Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Travel credit deadline extended

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2020, 11:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by robsaw
Has anyone seen their wallet fund expiry dates extended yet?

I had several cancellations that were issued as Certificates and then deposited into eWallet but expiry date hasn't changed yet.

This was for flights scheduled for travel in April and cancelled Mar 31.
Not exactly your scenario, but I just now cancelled a flight booked in April for April, and the wallet credit has an expiration date of 07/05/2021 (as promised). I assume yours requires a retroactive update that just hasn't happened yet. If I were you, I would put a reminder in my calendar/to-do list for 2 months prior to the current expiration date and re-check at that time (and follow up with customer service then if it's not extended).
Brendan likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2020, 7:44 am

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Not exactly your scenario, but I just now cancelled a flight booked in April for April, and the wallet credit has an expiration date of 07/05/2021 (as promised). I assume yours requires a retroactive update that just hasn't happened yet. If I were you, I would put a reminder in my calendar/to-do list for 2 months prior to the current expiration date and re-check at that time (and follow up with customer service then if it's not extended).
Well, the current expiration date was almost within 2 months when the credits were issued (expire June 6 this year). I give them a call in another week if nothing changes auto-magically.

Edit: Wallet expiration date extended to July 5, 2021 as of Apr 27, 2020.
Brendan likes this.

Last edited by robsaw; Apr 28, 2020 at 12:09 am Reason: typo
Old Apr 28, 2020, 7:45 pm
In memoriam

That's great! I was cautiously optimistic that AS would come through.
Old Apr 29, 2020, 9:49 am

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Also happened here, for one more confirmation: a variety of My Wallet credits due to expire in January 2021 (or a bit later, as I recall) all now show an expiration of 07/05/2021. Much appreciated.
Brendan likes this.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:02 pm

Programs: AA MM PP, MR LT Plat, Globalist
I have a bonus travel certificate (from VDB) that's set to expire in 3 months. It's partially used although I haven't deposited in My Wallet. (the website gives me the option to do so.) Does this qualify for a 6-month extension?
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by normcpa
I cancelled some flights for early June after the schedule changed dramatically. I had bought them apparently in late April or May and when cancelled it gave me a wallet expiration date in April and May. Not July.

probably will not make a difference but not going on 2K in the wallet and still no ability to really go anywhere with family in the near future. In addition just used reward miles to purchase 10 flights instead of paying from wallet as the flights were only 10K points and the price was $165 each.
Old Jun 14, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by normcpa
I cancelled some flights for early June after the schedule changed dramatically. I had bought them apparently in late April or May and when cancelled it gave me a wallet expiration date in April and May. Not July.

probably will not make a difference but now going on 2K in the wallet and still no ability to really go anywhere with family in the near future. In addition just used reward miles to purchase 10 flights instead of paying from wallet as the flights were only 10K points and the price was $165 each.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 4:35 pm

The MVP phone agent told me that bonus travel certificates are not being extended right now. I was about to break into a sweat at the thought of flying next week, and then heard the good news. We can call in after the certs expire and get another certificate reissued for a comparable $ amount, valid for another year. Note that this applies only to bonus travel certificates (e.g. from VDB) since these have not been extended so far.
Old Jun 19, 2020, 5:00 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by Xrayman

probably will not make a difference but now going on 2K in the wallet and still no ability to really go anywhere with family in the near future. In addition just used reward miles to purchase 10 flights instead of paying from wallet as the flights were only 10K points and the price was $165 each.
give your wallet credits a few days. When I first got mine, did reflect booking date for expiration. When I checked a few days later all had reset to July 5 2021.
Xrayman likes this.
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by eethan
The MVP phone agent told me that bonus travel certificates are not being extended right now. I was about to break into a sweat at the thought of flying next week, and then heard the good news. We can call in after the certs expire and get another certificate reissued for a comparable $ amount, valid for another year. Note that this applies only to bonus travel certificates (e.g. from VDB) since these have not been extended so far.
Anyone had recent experiences where their VDB/bump travel certificates/credit was extended?
Old Jul 31, 2020, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I called in last week about a service recovery voucher that I received last Oct (SEA-PHL diverted to BOI, replacement jet continued the flight ~5 hrs late); phone agent said to wait until it actually expires and then call in to have it reissued (apparently they can't actually do anything while it's still open)
Old Aug 5, 2020, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Well, I should have just come to FT first and read this post before I actually tried to get someone from Alaska Airlines to assist, god forbid.

