Travel credit deadline extended

Search this Thread

Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:06 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Travel credit deadline extended

From Alaska's latest email:

• If you have a valid credit in your eWallet that was deposited before March 1, 2020, your booking expiration date will be extended by 6 months. You do not need to travel before that 6-month extension date – you just need to book your ticket by then.

• For those who canceled or will cancel their flights due to COVID-19 impacts in March, April or May, the credits in your eWallet will be extended through July 5, 2021 for travel through May 31, 2022.

We’re working as quickly as possible to reflect these updates in your account.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:16 am

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Only thru the end of May will not be sufficient. I have two trips in June that I gravely doubt will be viable. Hawaii may still have a 14 day quarantine in place in June. The lifting of restrictions may still advise seniors to avoid travel.
Good start AS but you need to step it up a notch. I think the end of September would be a smarter move.
Boraxo likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:32 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by JPat
Only thru the end of May will not be sufficient. I have two trips in June that I gravely doubt will be viable. Hawaii may still have a 14 day quarantine in place in June. The lifting of restrictions may still advise seniors to avoid travel.
Good start AS but you need to step it up a notch. I think the end of September would be a smarter move.
It's only April. While I agree that June is unlikely to see a "return to normal" here, I have no doubt AS will continue to extend waivers / offer flexibility for passengers should the need arise. Just sit tight, let things play out, and see what happens. A lot easier for airlines to walk dates forward with regard to COVID-related flexibilities than to walk them back and rescind them should we miraculously see a major recovery in our response to the virus/the economy.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: AS
Yes, we are still hoping for waiver to be extended to July1. We have international award trips in June which we need to cancel. We plan on just waiting this out.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:58 am
Original Poster
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
This isn't about travel waivers, it's about extension of travel credit expiry dates.
JPat likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:52 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
I don't understand the issue. You're an MVP Gold according to your profile, so you don't pay change fees even when there isn't a waiver. If you cancel your June trip you have a year to use that ticket. How does "the end of September" help you?
be_rettSEA and tusphotog like this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by missamo80
This isn't about travel waivers, it's about extension of travel credit expiry dates.
Right - I understand that (sorry to misspeak) and I anticipate they will continue to offer flexibilities/waivers/extensions for credits, travel, cancellations, etc regardless beyond May if it is necessary.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 11:22 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
Anyone know how to get a credit certificate into an "e-Wallet"?
Old Apr 16, 2020, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by DavidO
Anyone know how to get a credit certificate into an "e-Wallet"?
use it to book a ticket, then cancel it.

If you're trying to do this because you're concerned about the extension - it will also apply to credit certificates.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 4:23 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Anybody have a flight cancelled or needed to cancel a flight in which funds from an Alaska Credit was used. Last Christmas Alaska gave me a $250 travel credit to give up my seat for overbooked flight. I used this to purchase part of a family trip in May. The rules state that the $250 is non refundable. I am 75K.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Xrayman
Anybody have a flight cancelled or needed to cancel a flight in which funds from an Alaska Credit was used. Last Christmas Alaska gave me a $250 travel credit to give up my seat for overbooked flight. I used this to purchase part of a family trip in May. The rules state that the $250 is non refundable. I am 75K.
Have a look at this recent thread:

Losing Discount Code When Canceling Ticket for Travel in March

I lost 2x$25 in “good will” vouchers given to me some time last year when they swapped in a plane without PC. I will say that this wasn’t much of a concern in my case considering what else is going on. $250 would sting a bit more, especially if I did AS a favor for that.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 5:02 pm

The waiver was just extended for those who have travel through the end of the year.
Brendan, pcoll, be_rettSEA and 4 others like this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 8:44 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by Xrayman
I had to cancel two flights on which I had used $50 Customer Service vouchers. The agent was able to redeposit them into my account.
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2020, 9:10 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by twitch76
I had to cancel two flights on which I had used $50 Customer Service vouchers. The agent was able to redeposit them into my account.
Similarly, I used a $25 voucher from my partner's account to book two tickets. The $25 voucher more than covered the base fare for both tickets. lol When I cancelled the reservation, AS reissued a new $25 voucher into my account good for 1 year from the reissue date. Technically, the unused portion of the original voucher should have been forfeited.

James
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 24, 2020, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by missamo80
From Alaska's latest email:

Quote:
• If you have a valid credit in your eWallet that was deposited before March 1, 2020, your booking expiration date will be extended by 6 months. You do not need to travel before that 6-month extension date – you just need to book your ticket by then.

• For those who canceled or will cancel their flights due to COVID-19 impacts in March, April or May, the credits in your eWallet will be extended through July 5, 2021 for travel through May 31, 2022.

We’re working as quickly as possible to reflect these updates in your account.
Has anyone seen their wallet fund expiry dates extended yet?

I had several cancellations that were issued as Certificates and then deposited into eWallet but expiry date hasn't changed yet.

This was for flights scheduled for travel in April and cancelled Mar 31.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.