Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Mileage expired soon.... Need help

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2021, 7:00 pm
Original Poster

My Mileage with Alaska airline will be expired in a next couple days. What is the best way right now for me to keep my account in active before 4/21/2021. I have no plan trip until at least next year.
I am thinking of donating 1000 miles or buy 1000 miles . but not sure if that will work. And how long to see the mile will deduct or deposit to my account.Can someone please advise. Thank you
Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If any participating restaurants are near you, this might work: https://mileageplan.rewardsnetwork.com

You could also spend as little as 100 miles and a few dollars on a magazine subscription: https://magsformiles.com/20002672/
Old Apr 18, 2021, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
With only 3 days to go I'd buy or donate miles.
dayone likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:06 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
In my experience, miles for participating in the Opinion Terminal surveys post almost instantaneously, and should count as activity to keep your account active: https://www.theopinionterminal.com/
Old Apr 19, 2021, 10:22 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
^ this is true, they post in seconds.
be_rettSEA and willoL like this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 3:22 pm
Original Poster

Thank you ALL for your help. I did join the opinion terminal survey and get 5 Alaska miles deposit into my account. I hope my account will automatically reset to active until April 2023.
PABE, pcoll, chrisl137 and 2 others like this.
Old Apr 19, 2021, 9:42 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by vnfilm1
My Mileage with Alaska airline will be expired in a next couple days. What is the best way right now for me to keep my account in active before 4/21/2021. I have no plan trip until at least next year.
I am thinking of donating 1000 miles or buy 1000 miles . but not sure if that will work. And how long to see the mile will deduct or deposit to my account.Can someone please advise. Thank you
Wow! I'm glad I read this thread, as my Thai GF's account balance was days away from expiring. Interesting that the T&C's start out by saying the miles never expire...BUT no activity for 24 months is the exception. She donated 1000 miles to Make-a-Wish of the Bay Area. Thanks.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 6:32 am

Just for future references, donating miles will take 3-5 business days to post to the account.
minz56 and willoL like this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:02 pm

Originally Posted by vnfilm1
dude. i just looked up the AS T&C for miles expiration. they never expire now?! what?! since when?! not complaining, but i was expecting more news coverage on this.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/faq-benefits
Mileage Plan miles do not expire. For account security purposes, we will continue to lock accounts that have been inactive for more than 2 years. If your account has been locked due to inactivity, call Guest Care to verify your identity, and they’ll reactivate the account for you. All miles in the account will still be there for you to use.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
dude. i just looked up the AS T&C for miles expiration. they never expire now?! what?! since when?! not complaining, but i was expecting more news coverage on this.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...s/faq-benefits
Mileage Plan miles do not expire. For account security purposes, we will continue to lock accounts that have been inactive for more than 2 years. If your account has been locked due to inactivity, call Guest Care to verify your identity, and they’ll reactivate the account for you. All miles in the account will still be there for you to use.

On March 1 that page still showed

Do my miles expire?
Mileage Plan miles do not expire, and may be left in your account as long as the Mileage Plan program exists. However, if there is no activity (earning miles or using miles) on your account for 2 years, the account will expire and your miles will be deleted.”

https://web.archive.org/web/20220301...s/faq-benefits

In April it had been changed to what it shows now. I didn’t check every update in archive.org to narrow it down further.
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
On March 1 that page still showed

Do my miles expire?
Mileage Plan miles do not expire, and may be left in your account as long as the Mileage Plan program exists. However, if there is no activity (earning miles or using miles) on your account for 2 years, the account will expire and your miles will be deleted.”

https://web.archive.org/web/20220301...s/faq-benefits

In April it had been changed to what it shows now. I didn’t check every update in archive.org to narrow it down further.
thank you for looking that up. appreciate it. i didnt think to use the way back machine to verify changes in T&Cs. but sounds like this happened very recently and silently. nice to see a positive change. i hope all airlines and hotels adopts this, but 24 mo was already solid. the worst is when there are hard deadlines after earned vs simple activity to extend.
Old Jun 27, 2022, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
thank you for looking that up. appreciate it. i didnt think to use the way back machine to verify changes in T&Cs. but sounds like this happened very recently and silently. nice to see a positive change. i hope all airlines and hotels adopts this, but 24 mo was already solid. the worst is when there are hard deadlines after earned vs simple activity to extend.
Just booked a ticket for a relative today who (AFAIK) doesn’t have an AS account. I didn’t bother creating one for her, but might do that now. I don’t know if it will ever accrue enough miles for an award, but since I am usually paying for the occasional travel, I will just take on the responsibility of managing it. Maybe I’ll get a 5k award mile award out of it in five years
GundamWing01 likes this.
Old Jun 28, 2022, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Just booked a ticket for a relative today who (AFAIK) doesn’t have an AS account. I didn’t bother creating one for her, but might do that now. I don’t know if it will ever accrue enough miles for an award, but since I am usually paying for the occasional travel, I will just take on the responsibility of managing it. Maybe I’ll get a 5k award mile award out of it in five years
ya. you def should now that miles dont expire. was this award or rev booking? dont let those miles go to waste. not only that, you can get some bonus miles from other activities to get at least 5k miles for a cheap award flight.

https://mileageplan.rewardsnetwork.c...w-member-bonus
For a limited time, join Mileage Plan Dining and earn 1,000 bonus miles — in addition to earning miles for every dollar spent at participating restaurants, bars and clubs.

Create your online account by linking your credit and/or debit cards. Then, within the first 30 days:
  • Dine at a participating restaurant.
  • Spend $30 or more.
  • Complete an online review.
  • Earn 1,000 bonus miles.
also, alaska always has shopping portal bonuses. dont think any active now, but im sure there will be soon.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Yesterday, 3:55 pm

Subscribed, did a couple benign surveys giving almost no info. Didn't qualify but got 5 comp miles each. Miles posted instantly. Absolutely amazing! Thank you!
dgreen12 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.