Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Partner Award Fee Waiver?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2020, 12:12 pm

Programs: Alaska 75k
Originally Posted by anothertraveller12
I just called in and specifically asked about the partner award fee, and was told they could not be refunded.
It's definitely refundable if you push. But only for the timeline the waiver is covering (up to May 31st for now).
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Called and cancelled my Australia flights for May on Qantas which are no longer operating from/to SFO. Although Qantas made the announcement two weeks ago, the Alaska website just updated in the last day or two. Did ask about the $12.50 partner fee being that I'm not the one cancelling and the agent said they'd refund without any issue. Received this e-mail for the SFO departure right after I hung up:
Fee refund request confirmation
March 31, 2020

A request to refund the following fees for confirmation code,
XXXXXX has been received.

Travelers & Ticket information:
[Passenger Name] - [ticket number]- Booking Fee

While not every fee or ticket is refundable, we are committed to refunding
all eligible fees within 20 business days for cash purchases and 7 business days
for credit card purchases. Non-refundable fees may be eligible to receive
a credit certificate.

You will receive a confirmation email once your fees have been refunded.

This is an auto-generated email. If you have questions, please call Alaska Airlines at
1-800-ALASKAAIR (1-800-252-7522).
Old Apr 1, 2020, 8:31 am
wkc

I got refunded the partner award fee as well, but the CS initially refused to budge until I mentioned the data points I saw here and had to be very forceful with her.

This is the email I got afterwards:

https://imgur.com/zdZdibj
Old Apr 3, 2020, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Colour me impressed - a short hold time (couple of minutes), a polite employee who must be under a lot of stress, and a quick resolution to my award ticket refund. Well done Alaska, I will definitely recommend and use again!
Old Apr 18, 2020, 2:35 pm

Not sure if I should start a new thread for this question? Or, I can ask it in this thread?
About 2 months ago my AS miles were about to expire. Therefore I made a booking (using about half of my AS miles) for an award redemption for niece in Australia to visit her father in the US in July during the school holidays in Australia - flying QF. The redemption extended my remaining AS miles for 2 years.
This is my current dilemma. The Australian government has said that the lock down may last until the end of this year, and people are not likely to be allowed to travel overseas. Should I cancel niece's trip now? Or, wait until closer to dates to see if QF would cancel the flights in July?
If I cancel now, will AS refund (automatically) my miles and taxes paid? Or, do I have to ask / pay a fee for the cancellation (like I had to do with AA some years ago)? I had to pay a booking fee of $15 for partner booking via telephone. I suspect I will have to phone AS to cancel the booking and pay another fee of $15?
If AS miles are returned to my account, will they have the extended expiry date? Or ?
Thank you for any comment / suggestion / help - which will be much appreciated.
Old Apr 18, 2020, 3:57 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by A1pax
If I cancel now, will AS refund (automatically) my miles and taxes paid? Or, do I have to ask / pay a fee for the cancellation (like I had to do with AA some years ago)? I had to pay a booking fee of $15 for partner booking via telephone. I suspect I will have to phone AS to cancel the booking and pay another fee of $15?
If AS miles are returned to my account, will they have the extended expiry date? Or ?
Thank you for any comment / suggestion / help - which will be much appreciated.
A cancellation fee should be covered under the current COVID-19 fee waiver. AS will redeposit your miles (you will see the redposit right away) and refund your taxes & fees. However, the phone booking fee of $15 and the partner booking fee of $12.50 ($25 return) are non-refundable. You could ask AS for those to be waived but I wouldn't expect them to be.

I think I would wait until closer to the travel travel date to see if travel is still possible. Even if it isn't or you do want to cancel, a redeposit in July should be activity in your account to extend your MP miles expiry date to July 2022.

James
A1pax likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2020, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
A cancellation fee should be covered under the current COVID-19 fee waiver. AS will redeposit your miles (you will see the redposit right away) and refund your taxes & fees. However, the phone booking fee of $15 and the partner booking fee of $12.50 ($25 return) are non-refundable. You could ask AS for those to be waived but I wouldn't expect them to be.

I think I would wait until closer to the travel travel date to see if travel is still possible. Even if it isn't or you do want to cancel, a redeposit in July should be activity in your account to extend your MP miles expiry date to July 2022.

James
Many thanks, James, for your quick reply. Your explanation on cancellation fee and redeposit of miles and suggestion to wait until closer to travel date to decide, make perfect sense. I will wait and see how this pandemic and lock down situation will develop. I really want niece to make the trip to visit her father in the US. Fingers crossed that life and travel will somehow resume some normality.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2020, 4:37 pm

Alaska are offering free cancellation for tickets they issue (starting in 027). Tickets issued by other airlines with a different carrier code (ticket numbers that don’t begin with “027”) are subject to the waiver policy of the other airline.

I just want to make sure Alaska give free cancellation for partner flight awards
for travel through December 31, 2020. Does anybody know for sure?

Thanks!
Old Apr 30, 2020, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by ecgz88
Alaska are offering free cancellation for tickets they issue (starting in 027). Tickets issued by other airlines with a different carrier code (ticket numbers that don’t begin with “027”) are subject to the waiver policy of the other airline.

I just want to make sure Alaska give free cancellation for partner flight awards

Thanks!
Does the partner flight award ticket number start with "027"? Then there is your answer.

Spoiler: any Alaska award ticket starts with "027".
ecgz88 and pcoll like this.
Old May 1, 2020, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by ecgz88

Thanks!
Not sure the time frame for free cancellation for partner flight awards, but I got this for flights in early July. Instead of waiting closer to travel dates (early July) i have decided to cancel AS award booking for niece from Australia to US flying with QF. I could not cancel the booking online so I phoned AS and the call centre staff in Phoenix answered the call within 5 mins, processed the cancellation to put my AS points back into my account immediately. She said the refunds of the taxes and partners fee would take 2 weeks. A few days later I got confirmation emails saying these would be refunded to my credit card (the one I used for paying the fees initially) within the same time frame.
Old May 2, 2020, 1:30 am

Programs: AS MVP
I called to cancel and FJ and QF award for Nov without any cancel fees.
eponymous_coward likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.