Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jma12
AS will likely become revenue base for FFP!! Very unhappy with this bad news!!!
Most OW airlines do not have a revenue based ffp
Originally Posted by safari ari
Which we assume would be a loss of EK flights then.
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Gotta mean the end of Korean, KLM, Emirates, Icelandair and condor right??
Some OW airlines have ff partners outside of the alliance. AA--> EY, QF---> EK. Been reports that when LATAM leave OW they will continue to have ff partnerships with some, but not all, OW airlines. And there are other non OW ff partners.
QF codeshare with AF/KLM on some routes, CX codeshare with NZ on one route,

OW airlines can/do compete head to head on some routes. Its not about being "friendly" or not competing

Edit:
OW news release---> https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 13, 2020 at 11:51 am
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:21 am

Programs: Mileage Plus 2P, Marriott Silver, many others
Not really affected by this for multiple reasons, but still sad to see. AA is the worst of the big 3 in the US, and I've always considered OneWorld the least of the three global alliances.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:23 am

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by ashill
If that presages an AA long haul hub in SEA fed by AS, that would be huge for AS customers (assuming it isn’t so successful that AA decides to pull a DL and start its own domestic hub, but I find that unlikely).
Especially given the footprint of that airport. It's arguably not large enough to be a hub for two airlines. It certainly isn't large enough for three.

Originally Posted by dliesse
Not really affected by this for multiple reasons, but still sad to see. AA is the worst of the big 3 in the US
You think so? UA: "Hold my beer..."

Originally Posted by dliesse
and I've always considered OneWorld the least of the three global alliances.
​​​​​​
That is unambiguously true.​
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
for what routes? LAX<-->SAN? SEA<-->PDX? I've snagged WAS<-->NYC for 5500 a few times, SEA<-->LAX/SNA for 5000 (which occasionally pops up on AS for similar)
I see it on SEA-LAS. It's for basic economy. The cash price is $58.40, and the miles price is 2500 + $5.60. That's over 2c valuation. It was not hard to find; this was the 2nd date I checked.

My point here is not that I want to fly basic economy to Vegas, but that while dynamic pricing is generally bad, it does create some good deals, and you can't value a program only by it's worst redemption. Rather, you have to value a program by it's best deals that you will actually use. For someone who has no desire to fly internationally and is fine with basic economy, this is a fantastic deal.

milypan and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:30 am

Programs: Gold 75K
I just sent a message to Alaska on Twitter and was told that SFO is still not eligible. I replied back that the announcement email which says that effective immediately lounge members have access to all 50 Admiral's club is incorrect and disappointing.
wrp96 and be_rettSEA like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:31 am

Programs: Continental
De

Deja vu all over again.
When CO joined star alliance, suddenly all seats filled, upgrade list doubled... The rest is history.
This truly sucks.
milypan likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro
Originally Posted by 1353513636
Would OW do that though? Many other airlines in OW aren't revenue based...obviously AA would prefer that AS go revenue based but I can't imagine they would write something like that in the contract.
That's a good point. Mileage Plan's value is its ability to achieve status on miles, and if it stays intact then is extremely valuable to me going forward. I continue to reach EP each year, but I'm a low spend EP. My upgrade rate is in the low 20% range. The true value to me in AAdvantage is free YC premium seats, free J seats on BA and the OW lounges. If I can achieve Emerald in the AS program on miles alone? I'll switch in a second. On a side note, I believe that OW is the most valuable alliance to FF'ers and for all the MP members out there, who haven't been able to enjoy any OW benefits, I think you'll love the OW lounge access. Cheers!
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sjbsf
I just sent a message to Alaska on Twitter and was told that SFO is still not eligible. I replied back that the announcement email which says that effective immediately lounge members have access to all 50 Admiral's club is incorrect and disappointing.
If SFO is is not eligible then how is this "effective immediately"? Isn't it "effective several years ago"? Is there a change that I'm missing?
wrp96 and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
My point here is not that I want to fly basic economy to Vegas, but that while dynamic pricing is generally bad, it does create some good deals, and you can't value a program only by it's worst redemption.
I'd go further and say that for those who don't want to spend hours and hours looking at award charts and doing availability searches — which is 1% of the FT population and 99% of the general population — dynamic pricing is in fact a good thing.

Originally Posted by Tack
That's a good point. Mileage Plan's value is its ability to achieve status on miles, and if it stays intact then is extremely valuable to me going forward. I continue to reach EP each year, but I'm a low spend EP...If I can achieve Emerald in the AS program on miles alone? I'll switch in a second.
If you're a low-spend EP, how are you going to achieve MVPG 75K on AS? Unless you plan to shift all of your flying to AS metal as well?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:39 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
If SFO is is not eligible then how is this "effective immediately"? Isn't it "effective several years ago"? Is there a change that I'm missing?
Yes it's effective several years ago. There are 50+ AC lounge here already https://www.alaskaair.com/content/ai...ations-heading

Last edited by eddiehuang97; Feb 13, 2020 at 11:50 am
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:41 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by WestCoastPDX
Gotta mean the end of Korean, KLM, Emirates, Icelandair and condor right??

what about Singapore?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:43 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Deja vu all over again.
When CO joined star alliance, suddenly all seats filled, upgrade list doubled... The rest is history.
This truly sucks.
AA doesn't give OWE comp upgrade so I would doubt AS will do so. The situation with Premium Seats would just go back to pre-2018.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
AA doesn't give OWE comp upgrade so I would doubt AS will do so. The situation with Premium Seats would just go back to pre-2018.
I think the bigger "issue" is that AS upgrade lists are currently short ex-SFO/LAX because their network is totally uncompetitive for most frequent flyers. That may no longer be true.

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
How available was premium when DL/AA elites were eligible?

It’s striking to me how similar (based on reporting; I have no inside knowledge) this arrangement is to the one that Alaska reputedly turned down with Delta several years back. Seems like Alaska management didn’t want to repeat the outcome of that decision.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.