Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any Good Ideas for Mileage Runs?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:33 pm

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott G, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
The SEA-FLL runs are really one of the best mileage runs out there from a cents per mile (cpm) standpoint, but I've been scoping out other options lately since they seem to have gotten so elite-heavy that it can be a challenge even as an MVPG to get a Premium Class seat at T-72.....it's really interesting to see a seat map showing 50% or more of the main cabin empty and First/Premium nearly 100% full. I'm ok with not clearing into F, but I lose interest in any mileage run where I won't at least be able to sit in Premium Class.
I totally forgot Seattle is elite heavy, my past mileage runs are all non-stop trans-con from LAX. If I can't even get into Premium, that's really a bumper. Or at least let me own a row in coach.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by simonsuo
I totally forgot Seattle is elite heavy, my past mileage runs are all non-stop trans-con from LAX. If I can't even get into Premium, that's really a bumper. Or at least let me own a row in coach.
The irony is that even though you get an empty middle in Premium Class, with the majority of passengers crammed into First and Premium, you actually would have more space if you double downgraded to the main cabin. This really is an unusual situation since mostly empty flights generally translate to much easier upgrade chances, but not with the SEA-FLL route. Because the SEA-FLL red-eye mileage runners arrive in FLL too late for the AM return to SEA, they have to take the flight to LAX which is making that flight become WAY harder to clear than in the past....it might as well be going to SEA.....lol.
SEA777GUY and simonsuo like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Because the SEA-FLL red-eye mileage runners arrive in FLL too late for the AM return to SEA, they have to take the flight to LAX which is making that flight become WAY harder to clear than in the past....it might as well be going to SEA.....lol.
You are flying it, I'm not, so I have no data but it's hard to believe there is this huge contingent of FF'ers MR'ing right now... is this data based on multiple trips on different days of the week, or just a one off datapoint from a holiday weekend?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
You are flying it, I'm not, so I have no data but it's hard to believe there is this huge contingent of FF'ers MR'ing right now... is this data based on multiple trips on different days of the week, or just a one off datapoint from a holiday weekend?
Based of multiple reports here on FT (flying to FLL every other weekend, etc.) and getting ready to fly it again soon....back when we had that 30% discount code good for F and any day of the week through summer, I think multiple people used that as an opportunity to qualify for MVPG or 75K. For those doing MRs on AS, the $80 one-way fares to FLL (using discount codes) were just too good to pass up.
SEA777GUY likes this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
2/19/21 SEA-PVR AS 256, Second non-stop of the day. 739, 167 seats, 25 PAX. First was 16/16 leaving 9 behind the curtain. 1 in Premium and the only passenger front of row 18. Pax to Lavatory ratio was 3:1 in Main, 16:1 in First.

Yes, SEA is Elite heavy!

James
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
2/19/21 SEA-PVR AS 256, Second non-stop of the day. 739, 167 seats, 25 PAX. First was 16/16 leaving 9 behind the curtain. 1 in Premium and the only passenger front of row 18. Pax to Lavatory ratio was 3:1 in Main, 16:1 in First.

Yes, SEA is Elite heavy!

James
Wow, more people up front than back, do you know if it's okay to downgrade mid-air. Like after meal service, I assume just a sandwich now, go to the back of the plane and stretch out?
Old Feb 22, 2021, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, more people up front than back, do you know if it's okay to downgrade mid-air. Like after meal service, I assume just a sandwich now, go to the back of the plane and stretch out?
Another poster reported that they self-downgraded from F to Premium Class and received F service...not sure if they would be willing to bring everything to row 30, but it doesn't hurt to ask.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 3:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

Yes, SEA is Elite heavy!

