Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Do You Think Most/Many Alaska Employees Know FlyerTalk Exists?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do You Think Most/Many Alaska Employees Know FlyerTalk Exists?

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2021, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by robsaw
I see no reason why such participation would be a threat to the employer or cause for discipline.
Please don't put words into my mouth. I never said anything about disciplinary action.

Originally Posted by robsaw
Proprietary information can be inappropriately shared in any forum on any subject whether directly related to the purpose of that forum or not - every person would therefore have to cease participation in any public discussion to avoid "accidental" sharing; what is required is simple responsibility. While open participation by airline employees is relatively rare, there certainly is some history here as well on other air travel discussion forums, in at least one case, a commercial airline pilot is a moderator.
Regardless, I stand by my belief that no airline is going to be okay with a gate/ticket agent talking online about how they do their job.

Perhaps I didn't express myself adequately. Except for a tiny number of exceptions, the people who inhabit FlyerTalk don't work in the industries that are discussed on this forum. So, no company is able to stop them from sharing proprietary information. But if a hotel, car rental, airline company discovers that an employee is participating here without authorization, I still believe it would be stopped immediately.

After thinking about this topic more today, I think the above discussion is purely academic.

After spending 40 hours (or more) every week dealing with airline passenger/hotel guests, the likelihood that any airline/hotel employee is going to voluntarily spend their precious free time discussing their job with the members of FlyerTalk is slim to none.
Old May 14, 2021, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by BOB W
Many tweaks Yes, except for that ham and egg wrap mess they are still serving on some flights.
There is no indication that the infamous ham and egg wrap is going away on May 16th although at least it won't be served on trans con or Hawaii routes anymore so there's something to celebrate
Old May 14, 2021, 7:29 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
After spending 40 hours (or more) every week dealing with airline passenger/hotel guests, the likelihood that any airline/hotel employee is going to voluntarily spend their precious free time discussing their job with the members of FlyerTalk is slim to none.
I know for a fact that there are people on FT that do work for the airlines. I have personally met a few of them at different DO's over the years. Also, I used to fly with FT tags on my carry-ons and was stopped several times by FA's who told me they follow the AS threads and liked some of the things I had posted. After all these years, my tags have faded, broken or fallen off, so I need to order new ones one of these days.
ACBLtd and TPJ like this.
Old May 14, 2021, 8:24 pm

Programs: MVP Gold 75K, Board Room, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Mom (Horizon) knows it exists.

I might be the only MVP Gold / Non-Rev.
Old May 14, 2021, 11:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I know for a fact that there are people on FT that do work for the airlines. I have personally met a few of them at different DO's over the years. Also, I used to fly with FT tags on my carry-ons and was stopped several times by FA's who told me they follow the AS threads and liked some of the things I had posted. After all these years, my tags have faded, broken or fallen off, so I need to order new ones one of these days.
Speaking of DOs...are these airline specific like an Alaska Airlines DO or are they simply regional?
Old May 15, 2021, 12:39 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
There is no indication that the infamous ham and egg wrap is going away on May 16th although at least it won't be served on trans con or Hawaii routes anymore so there's something to celebrate
as mentioned in my other post on the First Class meal forum, the ham and egg wrap is migrating to coach for breakfast flights, while FC is getting a different sandwich offering. The great part is that it's not your only option - there is also a protein plate or picnic packs to choose from if the sandwich isn't your first choice.
PDXPremier, ACBLtd, pcoll and 1 others like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 10:41 am

Speaking of DOs...are these airline specific like an Alaska Airlines DO or are they simply regional?
Most DO's are region specific. Cow Do is in Buenos Aires, OzFest is in Australia, SinDo is in Singapore, LondonDo, BooDO Sitges/BCN, AlaskaDO's (Yeah BABY!!!!) and those infamous SEADO's THERE MUST BE WINE BABY!!!! There are some airline based Do's but not many.

