FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Do You Think Most/Many Alaska Employees Know FlyerTalk Exists?
Old May 14, 2021, 6:39 pm
writerguyfl

Originally Posted by robsaw
I see no reason why such participation would be a threat to the employer or cause for discipline.
Please don't put words into my mouth. I never said anything about disciplinary action.

Originally Posted by robsaw
Proprietary information can be inappropriately shared in any forum on any subject whether directly related to the purpose of that forum or not - every person would therefore have to cease participation in any public discussion to avoid "accidental" sharing; what is required is simple responsibility. While open participation by airline employees is relatively rare, there certainly is some history here as well on other air travel discussion forums, in at least one case, a commercial airline pilot is a moderator.
Regardless, I stand by my belief that no airline is going to be okay with a gate/ticket agent talking online about how they do their job.

Perhaps I didn't express myself adequately. Except for a tiny number of exceptions, the people who inhabit FlyerTalk don't work in the industries that are discussed on this forum. So, no company is able to stop them from sharing proprietary information. But if a hotel, car rental, airline company discovers that an employee is participating here without authorization, I still believe it would be stopped immediately.

After thinking about this topic more today, I think the above discussion is purely academic.

After spending 40 hours (or more) every week dealing with airline passenger/hotel guests, the likelihood that any airline/hotel employee is going to voluntarily spend their precious free time discussing their job with the members of FlyerTalk is slim to none.