Search

Complimentary Upgrades on American (AA)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2021, 9:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
AA 2603 (737-800)
10/10/21
Never showed up on the upgrade list, but at least had a MCE seat.
Boarding Pass said "Priority Group 2".
First time flying AA since becoming a 75K
anteater likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 8:29 am

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Are you folks getting upgraded early also AA elites? I didn't get either SNA/DFW/FLL a couple of weeks, ago, and I was supposed to fly back last Thursday (FLL/DFW/SNA) and I was so far down the upgrade list I didn't even show up on the app.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 8:31 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Are you folks getting upgraded early also AA elites? I didn't get either SNA/DFW/FLL a couple of weeks, ago, and I was supposed to fly back last Thursday (FLL/DFW/SNA) and I was so far down the upgrade list I didn't even show up on the app.
I have no AA status and I booked a 4 segment flight yesterday, scheduled for this Wednesday, and received upgrades on 3/4 segments within half an hour of ticketing. I'm not sure how AA manages upgrade inventory, however, I can say that there were a decent number more seats available up front on the three flights I was upgraded on vs the one I haven't been.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 9:13 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Any flight out of DFW in either direction just be happy you got MCE at booking.
dayone likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Any flight out of DFW in either direction just be happy you got MCE at booking.
That's what I'd figured, but one would think a mid-morning, mid-week flight out of secondary(?) markets like FLL and SNA wouldn't be so top-heavy with elites.

I may have to go FLL-CLT-DTW next week ... maybe I'll fare better
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:39 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
That's what I'd figured, but one would think a mid-morning, mid-week flight out of secondary(?) markets like FLL and SNA wouldn't be so top-heavy with elites.

It's hard to predict. I got upgraded on both AUS-DFW and DFW-PDX several days in advance. They were mid-week evening flights, so that might have helped.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:15 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*

SNA is very elite top-heavy for AA, and UA also. Otherwise AA never would've done this:

https://liveandletsfly.com/american-airlines-sna-jfk/
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:31 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by NoLaGent
SNA is very elite top-heavy for AA
And lots of paid F, like PBI.
kennycrudup and simonsuo like this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 4:30 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
AA 2289 LAX-MIA on a 777 UPG'd to business about 72 hrs prior to departure. I didn't receive an email about the UPG. I'm AS MVPGOLD 75. Nice ride, but then it was an A319 on my MIA-BWI segment.
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2021, 12:44 pm

Originally Posted by dayone
And lots of paid F, like PBI.
Yeah, I believe it. I'm just cheap trying to maximize my miles-per-dollar ratio
Old Oct 13, 2021, 4:17 pm

Programs: AS 100K
I'm a 75K
10/9
DFW-SEA booked on AA as an award
Upgraded from MCE to F at T-3 hours
No idea how far down on the list I was. I wasn't concerned about getting an upgrade since I was traveling with a companion and never looked. They had already placed someone in my MCE seat, so I asked if I could give it to them so I could have my MCE seat back. No issues.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 5:21 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k - UA Premier Gold - AA Platinum Pro
Any data or success stories around getting upgraded to business on transcon routes?

I have upcoming SFO > JFK travel planned and will likely end up having to fly AA. Seat maps are currently only showing 5 booked seats, but I've read they fill up fast at the last minute?

I also don't pay for ExpertFlyer, so I'm not sure how else I can find out..
Old Oct 15, 2021, 5:34 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ShutUpDonnie
Any data or success stories around getting upgraded to business on transcon routes?

I have upcoming SFO > JFK travel planned and will likely end up having to fly AA. Seat maps are currently only showing 5 booked seats, but I've read they fill up fast at the last minute?

I also don't pay for ExpertFlyer, so I'm not sure how else I can find out..
I have been upgraded on 1 LAX-MIA Flagship Business flight & 2 MIA-LAX Flagship Business flights. Many more short haul & midcons too.

Yes, the seats do fill quickly last minute. I flew PHX-LAX this morning. 2 hours before departure 5F unassigned as per EF. I was #1 of 12 on the waitlist. 10 minutes before boarding, I cleared and the only one to get upgraded.

PHX-LAX delayed twice, now on the A321T LAX-JFK in J, also delayed twice. This is the last segment of an AA J award. The others were flown last week.

James
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k - UA Premier Gold - AA Platinum Pro
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I have been upgraded on 1 LAX-MIA Flagship Business flight & 2 MIA-LAX Flagship Business flights. Many more short haul & midcons too.

Yes, the seats do fill quickly last minute. I flew PHX-LAX this morning. 2 hours before departure 5F unassigned as per EF. I was #1 of 12 on the waitlist. 10 minutes before boarding, I cleared and the only one to get upgraded.

PHX-LAX delayed twice, now on the A321T LAX-JFK in J, also delayed twice. This is the last segment of an AA J award. The others were flown last week.

James
Thanks for this, James. Very helpful!

Two stupid questions, as someone relatively new to getting this into the details:

- In the absence of an EF subscription, is the in app seat map a fairly accurate representation of the actual count?
- If I had a choice of flights, I would probably be best off picking one with the least amount in business and MCE, right? Assuming that business would get upgraded to first and then MCE upgraded to business?

Thanks in advance! Still finding my way through all of these weeds. And boy, there's a LOT of them.
Old Oct 15, 2021, 6:51 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
I guess I'm not in the market for AA domestic upgrade, the way it stands in 2021. I prefer full AS miles earn booking direct on AS than getting tiny earn and upgradnig booking AA directly.

Jiburi

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.