Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by Jma12
AS will likely become revenue base for FFP!! Very unhappy with this bad news!!!
Only a wearer of the rosiest of rose-tinted glasses would believe AS wasn't already considering going revenue-based. This is just one path to get there.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:00 am

Programs: AS 1MM/MVPG, AS Lounge, DL SkyClub (Life), Hertz 5* -- AA, DL, UA
"Effective Immediately: Access any of American’s 50 Admirals Club locations worldwide with an Alaska Lounge membership. "

I'll test this on Sat. at SFO. Hope to report good news.

Overall, an interesting development - something needed to be done.
Eastbay1K and missamo80 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
As a lowly MVP, losing basically guaranteed Premium due to AA elites getting first dibs at 48/72 hours would still be a big devalue, though.
Out of SEA not a big deal, out of SFO bigger, out of LAX probably biggest deal. That being said you’ll actually have a route network that isn’t West Coast based (and let’s be clear, AA’s route network smokes B6 for everywhere save JFK/BOS if we’re dong a merger counterfactual for the 289696478th time- for the middle of the country it’s not even close).
jinglish and wolfpacktrojan like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:07 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
From the email:

Starting Spring 2020:

Earn Alaska Mileage Plan miles on any American Airlines flights, domestically and internationally.

Safe to assume these will be RDMs only? Or can we now get EQMs on AA flights?
Eurynom0s likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:12 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
From the email:

Safe to assume these will be RDMs only? Or can we now get EQMs on AA flights?[/color]
Curious about this too. And assuming you do get EQMs, looking at this page: https://www.alaskaair.com/content/mi...rican-airlines

Is the 25%/50%/75% earning for some of the economy buckets applicable to EQM earning as well, or only RDMs?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:14 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
As a LT AA PLT based in SAN, I see lots of upside - particularly if AA-AS offer reciprocal elite benefits at some point. I have been using AA to fill holes in the AS network, so the ability to earn MP miles on AA flights will all but guarantee making MVPG annually, but also put MVPG75k in reach - with the ability to fall back on AA LT PLT when I don't (Back to the Future?).

I see AA expanding its use of AS for domestic saver award redemption, lower priced fares, reserving seats to more desirable locations (Hawaii) for higher revenue customers, very much like UA used US when the latter was part of *A. This would make MP saver inventory more scarce, drive up AS fares.

Where this could become interesting is AA's use of married segments for award redemption; fully adding AS to the mix brings potential new opportunities.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:17 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by pmblinn
Only a wearer of the rosiest of rose-tinted glasses would believe AS wasn't already considering going revenue-based. This is just one path to get there.
AS has specifically called out its mileage program and the way it is structured as a tool that drives revenue and passengers. No reason to think it will change.

Really no different than WN still not charging for bags 12 years later.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:19 am

Originally Posted by MAH4546
AA is the single largest airline at LAX, the single largest long-haul airline LAX, and the single largest international airline at LAX.

AA has LHRx2, GRU, EZE, HNDx2, PVG, PEK, HKG, SYD, AKL and CHC from LA. Plus YVR, MEX, SJD, BZE, etc. That’s not existent?!?
Exactly!
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:20 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
This was quite the surprise to wake up to. I did not see this coming given the impending end of the AA/AS relationship.

That said, I'm not terribly surprised and I think this is probably driven more by AA than by AS, and perhaps AA was feeling so stung by the loss of LATAM that they made AS an offer that AS just couldn't refuse. From the AA side, this makes a lot of sense from a route perspective and enabling them to better compete with DL and UA. From the AS side, we've all long speculated about the future of AS without close relationships with DL or AA, so I think this answers the question of how easy it will be for a non-aligned airline to compete in the US market -- not so easy, so might as well be in bed with somebody.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Out of SEA not a big deal, out of SFO bigger, out of LAX probably biggest deal. That being said you’ll actually have a route network that isn’t West Coast based (and let’s be clear, AA’s route network smokes B6 for everywhere save JFK/BOS if we’re dong a merger counterfactual for the 289696478th time- for the middle of the country it’s not even close).
I'm based out of LAX so yeah for me it'll be a decent hit. It'll obviously be good in terms of getting more of a network so maybe MVPG will become within reach for me if earning on any AA flight in 2020 will include EQM, but right now Alaska happens to be able to get me to most of the places I want to go so it's a pretty mixed bag to have to trade basically-guaranteed Premium even as an MVP for the better route network.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:26 am

AS has specifically called out its mileage program and the way it is structured as a tool that drives revenue and passengers. No reason to think it will change.

Really no different than WN still not charging for bags 12 years later.
But unlike AS is doing now, WN hasn't gotten in bed with anyone else who'd have a strong incentive to push them on the matter.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:33 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by Eurynom0s
But unlike AS is doing now, WN hasn't gotten in bed with anyone else who'd have a strong incentive to push them on the matter.
A codeshare partnership does not allow airlines to illegally collude on business decisions.
wrp96 and jinglish like this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:34 am

A codeshare partnership does not allow airlines to illegally collude on business decisions.
How would it be illegal collusion to tell Alaska that they have to alter how MileagePlan works as part of the terms for joining oneworld?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:35 am

Programs: AS Peon
Is it possible that this could also lead to AS expanding networks outside of just the west coast, to AA hubs? Things like east coast-DFW, etc.?

Also, why does everyone seem to sure that the EK partnership is dead? EY and AA have been partners for a while with QR being in OW. Would EK really be that unhappy to see AS in OW with QR that they'd drop the partnership?
jinglish likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 9:41 am

Programs: AS 100K, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by akdancer
"Effective Immediately: Access any of American’s 50 Admirals Club locations worldwide with an Alaska Lounge membership. "

I'll test this on Sat. at SFO. Hope to report good news.

Overall, an interesting development - something needed to be done.
Ditto. This is the one amazing thing that I'll take. I'll test out LAX and EWR at the end of the month.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.