Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2021, 5:48 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Nice view of the oneworld livery on N487QS at C9 from the D lounge

Old Mar 31, 2021, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You're not reading it wrong. You should get access based on class of service or status. AA Flagship lounge and OW J lounge for sure, maybe even QF F lounge if "hey, it says first class on the ticket" works on the QF lounge dragons... though it should really be J.
So if I am an MVP Gold flying SEA-LAX-LIR on Alaska in Economy, would I have access to the Alaska Lounge in both SEA and LAX?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Single_Flyer
So if I am an MVP Gold flying SEA-LAX-LIR on Alaska in Economy, would I have access to the Alaska Lounge in both SEA and LAX?
By policy, it sure looks like it.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Look at
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33141392-post1396.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33141411-post1397.html
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by edgewood49
How did you do it ? I have two trips on BA and still wants to charge me.
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Try refreshing your ffn in the reservation
That was what I did, I used Finnair to swap in an AA number and then the AS number, went to BA's site and clicked the "confirm FFN" button on the "My Executive Club" page where you can manage bookings, told it to use the AS number, seat selections went through.

I don't think it's as important on the 78J for Club Suites coming home, but on the 788 on the outbound, a seat where I don't have to hop over anyone will be nice...
ACBLtd and NoLaGent like this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by PokerWhammy
I purchased a flight a few days ago as a AA Plat Pro and then paid $90/ seat for premium seating. Today, I noticed that I could select premium seats for free, so I asked Alaska Air via chat if I could get a refund of my seat fees. They refunded the fees
Asked the same and was declined -- which seems fair and reasonable (someone else may well have bought them if we hadn't), apart from the inconsistency.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edgewood49
How did you do it ? I have two trips on BA and still wants to charge me.
Are these 2 trips cash paid? Or awards and/or wanting to the change the ffn?
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:34 pm

By policy, it sure looks like it.
Seems like Alaska is confused still about it. Probably for a while it will depend on who is working the front desk but I'm guessing most will get turned away.

Here is what they are saying on Twitter (and it sounds like Samantha checked with someone else to get the response of "no"). Sorry, not sure how to post the tweet thread so you may have to click through.

Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by anhuang19
Posted on the mechanics of MVPG 75 upgrades on AA, but figured I should share here as well. Was able to select MCE as MVPG for both inbound and outbound flights today for everyone in the reservation (total 4 people). AS FF number was listed in the reservation, so I guess the integration is there!
Thanks for the update. Have an upcoming flight on AA, and was able to select MCE for free. If I am mistaken, prior to today, AA wanted more $ for the MCE seat than what I paid ($48 and change) for the ticket itself.

Let's go!
simonsuo likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 6:57 pm

Programs: Lifetime AS 1MM & MVPG, AS MVPG100K, AA, DL, HH-G
It may have been flying for a while now, but an AS ONEWORLD 737 just took off from SEA. Sorry I did not get a photo of the plane.
Old Mar 31, 2021, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
You'll also have access to the Admirals Club at LAX . Although I believe the one in T-5 is currently closed. In fact, You should have access as a OW Sapphire to the Flagship Lounge at LAX since LIR is in Central America (although technically still North America). And just think... if you were MVPG75 (OW Emerald), you would have access to the QANTAS F lounge at LAX as well. Oooh-la-la!!!

On a side note. BA has already updated their website to now show AS flights earning Tier Points (what you need to earn elite status) and not just Avios (FF miles).

Last edited by Fanjet; Mar 31, 2021 at 8:37 pm
Old Mar 31, 2021, 11:52 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
So, BNA got the lucky OneWorld plane 😂

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Nice view of the oneworld livery on N487AS at C9 from the D lounge

After late arrival into SEA from VCV, OneWorld livery plane went to BNA instead of OneWorld inaugural SFO😂. It is however scheduled to fly into SFO on 4/1 with a big maybe however.. (update).. seem now headed to PSP when it lands in SEA now. ...evolving flight changes...

Jiburi

Last edited by jiburi; Apr 1, 2021 at 8:13 am
Old Apr 1, 2021, 8:03 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by PokerWhammy
I purchased a flight a few days ago as a AA Plat Pro and then paid $90/ seat for premium seating. Today, I noticed that I could select premium seats for free, so I asked Alaska Air via chat if I could get a refund of my seat fees. They refunded the fees
This is why those of us who came to AS from AA have never looked back. While AS is not perfect, when compared to Pappy Parker and his Posse of Palookas over at AA the Seattle base airline is lightyears ahead in CR. Well, IMO anyway. Your mileage may vary.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 9:31 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
That was what I did, I used Finnair to swap in an AA number and then the AS number, went to BA's site and clicked the "confirm FFN" button on the "My Executive Club" page where you can manage bookings, told it to use the AS number, seat selections went through.

I don't think it's as important on the 78J for Club Suites coming home, but on the 788 on the outbound, a seat where I don't have to hop over anyone will be nice...
I have had a BA Executive Club account for a long time mostly to work my Schengen travel so what was happening was BA's system was crossing my reservations made on AS platform with my BA account. I called BA and got it worked out so that there is no further cross referencing.

There is no difference within BA's system between award or paid. DONE!!!!!!

Now on to my AA flight to Europe
beckoa and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Apr 1, 2021, 11:37 am

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by Fanjet
You'll also have access to the Admirals Club at LAX . Although I believe the one in T-5 is currently closed. In fact, You should have access as a OW Sapphire to the Flagship Lounge at LAX since LIR is in Central America (although technically still North America). And just think... if you were MVPG75 (OW Emerald), you would have access to the QANTAS F lounge at LAX as well. Oooh-la-la!!!
Except these are all closed and probably will be through 2021, which at that point they'll update the policy to fall more in line for OW rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.