Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Canceled Christmas/New Year's Holiday Flights (2021)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Canceled Christmas/New Year's Holiday Flights (2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 1, 2022, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by BayAreaTrvler
It seems like an annual event that AS has a weather meltdown in either Seattle or Portland, then claims it was an unanticipated “once in a lifetime” event, says they’ll do an after-action and implement changes, etc. And then, the next year, the exact thing happens again. The only thing one can take away from this is that they either don’t care, or figure there’s not much they can do in a space-constrained hub like SEA. Maybe it’s a bit of both, because it doesn’t seem like anyone ever gets fired after epic operational disasters.
I think there are limitations on what can be done, particularly this year when you have a double-whammy of an extended winter event and severe spike in COVID cases.
mildfrequence likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by fly18725
I think there are limitations on what can be done, particularly this year when you have a double-whammy of an extended winter event and severe spike in COVID cases.
We've had more than our share of "once in a lifetime" events in the past few years. Record storms, fires, only exceeded by storms and fires that set new records a year later. Throw COVID on top of this and it is going to be our new way of living. What airline hasn't had a meltdown at some point over the past few years? I will continue to follow my own sage proverb. "Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side.. Sometimes it is dead."
Old Jan 1, 2022, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
We've had more than our share of "once in a lifetime" events in the past few years. Record storms, fires, only exceeded by storms and fires that set new records a year later. Throw COVID on top of this and it is going to be our new way of living. What airline hasn't had a meltdown at some point over the past few years? I will continue to follow my own sage proverb. "Sometimes the grass isn't greener on the other side.. Sometimes it is dead."
Agree on pretty much everything you said. I will point out that the AS de-icing operation in SEA has been horribly managed for years. Ever since they closed their own ramp service. Along with that they removed AS maintenance techs from de-icing. While they’ve invested some money in new trucks and seem to have adequate supplies of glycol, having a contract company providing the service is a problem. The AS mechanics have begged, for years, to take back that operation promising marked improvement. (ANC de-icing is done in house with employees). No one I know at AS can explain why that hasn’t happened. I do agree with the poster above that the AS SEA operation absolutely sucks when it snows. They appear to have no interest in fixing it for whatever reason.
AndyPatterson and SEA777GUY like this.

Last edited by Tack; Jan 1, 2022 at 12:53 pm
Old Jan 1, 2022, 9:54 pm

Flying to ORD tomorrow on an award ticket and just saw that my flight is canceled. When I try to change to a new flight, it is trying to require an additional 10,000 miles, which doesn't make any sense since I thought fare increases were waived under the current policy. Or are mileage tickets exempt? MVP if that matters.
Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
award vs cash shouldn’t matter … if you really need to fly tomorrow and don’t want to wait for an agent, I’d just take a screenshot of the change request, pony up the miles, and worry about the refund accounting later
Old Jan 1, 2022, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by jrl767
award vs cash shouldn’t matter … if you really need to fly tomorrow and don’t want to wait for an agent, I’d just take a screenshot of the change request, pony up the miles, and worry about the refund accounting later
Just called and got an instant callback. Pushed the flight back by a day and the mileage upcharge was waived--hope for better luck Monday. So far, good job AS!
williwaw, Mahogany and FlyerDigits like this.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Jan 2, 2022 at 12:18 am
Old Jan 2, 2022, 12:04 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Flight 246 HNL-SEA has been canceled three nights in a row.
anteater and TravelingZoomer like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 9:30 am

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Flight 246 HNL-SEA has been canceled three nights in a row.
Ah, good to know. Was thinking about jumping on that tomorrow. But if it's likely to be cancelled, and there is snow predicted at SEA, maybe I should aim for a different connecting airport…
Old Jan 2, 2022, 10:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
If anyone has called in and requested a callback, it might be worth calling back today if you haven't heard anything. It had been over 24 hours and I hadn't heard anything so I called back this morning and someone picked up the phone within a few seconds.
anteater and FlyerDigits like this.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 11:19 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Ah, good to know. Was thinking about jumping on that tomorrow. But if it's likely to be cancelled, and there is snow predicted at SEA, maybe I should aim for a different connecting airport…
I'm scheduled for that flight tonight. I got the notification asking for volunteers to take a different flight, so I wonder if it is actually overbooked at the moment.
Old Jan 2, 2022, 12:37 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Bretmd
Yes, there is a yearly snowstorm in Seattle that shuts the entire metro down from a few inches of snow, not just the airport. There are legitimate reasons why the region is unable to handle snow like other parts of the country but I won’t get into all of it here. Suffice to say that if you live in the area, you know what to expect when this happens, and yes, it seems to happen every year.

When it comes to the airport, it seems like de-icing is the main issue. Specifically, de-icing at the gate slows everything way down. Alaska is not going to be able to handle cold weather without finding an efficient way of de-icing in a more efficient place. So what is the solution here? Can this logistical problem be solved? Is there any will to solve it?
Because it does not happen frequently enough to justify the cost of the equipment - for metro Seattle, in general, or at the airport.

It's not like other airlines at Seattle were performing flawlessly either with inbound and outbound flights. It's just amplified with Alaska owning Seattle.
anteater and williwaw like this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Weird experience today: Canceled a flight in advance and the flight ended up being cancelled - AS still sent me an email and text message telling me that my flight was cancelled without viable alternatives in the next few days. Also, why doesn't AS allow customers to track refund status online? Seems like something that's missing from the website and would help with the phone volume that customer service is handling right now.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 12:31 am

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by ab2013
Weird experience today: Canceled a flight in advance and the flight ended up being cancelled - AS still sent me an email and text message telling me that my flight was cancelled without viable alternatives in the next few days. Also, why doesn't AS allow customers to track refund status online? Seems like something that's missing from the website and would help with the phone volume that customer service is handling right now.
Planning for what to do in a catastrophe is unlikely to happen when one doesn't plan for the catastrophe to happen in the first place.
ab2013 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by mtofell
Planning for what to do in a catastrophe is unlikely to happen when one doesn't plan for the catastrophe to happen in the first place.
this PERFECTLY describes how AS has dealt with winter weather in SEA and PDX over the last several years
ab2013 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2022, 2:08 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by jrl767
this PERFECTLY describes how AS has dealt with winter weather in SEA and PDX over the last several years
AS is great under normal conditions, but they really need to figure out a better online/self-serve process to help reduce the load on customer service - it seems to me that Seattle has had quite a bit more snow in the past few winters. Heck, even the city needs to do a better job clearing side streets of snow too so that people can actually make it to work after a snowstorm.
AS Flyer, Tack and 985X like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.