Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrades on American (AA)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
Just booked some domestic flights on AA and they do not show Upgrade Requested. Does anyone know if there's a new policy update or there's a bug?
It won't show instantly after purchase. It may take an hour or so to process and then you will see an "upgrades" button on the bottom when you go into the PNR. Waitlists don't show at T-24 either, you may not see it until T-4.

This is a J award, no Business available at purchase on LIR-MIA but the flight is 5 miles shorter than SEA-PHX so not a biggie!

The Flahship J, MIA-LAX & LAX-JFK will get FLL access in MIA & JFK on arrival, both of which are now open. LAX will be the sAAd AC offering.

75Ks are eligible for upgrades on AS Awards.

James
simonsuo likes this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Oct 3, 2021 at 3:36 pm
Old Oct 3, 2021, 5:31 pm

Like many of the datapoints posted in this thread, I’ve been the recipient of several advance upgrades on AA flights as early as ~70 hours before departure. In the event that I’m not upgraded until day of departure, I’m usually at the top of the upgrade list. However, the other day I experienced IRROPS, and when I had to change flights a few hours before departure due to a delayed flight, upgrade priority went out the window.

Alaska clearly spells out on their website that 75Ks receive upgrade priority after Platinum Pro elites:

Great, this means 75Ks should be considered UPG3 on AA’s PALL list, right? Nope. Every other AA elite, including Gold members, are prioritizing ahead of “partner elites.”

I inquired about this once I got to the Admirals Club. The agent seemed dumbfounded and then proceeded to show me his computer screen — which is 75Ks are coded UPP on the PALL list, which is “partner elite”. There was no way for the agent to select UPG3 or any other category for that matter.

So, in my case, when an AA Gold submitted an upgrade request 30 minutes before boarding my flight to MIA, I went from the only one on the list to #2. Fortunately we both got the upgrade, but there is something concerning when AA’s systems aren’t prioritizing 75Ks in the event of IRROPS, and even worse when AA frontline employees insist AA elites will always be prioritized over 75Ks.

Anyone else experienced something similar? I don’t understand why AA’s automated system can prioritize the upgrade waitlists correctly, but in the case of IRROPS when human intervention is required, the system defaults to UPP for 75Ks which means we are listed at the very bottom.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It won't show instantly after purchase. It may take an hour or so to process and then you will see an "upgrades" button on the bottom when you go into the PNR. Waitlists don't show at T-24 either, you may not see it until T-4.
The upgrade waitlist is visible beginning 12 hours before departure in the AA app.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by Robert
However, the other day I experienced IRROPS, and when I had to change flights a few hours before departure due to a delayed flight, upgrade priority went out the window.
Not sure if it’s related, but upgrade requests on AA get messed up with rebookings after irrops.

Even as an AA elite, I often don’t even get waitlisted at all on the new flight(s), and I have to ask the AC agent or GA to put me back on the waitlist.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by econ
Not sure if it’s related, but upgrade requests on AA get messed up with rebookings after irrops.

Even as an AA elite, I often don’t even get waitlisted at all on the new flight(s), and I have to ask the AC agent or GA to put me back on the waitlist.
Thanks for the insight, econ. This matches my experience as well. As soon as I switched to the new flights in the app, I had to call AA to request upgrades. Once I realized I wasn’t showing on the waitlist for either flight I asked the agent at the AC to add me. That’s when I noticed I was dead last on the list from DCA — PIT and then the whole PALL priority was revealed. I didn’t bother about the upgrade to PIT, but pressed the issue with the AC agent in PIT for the PIT — MIA segment.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:05 pm

The upgrade waitlist is visible beginning 12 hours before departure in the AA app.
I have had a reservation where the upgrade list didn't show up until T-4. Good to know it is T-12 or, at least, supposed to be. We know it isn't T-24 like AS. It kind of leaves you in limbo if you aren't seeing the upgrade request. Is the request processing or was there not a request?

James
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:08 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LTTE/AMB, AmEx Plat, National EE, WN A-List, CLEAR+, Covid-19
Where do these credit? I landed Wednesday evening and neither AS nor AA are showing any activity.

