Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 30, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by ual744777sta
I have a CX reservation in the fall and I reentered my AS number. CX has me listed as an OW elite now.
Same. YAY!
ual744777sta likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PDXPremier
....If the switch is indeed thrown tomorrow, I still think you'll need to figure out a way to remove and re-enter your AS # since my guess is that AA will be looking at your AS status when the reservation was booked and not after 3/31.
The usual OW way to change freq flyer numbers is the Finnair AY manage booking. https://www.finnair.com/au/gb/manage-booking-login
Delete freq flyer number. Exit manage booking. Go back in and add "new" ffn. QR QF & UL may also work.
Sometimes also needed when your status level has changed after making a reservation, as some systems do not auto refresh when go up in status.
eponymous_coward and NoLaGent like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by haddon90
as a *G with UA, i've accessed the *A lounge at LAX, the AC lounge at LAX, and the LH/TK lounges at IAD on domestic tickets. so i'm assuming the same will hold true for OW lounges.
I don't think so. IIRC, on the OneWorld website regarding lounge access, there is a footnote mentioning that OW Sapphires and Emeralds who have their status via AA's AAdvantage program do not have access to OW lounges on domestic U.S. itineraries. So, I expect "AS's Mileage Plan program" to be added alongside it shortly, if not already.
ACBLtd likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fanjet
I don't think so. IIRC, on the OneWorld website regarding lounge access, there is a footnote mentioning that OW Sapphires and Emeralds who have their status via AA's AAdvantage program do not have access to OW lounges on domestic U.S. itineraries. So, I expect "AS's Mileage Plan program" to be added alongside it shortly, if not already.
Look at post 1327 and the thread wiki.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The usual OW way to change freq flyer numbers is the Finnair AY manage booking. https://www.finnair.com/au/gb/manage-booking-login
Delete freq flyer number. Exit manage booking. Go back in and add "new" ffn. QR QF & UL may also work.
Sometimes also needed when your status level has changed after making a reservation, as some systems do not auto refresh when go up in status.
That did the trick for me on BA...
Mwenenzi, ACBLtd and Klrduks like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:39 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Not working for AA PNRs. I’ve had success with AY in the past, but on BA reservations. I think the issue is AS and AA use Sabre, while the others use Amadeus, or whatever is the current day equivalent.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 6:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
BA didn't work (yet), but QR did work to eliminate the seat fee (R class booking, seat fee waived for OWS or OWE), so presumably this is still being rolled out.
Adding my data point: I bought a ticket on BA website, using my AS FFN the evening of 29Mar, and it was showing seat fees. I just put the PNR into the BA app right now (30Mar 1752 Pacific time) and I'm being offered seats on my flights at no charge. I did not need to remove it and re-add it.
Have to say I also love that it auto-populated into the Alaska App.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:00 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
That did the trick for me on BA...
+1

Side note: anyone have a preference between BA 48 (781) J 5K bulkhead vs 6K? leaning toward no one in front of me...
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:02 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100k, UA Silver, AC P25k, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by SNAnghbr
From a link on a.net. Someone found the OW scheme. It appears to be out in the open at VCV

https://mobile.twitter.com/itriprepo...207129604?s=21

In a twist of events all the future flights that was there yesterday, it now gone for N487AS on both flightaware and flightradar24
Now scheduled to depart at 2200 PDT. Under the cover of darkness; yet didnt feel to keep it in a hangar in VCV.....they should have talked to AC on how to keep a livery secret until unveiling.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Klrduks
I do as well. My assumption is that I will have to put my Alaska FF# in the BA reservation and then it will let me make a seat selection as a 75K. (OW Emerald) I look forward to hearing folks experiences actually making seat selections with FF awards on partners to see how it works.
I used the Finnair suggestion, which worked well for updating my BA award reservation. Sadly, I got an error code whenever I tried to save the now-free seats Will call 3/31 to confirm.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bon mot
I used the Finnair suggestion, which worked well for updating my BA award reservation. Sadly, I got an error code whenever I tried to save the now-free seats Will call 3/31 to confirm.
Just wait for the reservation software to catch up. Try again in 12 or 24 hrs
ACBLtd, SEA777GUY and bon mot like this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 8:27 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, exiled from AA (2.7MM)
Originally Posted by bon mot
+1

Side note: anyone have a preference between BA 48 (781) J 5K bulkhead vs 6K? leaning toward no one in front of me...
I prefer 5AK to 6AK. The presence of the F cabin (rather than Lav or Galley) makes this a quiet spot.
bon mot likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 9:43 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, Marriott Plat, ICH Plat, HH Gold
Yes, BA now allows free seat assignments

Note that some seats are still blocked and only available for BA golds (e.g. row 1 on short haul C). There is a workaround but won't publish that here, I only did that as traveling with my wife (who is disabled) on a different PNR. Back when I was BA gold I didn't really like row 1 anyway due to limited legroom (except 1A/K in F on the 747).
Old Mar 30, 2021, 10:12 pm

Just made a free seat selection on Qatar.
simonsuo likes this.
Old Mar 30, 2021, 10:14 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by frankvb
There is a workaround but won't publish that here
Thanks for not posting. The benefit of sharing it would be very quickly outweighed by the abuse.
Mwenenzi, SEA777GUY and anteater like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.