Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

It Would Seem That Upgrades on One Stop Flights Are Confusing

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2021, 2:11 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC

This morning I was flying AS 60 which flies JNU-KTN-SEA. I'm American Executive Platinum (OW Emerald) but had not cleared the upgrade prior to departure. I showed as #1 on the upgrade waitlist and asked the gate agent at JNU about it. She said the flight was weight restricted so she wasn't allowed to upgrade me. Now this seems a little odd as I was in 6F and I don't think moving me one row would change a lot but I did gain a lot of weight the last few years so maybe it would. Anyway, the flight had all of 50 people on it so who cares?

Once in KTN I asked the gate agent about the upgrade down to SEA. I knew this flight would be full so they could move all 280 pounds of me up to First no problem. However, the gate agent told me she didn't show me on the upgrade waitlist at all. I showed her the app which showed me at #1 and she told me that was only for my first flight. Sure enough I didn't show on the departure monitor at the gate at all so I was back in 6F down to SEA.

Is there a trick for these one stop flights I should know for the future? It was my first time on one of them and I'm still learning about the quirks in this new AA/AS partnership.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
This morning I was flying AS 60 which flies JNU-KTN-SEA. I'm American Executive Platinum (OW Emerald) but had not cleared the upgrade prior to departure. I showed as #1 on the upgrade waitlist and asked the gate agent at JNU about it. She said the flight was weight restricted so she wasn't allowed to upgrade me. Now this seems a little odd as I was in 6F and I don't think moving me one row would change a lot but I did gain a lot of weight the last few years so maybe it would. Anyway, the flight had all of 50 people on it so who cares?

Once in KTN I asked the gate agent about the upgrade down to SEA. I knew this flight would be full so they could move all 280 pounds of me up to First no problem. However, the gate agent told me she didn't show me on the upgrade waitlist at all. I showed her the app which showed me at #1 and she told me that was only for my first flight. Sure enough I didn't show on the departure monitor at the gate at all so I was back in 6F down to SEA.

Is there a trick for these one stop flights I should know for the future? It was my first time on one of them and I'm still learning about the quirks in this new AA/AS partnership.
Another FTer (I think in one of the threads about the "milk run" flights) mentioned that there is a separate upgrade list for each segment of these multi-stop flights and the gate agents in these SE Alaska cities do a good job of clearing elites if there is just upgrade space for one particular segment....not sure how that would work unless they manually broke up the segments. I have a SIT-ANC flight coming up with a stop in JNU and wondered if it would help my upgrade chances to split those segments up but I'm not sure that's possible without changing the pricing of the ticket.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 12:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there any way to be assigned different seat assignments for each segment without breaking the itinerary into separate segments?
Old Sep 1, 2021, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
Is there any way to be assigned different seat assignments for each segment without breaking the itinerary into separate segments?
Seat assignments, yes.

Cabin, no. The ticket would need to be split; it can be done but is rare... reissue required. These days there may be extra taxes too...
Old Sep 1, 2021, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
Seat assignments, yes.

Cabin, no. The ticket would need to be split; it can be done but is rare... reissue required. These days there may be extra taxes too...
Just chatted with an agent about it and they said you can't have different seat assignments on multi-stop flights so either they were misinformed or this is something that can only be done at the gate.
Old Sep 1, 2021, 4:34 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Just chatted with an agent about it and they said you can't have different seat assignments on multi-stop flights so either they were misinformed or this is something that can only be done at the gate.
Different seat assignments as in Y/premium/F?
Old Sep 1, 2021, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
Different seat assignments as in Y/premium/F?
Nope...same cabin but different seats...figured I would at least get PC as MVPG on these SE Alaska flights but it looks like it's going to be main cabin....My guess is that a relatively high % of non-elites are still paying for PC even without seat blocking. I was shocked the other day to overhear someone purchasing a middle PC seat on the SEA-PHL red-eye...maybe they had a middle in the back but still a lot of $$ for a middle.
Old Sep 2, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I agree with other posters. I believe you can only assign one seat for a single flight number, even if it stops multiple times. You could always ask at each stop to change your seat but it is not automatic.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 3:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
This is done at the gate.
pcoll likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by beckoa
This is done at the gate.
I didn't bother--by that time most of the seats I would have wanted would have been taken most likely.
Old Sep 7, 2021, 6:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Tanzanite 100K
CMK- the agent in Ketch misled you or had bad info, OR they knew #2 on the list and protected their "own" elites. I've been cleared many times on the final leg down to Seattle- but you mostly have to ask for it (as you did). They won't clear you on the intra-Ak segment (jnu/ktn) and put you back in steerage for ktn-sea.

*in fact my trip down here I was in steerage jnu/sit/ktn then upgraded out of Ketch.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.