There are few DO's still going on. CowDO, OzFest & SinDO are still on. Most have slowly died out.
Old May 15, 2021, 11:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Consolidated DO list is a sticky thread in CommunityBuzz ... there have also been a handful of ad hoc meetups, but they havent appeared on that list unless the organizers decided to expand beyond maybe a dozen people (which, of course, has been impossible for the past ~15 months)
ACBLtd and NoLaGent like this.

Last edited by jrl767; May 15, 2021 at 11:12 am
Old May 15, 2021, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Maybe we need an Alaska Airlines specific DO sometime....I kinda like the idea of a flying DO like the time many of us got together for the last VX flight....I know inaugural flights can sometimes serve that purpose and I've always wanted to book one but they always seem to be during the work week and I think a weekend flight would be better. Think of all the people you talk to in this forum all the time that you've never met before....and no, this isn't my secret way of getting everyone on a plane to give me their chocolate chip cookies
worldwidedreamer and NoLaGent like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 1:10 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
United used to have quite a # of them. I went to one (2017 maybe?) that included a behind the scenes tour of the SFO Maintenance Facility and Hangars that was really fascinating.

ps: this was a FT/UA meet up, different from their big Family Day, which I've also been to.
worldwidedreamer likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 1:31 pm

Maybe we need an Alaska Airlines specific DO sometime....I kinda like the idea of a flying DO
We did that at one of the Alaska Do's a few years ago. We met with some of the top managers at ANC & the local AS based operation. We had a private meeting, then toured the airport grounds. One of the "VX More To Love" planes was on the ground and we got to inspect it close up.

Standing at the end of the runway at ANC March 2010!
Intl359Widget likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
United used to have quite a # of them. I went to one (2017 maybe?) that included a behind the scenes tour of the SFO Maintenance Facility and Hangars that was really fascinating.

ps: this was a FT/UA meet up, different from their big Family Day, which I've also been to.
Maybe we can talk Missy into arranging a FT tour of the AS Maintenance Facility and Corporate Headquarters in SEA.
BOB W, NoLaGent and Mahogany like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

We did that at one of the Alaska Do's a few years ago. We met with some of the top managers at ANC & the local AS based operation. We had a private meeting, then toured the airport grounds. One of the "VX More To Love" planes was on the ground and we got to inspect it close up.

Standing at the end of the runway at ANC March 2010!
Very cool....but I gotta ask....isn't the guy wearing shorts in the picture FREEZING?!?!
Mahogany likes this.
Old May 15, 2021, 4:40 pm

Very cool....but I gotta ask....isn't the guy wearing shorts in the picture FREEZING?!?!
Nope!! He was always in shorts until he got a management job and they made him wear long pants

One more just for fun
Old May 17, 2021, 2:58 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Regardless, I stand by my belief that no airline is going to be okay with a gate/ticket agent talking online about how they do their job.
As an ex Gate AAgent, I'm curious as to what you think is so proprietary to the job that the airline's management wouldn't want the Agents sharing on FT.
It's not like Gate Agents are privy to inside info like route/aircraft/fare planning. We show up for work, note the gate(s) we're assigned during the shift and work the flights that come to our gate.
I've had friends (and Dad) hang loose while working and all were impressed as to what the job involved.
I was on the official list of Agents willing to allow "walk a mile (in my shoes)" to other employees who wanted to tag along with a Gate Agent for a few hours.
I've read on FT about a Delta "DO" where FT'ers did a "walk a mile" with DL Gate Agents and (like my friends/Dad) were impressed with the scope.
I think it's a great idea for everyone (both "inside" employees in other positions and "outside" passengers) to understand each others point of view.
As in ... let me show you how you can help me help you ... and vice versa.

Wrong.
See my comments above.
See all posts by AS Flyer. All FT forums have such a (wonderful) person(s).
To some of us, our job isn't just a "daily grind" that we have to do. For some of us, our job is a passion.
To your point ... the percentage of airline employees who like to participate in FT is probably small (actually the topic of this thread), but to say "slim to none" is also way off the mark.
Mahogany likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.