Alaska iPhone App

Hello to all you top Alaska elites! We've launched the latest version of the iPhone app and would super appreciate your feedback. Most recent releases have been low key but this one is lit.

So, whuduya think?

4.1.44 Release Notes
- Need to cancel your reservation? Of course we wish you wouldn’t but now you can do it from the app: tap the dots and then tap “Cancel reservation.”
- We made some visual changes to your trips list.
- We moved Flight status to the tab bar, for quicker access. Check-in is now in the more menu.
- Minor tweaks and fixes
Old May 23, 2019, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I updated my Android app a few days ago and it added all these features
Old May 23, 2019, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I updated my Android app a few days ago and it added all these features
Great! How do you like it?
Old May 23, 2019, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seems mostly the same as the old one. It looks like the ability to search for and book partner awards had been added, which is nice.

Still no way to search for K+ space or apply GGUs in the app. Also, showing baggage info would be nice. Information about where your plane currently is (like they have in the UA app) would also be nice.
be_rettSEA and FlipCup88 like this.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I would give the new app a thumbs up - nice and fresh looking.

It would be nice, someday, if there was a feature to delete (not cancel) a reservation from the trips tab. Also, if on the trips tab it showed the current estimated departure time next to the flight in the empty white space, if not constantly, at least after check-in. I understand that at the end of the day, it is a balance between keeping things simple and easy to read, and conveying as much info as possible.

I like the flight status at the bottom menu bar. I think if you are checked-in for a flight, it should automatically show up when you click that, instead of having to search for it. This may be redundant though since you can just click on the flight in the trips tab.
Old May 23, 2019, 3:10 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I would give the new app a thumbs up - nice and fresh looking.

It would be nice, someday, if there was a feature to delete (not cancel) a reservation from the trips tab. Also, if on the trips tab it showed the current estimated departure time next to the flight in the empty white space, if not constantly, at least after check-in. I understand that at the end of the day, it is a balance between keeping things simple and easy to read, and conveying as much info as possible.

I like the flight status at the bottom menu bar. I think if you are checked-in for a flight, it should automatically show up when you click that, instead of having to search for it. This may be redundant though since you can just click on the flight in the trips tab.
+1 on the request to be able to delete a reservation. I would further suggest an interim page when executing that function by asking “ Are you sure you wish to delete this reservation?”
Old May 23, 2019, 3:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
It would be nice, someday, if there was a feature to delete (not cancel) a reservation from the trips tab.
There is, but only for non-AS-ticket-stock-flights.

I can view my JL-stock flight (with some AS legs) on the app, and I have the option to delete it. But for my AS-stock flights that option is not there.
Old May 23, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
There is, but only for non-AS-ticket-stock-flights.

I can view my JL-stock flight (with some AS legs) on the app, and I have the option to delete it. But for my AS-stock flights that option is not there.
The non-deletable flights in the app are the ones that are added to "My Trips" on the website and synced to the phone.

If my SO books an AS flight and I add it directly to my app, it is deletable.

The converse is also true: if you add your JL flight to My Trips on the website, it gets synced to your phone and becomes non-deletable.
Old May 23, 2019, 3:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Multi-city searches in the App would be my number one choice. You can't do open jaws or stopovers for either awards or revenue. The rest is window dressing, IMHO.

James
Old May 23, 2019, 6:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Instead of calling it Delete - which raises questions of if its deleted permanently or deleted from your desktop 'my flights' page - how about a "Hide on Mobile" option for a reservation. When your app has any hidden flights, a button could appear at the top or bottom of your reservations that says "Include hidden reservations" and if you were inclined, you could drill into a hidden flight and un-hide it.

As others have mentioned - Multi-City open jaw searches & GGU filter would be great... basically anything the desktop can do, the app should be able to do.

I also think it'd be cool if you could click an option in your profile if you're an AS Lounge Member, and on your flight reservation details it could tell you if the airport you're in has an AS Lounge or Partner Lounge, so the info is at your fingertips.
mtnsider likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by FlipCup88
Hello to all you top Alaska elites! We've launched the latest version of the iPhone app and would super appreciate your feedback. Most recent releases have been low key but this one is lit.

So, whuduya think?
Visually the new main screen looks like crap. Did you take the Android design and shove it into iOS? Is there no longer going to be a native iOS design??

Did you fix the bugs with SDC yet?

I don't generally think of airline apps as "lit", but go check out the Delta app. It has 10x the functionality of Alaska's app, and has actually been improved since 2015.
jinglish likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
still not all there

click “More”
click “About”
click “AlaskaAir.com”
click “Yes” in the popup

good: it goes to the front page of the full website rather than the mobile version (where you had to scroll to the bottom and click “View Full Site”)

bad: the “Remember Me” button still doesn’t work

bad: the app still doesn’t have any way to apply My Wallet funds

ADDED bad: the app still doesn’t have a way to use “Miles & Money”

ADDED bad: the app still makes you enter login info for a new booking
jinglish likes this.

Last edited by jrl767; May 24, 2019 at 12:07 am
Old May 23, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
The background in between confirmations is not very pleasing and inconsistent with AS color scheme. I have an iPhone and the major color in the background picture is yellow and s purplish sky (I think????).

I prefer the AS color scheme when in the AS app. Confusing subconsciously as it is inconsistent.
PDX4MSU likes this.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:12 pm

Programs: MVP Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Xrayman
The background in between confirmations is not very pleasing and inconsistent with AS color scheme. I have an iPhone and the major color in the background picture is yellow and s purplish sky (I think????).

I prefer the AS color scheme when in the AS app. Confusing subconsciously as it is inconsistent.
I kind of like that tab and it looks a lot better than the previously IMO. Agreed with the other poster, the use of the app too book partner awards is not worth anything without multi-destination or the ability to easily tell if you are in business or first the whole trip.
Old May 23, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Originally Posted by FlipCup88
Great! How do you like it?
Android version 3.30.2 may request access to: Location *access precise location (GPS and network based)

Have full network access
Access Bluetooth settings
View network connections
Control vibration
prevent phone from sleeping
Play Install Referrer API
pair with Bluetooth devices
receive data from Internet

You can disable access for these permissions in Settings. Updates to Alaska Airlines-Travel may autiomatically add additional capabilities within each group.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.