Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrades on American (AA)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2021, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Lucky you! Is that the infamous Casper bedding I see in your picture? I have yet to get the bedding. More consistently though, poorly maintained aircraft.
Yes Casper blanket and pillow. I did have that one broken piece, left side below the foot rest

Last edited by CDKing; Sep 24, 2021 at 6:56 pm
Old Sep 24, 2021, 8:42 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I recently had the same experience on LAX-MIA. My “Flagship” experience included a 2 hour crew related delay, broken WiFi, no Casper bedding and a hot meal (with a stale roll) served on an ice cold tray 20 minutes after takeoff. Glad it only cost me 25K Alaska miles and not $1000+ cash.
That sums it up. 9 of 10 upgrades, 9 of 10 issues. The roll should be classified as weapon. 😆 Still not worth the $399 they are selling it for now.

James
tobikosan likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 10:16 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
As an AS MVPG75K, I am 100% on complimentary AA upgrades since the process was automated. Prior to automation, I was upgraded on 9 of 10 segments including one with an MVP companion. [...]
Ah, was there a switchover date for when this started being automated? It's nice that it finally is.
Old Sep 25, 2021, 11:31 pm

Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Ah, was there a switchover date for when this started being automated? It's nice that it finally is.
I don't know the exact date but sometime between July 14th & August 27th. It might have been after AA Platinum Pro was elevated to OWE. The boarding pass now says Platinum Pro while prior it said Executive Platinum.

James
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:42 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
9/25/2021
AA2431 LAX-ORD B738 NOT UPGRADED. I was #5 of 10, no one cleared. But hey, at least I got Euro Biz in bulkhead row
anteater likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 10:31 am

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
28 AUG 2021 | AA 3083 (AS Codeshare 4163) | ORD/GRR | CRJ-701ER | Upgraded at ~T-1.5
  • Ticket purchased 20 AUG 2021
  • This was part of an itin purchased via AS so I was surprised to be upgraded on an AA segment. I'd thought AA upgrades could happen only on flights reserved directly with AA.
  • I don't know where I was in an upgrade list; the AS app didn't show it and I didn't check the monitor at the gate.
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I wonder if they've fixed it so code shares are upgrade eligible now....any other reports of upgrades on codeshares?
The AA return portion of this itin:
25 SEP 2021 | AA 6079 (AS Codeshare 6840) | GRR/ORD | Embraer ERJ-145LR
* But I was perfectly happy to stay in my exit row 12A MCE seat for such a short flight: 28 minutes wheels up to wheels down, 12 minutes from wheels down to the gate.
* Completely full flight, but with the oddity that two passengers with the exact same name were both assigned 12C. Someone up front (non-rev? standby pax?) had to give up her seat for one of them.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
* But I was perfectly happy to stay in my exit row 12A MCE seat for such a short flight: 28 minutes wheels up to wheels down, 12 minutes from wheels down to the gate.
* Completely full flight, but with the oddity that two passengers with the exact same name were both assigned 12C. Someone up front (non-rev? standby pax?) had to give up her seat for one of them.
Was F full?
Old Sep 26, 2021, 12:41 pm

Was F full?
Yes. Every seat on the flight filled.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 3:47 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Yes. Every seat on the flight filled.
Was F full?
No F on E145s, and I think the three exit row seats are the only MCE ones.
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by SOCguy
No F on E145s, and I think the three exit row seats are the only MCE ones.
That makes it even cooler that the AA agent recommended 12A over 5A when I called in for seat selection. The little overhead bins above row 12 were marked "Reserved for MCE seating" or something like that too, so perhaps I got the best equivalent of FC on an E145 after all. In any case, I enjoyed my unobstructed view of Lake Michigan the whole way there.
PDXPremier and SOCguy like this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 8:26 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
9/26/2021

AA1317 ORD-DEN B738. Upgraded at the gate. I was #1 of 1. First class departed full.

AA1283 DEN-LAX A321. I was #1 of 1. First class had 5 seats open when I was in AC. Then when I arrived at the gate, I noticed 5 standby pax got the UG. I asked the GA if first class is available. She said no, first class is technically full. So I talked to another agent. I said I should get the UG since I'm the only pax on the UG list. He asked if I'm non-rev. I said no, I'm a revenue pax, I should get UG ahead of non-rev, right? He said yeah and gave me the UG although it's not the seat I requested which was taken by non-rev. After door is closed, I checked again, 2 more pax got added to UG list, didn't clear. 3 more pax got added to standby list (all cleared into main cabin), all ahead of the initial 5 standby pax who got the UG. Gate agent shenanigans I guess? And no apologies from GA at all.
anteater and simonsuo like this.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 10:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 985X
9/26/2021

AA1317 ORD-DEN B738. Upgraded at the gate. I was #1 of 1. First class departed full.

AA1283 DEN-LAX A321. I was #1 of 1. First class had 5 seats open when I was in AC. Then when I arrived at the gate, I noticed 5 standby pax got the UG. I asked the GA if first class is available. She said no, first class is technically full. So I talked to another agent. I said I should get the UG since I'm the only pax on the UG list. He asked if I'm non-rev. I said no, I'm a revenue pax, I should get UG ahead of non-rev, right? He said yeah and gave me the UG although it's not the seat I requested which was taken by non-rev. After door is closed, I checked again, 2 more pax got added to UG list, didn't clear. 3 more pax got added to standby list (all cleared into main cabin), all ahead of the initial 5 standby pax who got the UG. Gate agent shenanigans I guess? And no apologies from GA at all.
I hope this doesn't mean we are back to day-of-departure upgrades after begging GAs....ugh.
Old Sep 26, 2021, 11:24 pm

I hope this doesn't mean we are back to day-of-departure upgrades after begging GAs....ugh.
I don't see this as back to day-of-departue upgrades. It is no different than AS Elites not being immediately upgraded when their window opens. You could be processor upgraded anytime thereafter, upgraded at the gate or not upgraded at all. Not once have I had to beg for an AA upgrade. EF has been valuable in determining available seats. On one flight, F was full but when I checked EF 10 minutes before boarding 3D was vacated. I approached the GA and told him I was #1 on the upgrade list. He checked the computer, ask for ID and printed an F boarding pass for me. The seat assignment was 3D. On another flight with a full F cabin, my companion & I were #1 & #2 on the upgrade list. We were upgraded. The GA paged me. I also have had new boarding passes waiting for me in JFK, DFW, PHX & LAX.

What the poster describes is not uncommon with AA and discussed in the AA forum. It is also not unique to AA. I have on several occasions been skipped over on AS as a solo traveler and #1 on the upgrade list with 2 open F seats 10 minutes before departure. I anticipate they went to non-revs. I also watched a non AS Elite pay the upgrade fee taking the last F seat with me #1 on the upgrade list. UA limited gate agents on what they could do for upgrades because there were so many complaints.

James
Old Sep 26, 2021, 11:50 pm

Programs: Yes
I also watched a non AS Elite pay the upgrade fee taking the last F seat with me #1 on the upgrade list.
While anyone can pay up to a full F fare prior to boarding, if you ever see a GA selling upgrades to FC prior to processing the FC upgrade list please report it to AS. 🙌🏻
Old Sep 27, 2021, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by anteater
While anyone can pay up to a full F fare prior to boarding, if you ever see a GA selling upgrades to FC prior to processing the FC upgrade list please report it to AS. 🙌🏻
AS can't do anything in this case since this is an AA flight. The AA GA has all the power.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.