FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It Would Seem That Upgrades on One Stop Flights Are Confusing
Old Aug 29, 2021, 2:24 pm
PDXPremier
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
This morning I was flying AS 60 which flies JNU-KTN-SEA. I'm American Executive Platinum (OW Emerald) but had not cleared the upgrade prior to departure. I showed as #1 on the upgrade waitlist and asked the gate agent at JNU about it. She said the flight was weight restricted so she wasn't allowed to upgrade me. Now this seems a little odd as I was in 6F and I don't think moving me one row would change a lot but I did gain a lot of weight the last few years so maybe it would. Anyway, the flight had all of 50 people on it so who cares?

Once in KTN I asked the gate agent about the upgrade down to SEA. I knew this flight would be full so they could move all 280 pounds of me up to First no problem. However, the gate agent told me she didn't show me on the upgrade waitlist at all. I showed her the app which showed me at #1 and she told me that was only for my first flight. Sure enough I didn't show on the departure monitor at the gate at all so I was back in 6F down to SEA.

Is there a trick for these one stop flights I should know for the future? It was my first time on one of them and I'm still learning about the quirks in this new AA/AS partnership.
Another FTer (I think in one of the threads about the "milk run" flights) mentioned that there is a separate upgrade list for each segment of these multi-stop flights and the gate agents in these SE Alaska cities do a good job of clearing elites if there is just upgrade space for one particular segment....not sure how that would work unless they manually broke up the segments. I have a SIT-ANC flight coming up with a stop in JNU and wondered if it would help my upgrade chances to split those segments up but I'm not sure that's possible without changing the pricing of the ticket.