Wiki Posts
Search

Partner Award Fee Waiver?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP
Partner Award Fee Waiver?

Given the madness, anyone happen to know whether AS is willing to waive the cancellation fee ($125/pax) for award bookings? Still showing as a fee online, but are there magic words to be spoken if I call in?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 10:50 am
Original Member

I'm wondering the same thing....regarding several bookings.....

I'm still waiting for Qantas to confirm the cancelation of flights I'm booked on, which they have announced will be suspended. I hope Alaska will easily refund and redeposit in this case.

Marvella
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by beckalodeon
Given the madness, anyone happen to know whether AS is willing to waive the cancellation fee ($125/pax) for award bookings? Still showing as a fee online, but are there magic words to be spoken if I call in?
What are the dates? For travel in March, fees are waived. I just cancelled an Alaska metal award ticket ticketed in January with the miles redeposited fee-free. Nothing in the policy that says the flights have to be AS metal; just that it has to be an 027 ticket.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 2:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Marvella
I'm wondering the same thing....regarding several bookings.....
I'm still waiting for Qantas to confirm the cancellation of flights I'm booked on, which they have announced will be suspended. I hope Alaska will easily refund and redeposit in this case.
QF & AS have been moving people with cash & award reservations to other flights. Have a look at QF web site "manage booking"
Consolidated Qantas (QF) Awards Availability/Booking/Routing Thread
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ashill
What are the dates? For travel in March, fees are waived. I just cancelled an Alaska metal award ticket ticketed in January with the miles redeposited fee-free. Nothing in the policy that says the flights have to be AS metal; just that it has to be an 027 ticket.
Ah, riiiiight. I missed that 027 bit (we're cancelling/postponing 9 accommodations and a dozen flights, so it's hard to keep it all straight). Anyway, the flight is in late April and it would appear the policy doesn't cover that period - yet.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:51 pm

Programs: UA1K, VXgold
Originally Posted by ashill
For travel in March, fees are waived.
I know the policy for pre 2/27 purchases only applies for travel thru March, but does anyone have any data points on getting waivers anyway for travel in early April? I've got 6 separate reservations between April 1 to April 12. Also any hunches out there if the waiver dates will be extended? I see the other major carries are waiving change fees for tickets booked before March for travel thru April.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Just wait for it to change or you get a flight change notice
Old Mar 15, 2020, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by artieb78
I know the policy for pre 2/27 purchases only applies for travel thru March, but does anyone have any data points on getting waivers anyway for travel in early April? I've got 6 separate reservations between April 1 to April 12. Also any hunches out there if the waiver dates will be extended? I see the other major carries are waiving change fees for tickets booked before March for travel thru April.
Linked off the front page of alaskaair.com... waivers are now through April.

https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ad...odID:Awareness
pcoll likes this.
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:23 pm

i've been able to cancel alaska emirates flights for no $125 change/cancel fees, and got all miles/taxes refunded.

But the $12.50 partner award booking fee didn't get refunded. I didn't ask about it, i'm guessing if pushed on it i would've gotten it refunded also
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:27 pm

Programs: AS
Originally Posted by nomiiiii
i've been able to cancel alaska emirates flights for no $125 change/cancel fees, and got all miles/taxes refunded.

But the $12.50 partner award booking fee didn't get refunded. I didn't ask about it, i'm guessing if pushed on it i would've gotten it refunded also
Flight date? When did you book it?
Old Mar 15, 2020, 5:32 pm

Originally Posted by pcoll
Flight date? When did you book it?
This included bookings made in March for March/April (since countries kept changing their restrictions I had to keep changing/cancelling).
This also included booking made 6 months ago, for flights in March/April.

In both cases the cancellations by alaska were done fee-free very easily by phone or by text, depending on wait times.

Emirates award availability is wide open, and this alaska waiver rule has really helped me in changing my bookings as the countries keep changing their rules. I have only mvp status (not gold)

Note - all cancellations need to be done by phne/text - online it reflected the $125 fee
Old Mar 16, 2020, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
Note - all cancellations need to be done by phne/text - online it reflected the $125 fee
Guess I should avoid phone given the AS request to stand down if not travelling soon. @nomiiiii How do you mean you were able to cancel by "text"? And was that with a live person or a chatbot or?
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:39 am

Originally Posted by beckalodeon
Guess I should avoid phone given the AS request to stand down if not travelling soon. @nomiiiii How do you mean you were able to cancel by "text"? And was that with a live person or a chatbot or?
It was a live person. 82008 is their text messaging service. You send your text, wait some minutes/hours, and are connected to a live agent via text. Give your details and ask to cancel under the waiver etc.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 10:48 am
Moderator Communications Coordinator, Signatures

Programs: TubWorld, Bar Alliance, Borratxo Legendarium
Text messaging is still handled by reservations and they are completely overwhelmed - so unless that travel is in the next 3 days, please hold off. If you can't cancel it yourself online, then set yourself a calendar reminder to call/text/chat at a later date.
ashill, socalgecko and pcoll like this.
Old Mar 16, 2020, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by missydarlin
Text messaging is still handled by reservations and they are completely overwhelmed - so unless that travel is in the next 3 days, please hold off. If you can't cancel it yourself online, then set yourself a calendar reminder to call/text/chat at a later date.
Yeah, this is an award booking and it still shows $125/person cancellation fee in the online cancellation workflow. However, the travel is in April so I'll hold off contacting AS. Thanks everyone for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.