We're a number of months into the pandemic at this juncture, and it's unfathomable to me that reservation agents at Alaska are still so grossly unaware of the current reissue policies. I spoke to a rep in the Boise, ID contact centre who flatly told me that any tickets purchased in 2019 are not covered by any COVID policy, and that I as purchased my ticket for US-Canada travel for April of this year, my e-ticket/credit is only valid 12 months from original date of purchase, no exceptions. She advised I thus have "already forfeited" my three tickets that I booked for travel in April, even though the US/Canada border is still closed to non-essential travel at this point. I responded that there is no possible scenario where AS cancels my flights, and that I only get 3 months to reuse the value (impossible due to border closure) otherwise no refund, no credit, just lose everything. Her response: "I'm just a human being working from home, and I'm telling you the rules, and I can't help you any further" <click>.

I finally after speaking to four different AS reps was able to reach an agent whom correctly set up the unused e-tickets to go into my AS wallet, and they'll be extended (as this thread outlines) through July 5th 2021.

How does one work for an airline, in reservations team, and make absolutely zero effort to learn or understand even the most fundamental basics of the company policies. The Boise, ID contact centre needs a lot of work.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 5, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Well, I should have just come to FT first and read this post before I actually tried to get someone from Alaska Airlines to assist, god forbid.

We're a number of months into the pandemic at this juncture, and it's unfathomable to me that reservation agents at Alaska are still so grossly unaware of the current reissue policies. I spoke to a rep in the Boise, ID contact centre who flatly told me that any tickets purchased in 2019 are not covered by any COVID policy, and that I as purchased my ticket for US-Canada travel for April of this year, my e-ticket/credit is only valid 12 months from original date of purchase, no exceptions. She advised I thus have "already forfeited" my three tickets that I booked for travel in April, even though the US/Canada border is still closed to non-essential travel at this point. I responded that there is no possible scenario where AS cancels my flights, and that I only get 3 months to reuse the value (impossible due to border closure) otherwise no refund, no credit, just lose everything. Her response: "I'm just a human being working from home, and I'm telling you the rules, and I can't help you any further" <click>.

I finally after speaking to four different AS reps was able to reach an agent whom correctly set up the unused e-tickets to go into my AS wallet, and they'll be extended (as this thread outlines) through July 5th 2021.

How does one work for an airline, in reservations team, and make absolutely zero effort to learn or understand even the most fundamental basics of the company policies. The Boise, ID contact centre needs a lot of work.
At least you got taken care of although it definitely sounds like It was a pain for you. Myself, i have Always Been taken care of by the Boise team.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 10:45 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Sorry for the trouble getting the right information and it is not germane to the issue, but just one correction. The US/Canada border is not closed. It never has been. The LAND border is closed to all but essential travel in both directions. Canadians can, and always have been, able to enter the US by air. Americans cannot enter Canada by air (again, other than for essential travel). But Canadians can most definitely fly to the US. Whether you want to is another matter but (assuming you are a Canadian citizen or PR by your location in your profile) you can fly to the US if you choose to.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Aug 6, 2020, 12:49 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Finkface
Sorry for the trouble getting the right information and it is not germane to the issue, but just one correction. The US/Canada border is not closed. It never has been. The LAND border is closed to all but essential travel in both directions. Canadians can, and always have been, able to enter the US by air. Americans cannot enter Canada by air (again, other than for essential travel). But Canadians can most definitely fly to the US. Whether you want to is another matter but (assuming you are a Canadian citizen or PR by your location in your profile) you can fly to the US if you choose to.
Thanks for this distinction. I was aware of this loophole for flying to the US, though the reality is that Canadian's would be travelling in contravention of an avoid all non-essential travel warning, travel insurance would typically not cover you including for medical, and you'd have a 14-day mandatory quarantine on your return home. To all intents and purposes, travel is not logistically feasible between the two countries for the vast majority of us (and comes with significant financial risk given the insurance issues), except for very specific situations such as families split between the two countries.

That all said, the State Dept just lifted their avoid all travel warning this morning, and we'll see where Canada goes in the coming weeks here.

Back on topic, glad that AS is at least extending credits through July. I'm spending today cancelling my US travel plans for January. It's too risky to have a 50% non-refundable deposit for a private vacation rental at this point which insurance won't cover. Time to rebook for April and we can only hope that we have some return to at least some sense of normality by then!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.