James
I wish domestic flights are like that sometimes. Out of 50 or so domestic flights I have flown the last few months, I may have had one similar occurrence (E75 on DL flying from PHX to LAX); otherwise, almost every single flight, full or relatively full, including many widebodies which can easily accommodate 250+ pax, no middle seat block either.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Based of multiple reports here on FT (flying to FLL every other weekend, etc.) and getting ready to fly it again soon....back when we had that 30% discount code good for F and any day of the week through summer, I think multiple people used that as an opportunity to qualify for MVPG or 75K. For those doing MRs on AS, the $80 one-way fares to FLL (using discount codes) were just too good to pass up.
I see. I have not been in an airport since March 5th, 2020. Even then, flights were already starting to get empty as people were starting to cancel trips. That last flight was only 1/3 full despite being the afternoon commuter hour SAN-SMF departure.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 8:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
These aren’t exactly optimal but every Wednesday until May I’ve booked b2b SAN - SEA runs as I really work well both on the plane and at airport lounges.

I wonder if I can count this as office space and write off runs as expenses (half kidding)
Old Feb 22, 2021, 10:38 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
There are a lot of mileage runners that do the SEA-FLL-LAX-SEA circuit, A few weeks back, on a FLL-LAX leg, someone mentioned that they were on a mileage run, and 5 more of us (all in F) laughed and admit the same. I only run on weekdays, so this was probably a Mon or Tues morning. (I've also spotted multiple flyers in F reading FlyerTalk!)
simonsuo and AndyKehn like this.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by MileageMule
There are a lot of mileage runners that do the SEA-FLL-LAX-SEA circuit, A few weeks back, on a FLL-LAX leg, someone mentioned that they were on a mileage run, and 5 more of us (all in F) laughed and admit the same. I only run on weekdays, so this was probably a Mon or Tues morning. (I've also spotted multiple flyers in F reading FlyerTalk!)
Do you know if there is a place I can check how full these weekends Sea<—>Fll flights are? Or I can only guess or search data points here?
I booked back to back LAX-FLL mileage run with a night back home. But because of the schedule change last week, I need to reroute through Sea and I’ll be in the air for 2 days and nights, don’t think I can make it without an empty coach.
Old Feb 22, 2021, 11:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Do you know if there is a place I can check how full these weekends Sea<—>Fll flights are? Or I can only guess or search data points here?
I booked back to back LAX-FLL mileage run with a night back home. But because of the schedule change last week, I need to reroute through Sea and I’ll be in the air for 2 days and nights, don’t think I can make it without an empty coach.
Take a look at the number of PC seats taken and the number of window/elite seats taken respectively
simonsuo likes this.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MileageMule
That really is the best run from a cpm standpoint....it just takes forever and upgrades have been a lot more difficult even on mostly empty flights. I'm wondering if mileage runners are going to jump on the AM FLL-SEA return (or continue going through LAX) since I assume it will be the same plane coming in on the red-eye from SEA when the departure time moves up to 9pm. I personally don't like red-eyes that leave that early because I'm not quite ready to sleep at that time.....the 11:15pm departure was perfect.
Old Feb 25, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K
That really is the best run from a cpm standpoint....it just takes forever and upgrades have been a lot more difficult even on mostly empty flights. I'm wondering if mileage runners are going to jump on the AM FLL-SEA return (or continue going through LAX) since I assume it will be the same plane coming in on the red-eye from SEA when the departure time moves up to 9pm. I personally don't like red-eyes that leave that early because I'm not quite ready to sleep at that time.....the 11:15pm departure was perfect.
I've thought about trying to sneak back onto the FLL-SEA flight, but as it currently stands, SEA-FLL arrives at 6:50a and FLL-SEA departs at 7a. 10 minutes is really cutting it close, and any delay can jinx the whole deal. I've tried a couple of different variations over the past few months, i.e. SEA-FLL-PDX-LAX-PDX-SEA, but I do like the SEA-FLL-LAX-SEA route because you have an hour and a half to clean up/grab something to eat at the LAX Alaska Lounge before continuing on.

As far as aircraft, the aircraft the does the SEA-FLL route is the same aircraft that does the FLL-LAX route, so it's a safe bet that you'll always make it on time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.