Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska 737 MAX - Planes, Flights and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 4, 2021, 5:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
For a complete list of 737-MAX planes in the Alaska fleet see here: https://alaskafleetstatus.weebly.com/737-9-max.html
Print Wikipost

Alaska 737 MAX - Planes, Flights and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
It looks like the MAX is now being deployed between SEA/PDX and Hawaii. So much for waiting on the WiFi to be installed... From what I've heard, that could still be several months away, at a minimum.
which routes specifically and on what days?
Old Jul 20, 2021, 9:29 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by ASA_1
which routes specifically and on what days?
It looks like the 1x daily PDX-HNL and one of the SEA-KOA flights from what I see. I haven't looked out too far or checked other routes but imagine there aren't many other Hawaii flights, simply due to the lack of MAX frames at the moment.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 10:26 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Flights to Hawaii should not be operated on planes without Wi-Fi. Heck, they shouldn't be operated on planes without satellite Wi-Fi.
buschoi likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 10:27 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by hoyohoyo123
Just reporting back after the flight.

Obviously, always nice to be on a relatively, brand-new plane with that new plane smell and cleanliness.

I flew in F, was passed out for most of the flight. No Internet for sure on the flight, but I think even the IFE wifi (connect to gogoinflight/Alaska_WiFi) was not available. At least from the few times I checked for a WiFi network.
Same for us on June 30.
Very surprised no WiFi or Entertainment available on flight. FA was surprised to find that neither had been installed yet.
Replacement for cancelled flight, and did not see it was MAX until onboard.
FA was surprised this was the case after I enquired.
Ventilation was very poor on this flight. Fuel and hydrologic fumes for first 15 minutes. Very low air flow, perhaps they closed it down to minimum? I guess it was really new!
Old Jul 20, 2021, 11:04 pm

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by dayone
Flights to Hawaii should not be operated on planes without Wi-Fi. Heck, they shouldn't be operated on planes without satellite Wi-Fi.
I've always wondered why they can't just schedule the planes with the 2Ku on the Hawaii routes and use the older technology ATG-4 equipped planes over land where they get wifi? That way, everyone would have wifi. I suppose there's more important aspects of the decision than my desire to send a couple emails while flying to Hawaii but it would be nice.

I haven't seen any Max planes scheduled on my flights to/from PDX/SEA to OGG and have a few booked through the fall.
buschoi likes this.
Old Jul 20, 2021, 11:55 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
Same for us on June 30.
Very surprised no WiFi or Entertainment available on flight. FA was surprised to find that neither had been installed yet.
Replacement for cancelled flight, and did not see it was MAX until onboard.
FA was surprised this was the case after I enquired.
Ventilation was very poor on this flight. Fuel and hydrologic fumes for first 15 minutes. Very low air flow, perhaps they closed it down to minimum? I guess it was really new!
One would hope they would not be flying to Hawaii on planes lacking streaming IFE.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 1:54 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold
Seriously people - I DO NOT WANT WIFI on planes. I can download movies before take off. It’s actually nice to unplug. And Hawaii is a leisure route - download your movies before you go. You can text everyone when you land. Just enjoy some offline time!
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by mikexner
Seriously people - I DO NOT WANT WIFI on planes. I can download movies before take off. It’s actually nice to unplug. And Hawaii is a leisure route - download your movies before you go. You can text everyone when you land. Just enjoy some offline time!
You always have the option not to connect to it if you don't want to, but I really appreciate the ability to browse the internet and stay in touch with people on the ground and find it frustrating when I don't. At this point, it's a pretty basic amenity (like in-seat power), that I expect on flights over an hour or two.
buschoi, NoLaGent, hbtr and 3 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:29 am

a bit out of touch with the 21st century. Also, what about AVgeeks like me who like to watch surrounding traffic on FlightRadar24 as they fly along? That's more entertaining for me than most movies out there.
buschoi, NoLaGent, hbtr and 1 others like this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a bit out of touch with the 21st century. Also, what about AVgeeks like me who like to watch surrounding traffic on FlightRadar24 as they fly along? That's more entertaining for me than most movies out there.
Or the simulated cockpit view on landing? I've done that both on aircraft that I'm on and on aircraft I was waiting to pick someone up from.

Wifi on aircraft has also let me manage living in two places transparently by being able to be "at work" while flying back to be local to work before the whole zombie apocalypse thing happened.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:34 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Does anyone know when Alaska Airlines started flying Max's? I was on a flight a few years ago SFO - LAS. The ascent over the SF bay was memorable.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by PaperGlider
Does anyone know when Alaska Airlines started flying Max's? I was on a flight a few years ago SFO - LAS. The ascent over the SF bay was memorable.
March 1st, 2021
First 737 MAX Flights on 3/1/2021
Old Jul 21, 2021, 10:56 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
Thank you.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 11:53 am

Wow such elitism and entitlement. Not everyone can afford taking off up to 12 hours (back and forth) to go to Hawaii. Some of us still has to work and we need to have wifi to do so. Just because you don't want something that doesn't mean you should deprive everyone of it. Step out of your little privileged bubble and try put yourself in other people's shoe for once.
buschoi likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2021, 2:23 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by AndyKehn
Wow such elitism and entitlement. Not everyone can afford taking off up to 12 hours (back and forth) to go to Hawaii. Some of us still has to work and we need to have wifi to do so. Just because you don't want something that doesn't mean you should deprive everyone of it. Step out of your little privileged bubble and try put yourself in other people's shoe for once.
I see no indication that OP wanted to “deprive” others of something. Just that they appreciate (and uh... "strongly recommend" to others) the time being unplugged.

And given the current possibility of being served internet lemons, it's not a bad idea to be prepared with the syrup and water to make something drinkable. As someone who has a device full of offline content for just those situations, I appreciate the recommendation.

Having said that, I do like to still have the *option* to plug in and, if necessary, do work that might require an internet connection. Even on a leisure trip, sometimes there’s a fire that needs to be put out from a distance. So I look forward to the completed satellite internet rollout. Either way, good to be warned of the chance of getting a MAX with no streaming content in the meantime.

Last edited by Calculon; Jul 21, 2021 at 5:44 pm Reason: Fix weird phone formatting that dropped ellipsis and quotes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.