FWIW, I was 0 for 2 SNA-DFW-FLL Weds 29th, but each flight had 4 and 7 (then 8) ahead of me, respectively.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by kennycrudup
Where do these credit? I landed Wednesday evening and neither AS nor AA are showing any activity.

FWIW, I was 0 for 2 SNA-DFW-FLL Weds 29th, but each flight had 4 and 7 (then 8) ahead of me, respectively.
AA flights credited to AS will post overnight Tuesday with a late Monday cutoff. Fly Monday morning, post Tuesday overnight Wednesday. Fly Monday late evening, it will post overnight Tuesday the following week.

I had a Monday 2 segment itinerary. One segment posted on Wednesday, the other the following Wednesday.

James
kennycrudup likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2021, 8:32 pm

Great, this means 75Ks should be considered UPG3 on AA’s PALL list, right? Nope. Every other AA elite, including Gold members, are prioritizing ahead of “partner elites.”

I inquired about this once I got to the Admirals Club. The agent seemed dumbfounded and then proceeded to show me his computer screen — which is 75Ks are coded UPP on the PALL list, which is “partner elite”. There was no way for the agent to select UPG3 or any other category for that matter.
Do you think this happening during IRROPS only? I was added to the waitlist for an AS codeshare flight which I don't think is eligible. There was no upgrade request on the segment after purchase.. When requested & added at T-1.5, I popped into the #3 position and there were 12 below me.

James
Old Oct 3, 2021, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Do you think this happening during IRROPS only? I was added to the waitlist for an AS codeshare flight which I don't think is eligible. There was no upgrade request on the segment after purchase.. When requested & added at T-1.5, I popped into the #3 position and there were 12 below me.

James
I know you mentioned trying Twitter once to no avail but have you ever successfully been added to a codeshare flight by either calling or social media like Twitter so you didn't have to wait until you arrived at the ticket counter to ask?
Old Oct 4, 2021, 12:42 am

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I know you mentioned trying Twitter once to no avail but have you ever successfully been added to a codeshare flight by either calling or social media like Twitter so you didn't have to wait until you arrived at the ticket counter to ask?
How is one to contact AA when you don't have AA status? There isn't a priority line for AS Elites. I don't bother calling as the last time I was prompted, "we will call you back in more than 4 hours." That doesn't help when time is of the essence. The last two Tweets were replied to in 6 & 8 hours respectively. I wanted to SDC a segment but since I couldn't get in touch with anyone, I just did a no-show. Now that the requests are automated, you can request a SDC online.

As far as requesting upgrades on an AS codeshare, I know that you can be added but I don't know if you should be added. It took the Priority check-in agent a while to make it happen. It isn't a published benefit and I wouldn't want to see abuse. I inquired at check-in out of curiosity expecting an explanation and a no so being added was a surprise. I did try Twitter prior to check-in. That was the 8 hour response time telling me to contact AS.

I am happy in MCE earning 100% EQM on AS so unless the flight looks like it is departing with empty F seats, I won't make a habit of requesting.

James
PDXPremier and simonsuo like this.

Last edited by Flying for Fun; Oct 4, 2021 at 12:49 am
Old Oct 7, 2021, 9:15 pm

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
Oct 9th
AA3214 LAX-SJC CRJ7 Upgraded at T-66.

Feel like cheating flying AA instead of AS on this route even though I earn the same amount of miles...
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2021, 3:54 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75k, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat, Kenya Airways Gold
Oct 8th
AA2791 DFW-MCO A321 #7/18 (didn’t UG)

Last edited by ItsAnAdam; Oct 8, 2021 at 3:55 pm Reason: bolding
Old Oct 10, 2021, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Sun 10 Oct
AA5165 (CRJ-700) ROC-PHL
75K, N fare purchased 24 Sep

got text notification of new seat (2F) at T-40 min
Ford Fairlane likes this.
Old Oct 10, 2021, 7:51 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
AA Flt. 2544 CLT-MCO Boeing 737-800 10/121/2021 AS MVPG75K upgraded at 72 hour window to 4E. Moved to 2B. Expecting very little as far as service on this flight, which is what AA is famous for offering these days...It is what it is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.