Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Well this will put an end to the endless lieflat discussions. When this goes into effect very little likelihood AS continues SFO/LAX-NYC.

I wonder if AA is still going to move from SFO T2 to T1. Makes more sense to stay put in T2 with AS.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:51 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond
I have dreamed of this glorious day for years.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:52 am

Programs: Ikon Pass Full + AS Gold + Marriott Titanium + Hilton Gold. Recovering UA Plat. LT lounge AA+DL+UA
While this might seem glorious today, I hope that it does not presage a merger between the two airlines. I think that Alaska management is more positive, treats employees better and offers an overall better product than AA.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I was able to get into the AC at EWR last month and at LAX a couple weeks ago; just had to show my BP to the agent at the desk so she could "register" it
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
After the initial shock-ish of reading the morning news, I have decided to do what I do in most circumstances where most everything is a vast unknown - take a chill pill. We can do spekyulashens until the end of days, and other than making us feel better or worse, I'd prefer not to waste the effort. That said ...

1) I will continue to not save AS miles for a "better day" if I want to use them now, as, no matter what, mileage sitting in banks collect less interest than the near 0 percent you get at the bank.
2) I will gladly enjoy my new lounge access @ SFO in a few weeks, where I will be able to enjoy putrid lounge coffee without a wait instead of waiting a few minutes for Mr. Peet to brew me a fresh cup.
3) I will not rely for planning purposes on suggested AS dates for anything. After all, Spring 2020 starts in late September in half the world, and Summer 2021 starts just before Christmas in half the world.
4) I have no idea if this will be a net + or - for me today. And that's really all I care about ... how it will affect ME
5) I can only imagine the day when I have a choice of eating clementine chicken sitting up for $499, or lying down flat while trying to eat some crappy meatloaf for $1299+.

Meanwhile, I'll just continue to play this in my head while I read everyone's rants and raves.

Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:55 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by worldwidedreamer
While this might seem glorious today, I hope that it does not presage a merger between the two airlines. I think that Alaska management is more positive, treats employees better and offers an overall better product than AA.
Short of a hostile takeover, I cannot imagine any scenario where AA merges with AS, especially with the village idiot Parker at the helm. Unlike AA, AS actually knows how to make money and grow shareholder value.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:55 am
Suspended

Programs: vx diamond
AA is a cluster bleep but they offer generous compensation for onboard mishaps and they offer pdbs in f.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SFOPeter
Well this will put an end to the endless lieflat discussions. When this goes into effect very little likelihood AS continues SFO/LAX-NYC.

I wonder if AA is still going to move from SFO T2 to T1. Makes more sense to stay put in T2 with AS.
Ugh hadn't thought of this. A lot of my flying is LAX-NYC and I often need to use Newark. I'm going to be sad if I wind up back on United.
​​​​​​
Plus without the LAX-NYC flying no way I even make MVP. At that point it'd make the most sense to just move whole hog over to United, which would suck.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:59 am

Programs: AA, AS, TZ, UA, Clipper, EZ-Link, Hop, Navigo, Octopus, Oyster
Originally Posted by Orwaid
One small benefit (if I read it right) is that AS Lounge members now get access to the AA SFO Admirals Club. Do you think that extends to paid AS F?
No, per Chris McGuiness on SFGate:
Alaska Airlines Lounge members will still be barred from using the Admiral's Club lounge at SFO for the time being. But eventually, after American moves to Terminal 1 in March and opens a new Admirals Club there, reciprocal benefits will kick in. The same goes for when Alaska Air opens its lounge in SFO's Terminal 2 in late 2020.

SFGate AA AS Oneworld Alliance
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:59 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by rune87
Ditto. This is the one amazing thing that I'll take. I'll test out LAX and EWR at the end of the month.
You can already access ACs with an AS lounge membership. The only exception is SFO.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:00 am

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by rune87
Ditto. This is the one amazing thing that I'll take. I'll test out LAX and EWR at the end of the month.
LAX and EWR have always been available to AS Lounge members. I use them regularly.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by Conflipper
From article on PointsGuy

“Alaska, at least for the time being, plans to maintain its relationships with unaligned partners, like Emirates and Icelandair.”
Airline relationships are fickle things. To me that statement is practically meaningless.

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by Jma12
AS will likely become revenue base for FFP!! Very unhappy with this bad news!!!
I'd guess that Mileage Plan going revenue based would have to be a requirement of OW entry. Otherwise, as an EP, I'm switching over to the AS FFP on day 1! I'd also guess that they would have to add an additional elite level to access Emerald? However things play out it will be interesting to watch. This tie-up, for me, is really welcomed. I love flying AS, but being a slave to FFP earning to maintaining EP, I had to basically abandon AS as the code share wound down. For the loyal AS flyers that got the most out of Mileage Plan, I will be sorry for your loss, but personally, this is great news. Cheers!

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Waitlisted
The announcement states “
  • Access 650 lounges within the oneworld network as an MVP Gold or Gold 75K member.”
    So does this mean as a Gold or 75 we no longer need to join the Alaska lounge, and more importantly will small lounges like PDX be overrun with AA elites?
I asked that on twitter, and the response I got was "that's the goal!"
Old Feb 13, 2020, 10:15 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by dieselbear
No, per Chris McGuiness on SFGate:
Alaska Airlines Lounge members will still be barred from using the Admiral's Club lounge at SFO for the time being. But eventually, after American moves to Terminal 1 in March and opens a new Admirals Club there, reciprocal benefits will kick in. The same goes for when Alaska Air opens its lounge in SFO's Terminal 2 in late 2020.

SFGate AA AS Oneworld Alliance
So, the not so long term is to still separate terminals at SFO?
Interesting idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.