Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Upgrades on American (AA)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2021, 1:09 am

Programs: MVP100K, A-list, Marriott/IHG Plat, CHP525 Ticket Plat, CHP Solo Carpool 100K, Costco EXP, Tinder 1K
8/27/2021
AA1379 LAX-DEN Cleared at T-70. Initially LUS A321crAAp, swapped to Oasis A321 at T-24. Me (75k) and companion (general member) both got upgraded on a single PNR.

8/29/2021
AA1283 DEN-LAX Cleared at T-70. A321S with IFE for now, hopefully it doesn't get swapped. Initially me and my companion were on a single PNR, both got MCE for free. Since the ticket was booked thru studentuniverse and there's a price drop, I called studentuniverse and they gave us a flight credit for the fare difference. I used that fare difference to book a new ticket next month, agent mistakenly cancelled my original DEN-LAX, so I called them to fix it. Therefore, my companion and I had separate PNRs. I accessed my companion's reservation, he was still in his original MCE seat, but the system is charging him extra if he wanted to switch to other MCE seats, and his manage reservation page still showed "upgrade requested". I called reservation to make sure he is still on upgrade list and asked agent to link reservation. At T-70 we both got upgraded. Just a DP since I'm probably the first one facing such situation. As long as your original reservation are under the same PNR, even if the PNR got split later for whatever reasons, your companion UG request will process as usual.
Old Aug 28, 2021, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Date: August 28, 2021
Flight Number: 2395
Route (Please bold if failure): BZN-CLT
Aircraft Type: 738
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear: T-45 minutes
Any other miscellaneous notes/observations: no early upgrades for me yet. 5 others on the gate upgrade waitlist (6 total; seems I am the only one who got upgraded)
Old Aug 29, 2021, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Date: August 29, 2021
Flight Number: 1696
Route (Please bold if failure): CLT-LGA
Aircraft Type: 738
Time the upgrade cleared or position on waitlist if didn't clear: T-almost 0 (was called and handed a new BP within 5 minutes of boarding by the GA)
Any other miscellaneous notes/observations: still no early upgrades for me. 1 other pax on the gate upgrade waitlist (2 total; seems I am the only one who got upgraded)
Old Aug 29, 2021, 9:17 am

Programs: AS MVPG | oneworld Sapphire
28 AUG 2021 | AA 3083 (AS Codeshare 4163) | ORD/GRR | CRJ-701ER | Upgraded at ~T-1.5
  • Ticket purchased 20 AUG 2021
  • This was part of an itin purchased via AS so I was surprised to be upgraded on an AA segment. I'd thought AA upgrades could happen only on flights reserved directly with AA.
  • I don't know where I was in an upgrade list; the AS app didn't show it and I didn't check the monitor at the gate.
FlyerDigits likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 7:33 pm

Programs: AS 75K
As Alaska 75K can I book directly into MCE like I can for PC on Alaska?
Old Aug 29, 2021, 7:37 pm

Originally Posted by mtofell
Book first, then call AA reservations to select MCE seats. Just have your AA conf number ready. Did this last week and it took just a few minutes.
mtofell likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 7:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
Book first, then call AA reservations to select MCE seats. Just have your AA conf number ready. Did this last week and it took just a few minutes.
There is no need to call.

MCE seat selection can be done directly on the AA site once the AS has been entered for crediting.
Guate87, FlyerDigits and mtofell like this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 8:19 pm

Yes, I've been able to do this directly as part of the booking process. Enter your Alaska number on the American booking page and you'll pick your MCE seats before you pay.

Also note that I was able to select MCE seats for all 3 of us on our American booking, not just the 2 I'm limited to on an Alaska booking. I'm Alaska Gold, not yet 75K - still working on it
Guate87 and mtofell like this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 9:37 pm

Programs: UA1K, AS Gold 75K, HH Diamond, MR Titanium LT Gold, IHG Platinum, HZ PC, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Repooc17
MCE seat selection can be done directly on the AA site once the AS has been entered for crediting.
This is correct.

I just landed on AA 329 ORD-IAH. After entering my AS Gold 75 info, aa.com allowed me to choose MCE for $0. I was upgraded to F on my app at T-72.
FlyerDigits and mtofell like this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Repooc17

It also works fine online after booking.

I put instructions in my profile at work to use my AS number when booking AA, but they left it off on a trip I just had booked. I added my AS number online and had no problem assigning myself MCE seats immediately.
Guate87 likes this.
Old Aug 29, 2021, 10:55 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
To select Main Cabin Extra seats, I needed to contact AA via chat about an existing reservation. The AA reservation had my AA frequent flyer number and I couldn't change that myself.

Thanks for this thread, I got the MCE seats.

(Now I need to figure out how much luggage is included)
mtofell likes this.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:14 am

I'm glad to be partially incorrect in this case. Selecting them myself sounds easier. My AA segments were part of an AS itinerary, and my AS MP # isn't in my AA profile, so perhaps that accounts for why I couldn't choose my own seats.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, ex-AA EXP, ex-UA 1K
Originally Posted by chrisl137
It also works fine online after booking.

I put instructions in my profile at work to use my AS number when booking AA, but they left it off on a trip I just had booked. I added my AS number online and had no problem assigning myself MCE seats immediately.
Yep, had an effectively identical experience selecting seats as I did when I was still an AA elite. MVP Gold & up can pick any seat in coach for free – including MCE, bulkheads & exit rows – at the time of booking. Whether you'll get upgraded is another story, however.
Old Aug 30, 2021, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TheStrangerIn29K
I'm glad to be partially incorrect in this case. Selecting them myself sounds easier. My AA segments were part of an AS itinerary, and my AS MP # isn't in my AA profile, so perhaps that accounts for why I couldn't choose my own seats.
Did you try pulling up the AA portion of the itinerary online at American? You need to add in the AS # yourself.

For those booking a wholly AA itinerary and know for sure you are crediting to AS, book as a guest and don't log into your AA account.

Even if you already have your AA # attached to the reservation, there is still no need to call. Just pull up the chat via the AA app, and ask them to make the change. Note if you type in your AS 9 digit #, the chat system will mask it (hint: SSN has also 9 digits), so the agent on the other side of the chat can't see it. You'd need to change the format to: xxx/xxx/xxx
Old Aug 30, 2021, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kirker
Yep, had an effectively identical experience selecting seats as I did when I was still an AA elite. MVP Gold & up can pick any seat in coach for free – including MCE, bulkheads & exit rows – at the time of booking. Whether you'll get upgraded is another story, however.
I don't hit 75K for another 6 weeks or so, so I don't think I'm F upgrade eligible yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.