Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2020, 3:02 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Typically it takes 6-12 months from formal invitation to officially join, so I doubt that they’ll be a part of Oneworld by the end of 2020 when those QR fares expire unfortunately.

Given AS glacial pace history with IT it will be closer to 12 than 6 in my unprofessional speckyulayshun
I thought in the news release, and the whole point of this was that they we’re being “fast tracked” and would join before the end of the year.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 8:10 am

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by NWplatinum
I thought in the news release, and the whole point of this was that they we’re being “fast tracked” and would join before the end of the year.
OW uses the term "hope" and AS uses the word "trying". There is no solid date yet as they have numerous hurdles and benchmarks to meet.

Old Jul 25, 2020, 9:05 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by dayone
Moderator Note: A friendly reminder that this thread is a discussion of AS joining oneworld, not award redemption or route availability. Thanks.

dayone, AS Moderator
But isn't this a real part of the discussion ? As a long time AS flyer (MM) I like many have longed for an alliance for our international travels especially when transferring internationally or in a position to alter plans for one reason or another. I know a number of times my CC given status has come in handy for that reason and have often written AS regarding this. Even when in the old days we use to get personal calls from AS management and asked what I would like to see it was always "alliance"

Just saying
NWplatinum and minz56 like this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Scoping and actually integrating the technology systems are also two totally different things. Unless the OW/AS team has streamlined their APIs and such, the fact that they aren't out of the scoping phase is not too promising for a "quick" turnaround.
NWplatinum, jinglish and williwaw like this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 7:15 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by safari ari
Scoping and actually integrating the technology systems are also two totally different things. Unless the OW/AS team has streamlined their APIs and such, the fact that they aren't out of the scoping phase is not too promising for a "quick" turnaround.
Truth. Real statement should be, “We are 60% of the way through figuring out how hard this will be.”
jinglish and safari ari like this.
Old Jul 25, 2020, 10:55 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
Typically it takes 6-12 months from formal invitation to officially join, so I doubt that they’ll be a part of Oneworld by the end of 2020 when those QR fares expire unfortunately.

Given AS glacial pace history with IT it will be closer to 12 than 6 in my unprofessional speckyulayshun
Ordinarily, these things are slow and take a long time. However, the fact that they announced they were targeting summer 2021 with the initial announcement in February 2020 and have now moved their estimate up to hoping for the end of 2020 (and said so first in an investor presentation a few weeks ago, not a press splash) seems to pretty clearly indicate that things are going quite smoothly so far and they have real reason to believe that end of 2020 is a realistic (or at least plausible) target. They obviously know better than any of us that it typically takes 6-12 months (or more, I thought) from invitation to actual joining. Presumably already having frequent flyer partnerships and the corresponding IT infrastructure with many of the oneworld member airlines helps.

But of course I know nothing; when airlines have joined alliances in the past, my recollection is that there was often or typically no advance announcement of a specific date. So we'll find out when they join.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 7:15 am

Programs: AS MVP100K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold
But who cares? Obviously we’re in unprecedented times, and OW wants them in the alliance now. It’s not like there’s millions traveling now anyway. So why not just officially have them join, and work out the kinks later? What does it mean to be “fast tracked?”

Doesn’t the press release say they’re going to officially be in OW before the end of the year and “fast track” them? I thought that was the whole point of this. I get it would normally take 6-12 months, but this is not normally.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by NWplatinum
But who cares? Obviously we’re in unprecedented times, and OW wants them in the alliance now. It’s not like there’s millions traveling now anyway. So why not just officially have them join, and work out the kinks later? What does it mean to be “fast tracked?”

Doesn’t the press release say they’re going to officially be in OW before the end of the year and “fast track” them? I thought that was the whole point of this. I get it would normally take 6-12 months, but this is not normally.
No, it doesn't. They originally announced summer of '21. As I said upthread, OW uses the term "hope" and AS uses the word "trying" to complete the work that needs to be done by the end of the year, but you can't just join without having everything in place for it to work properly. I'm not sure why that's so hard to grasp?

https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...-join-oneworld
Old Jul 26, 2020, 8:56 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
No, it doesn't. They originally announced summer of '21. As I said upthread, OW uses the term "hope" and AS uses the word "trying" to complete the work that needs to be done by the end of the year, but you can't just join without having everything in place for it to work properly. I'm not sure why that's so hard to grasp?

https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...-join-oneworld
I agree with NW PLT "who cares" As will be in OW by year end in one form or another one point is get in work the kinks out later in normal times that "that dog don't hunt" today its a very doable, travel is off and will continue to be off for several years.
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 9:11 am

Originally Posted by edgewood49
I agree with NW PLT "who cares" As will be in OW by year end in one form or another one point is get in work the kinks out later in normal times that "that dog don't hunt" today its a very doable, travel is off and will continue to be off for several years.
Well, I would hope that OW, AS and OW's member airlines would care, but what do I know?
Old Jul 26, 2020, 10:16 am

Programs: JMB, Bonvoy, Hyatt
While I agree this is not the same as a guarantee, it's also a lot more firm than just an offhand comment from an exec in AS. OW and AS both know how much work it is to implement the integrations needed, but still decided to publish the release with a target date of end of 2020 even knowing it might not look good if they miss it. They must have some confidence in the earlier date.
ashill likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 1:09 pm

If it doesn't matter that the infrastructure isn't set up, why isn't AS just joining OW tomorrow, considering they already have partnerships with most of the carriers, and having the actual implementation done is just a bonus...? And the same group of people complain when we can't redeem miles on partners two years after the partnership.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
If it doesn't matter that the infrastructure isn't set up, why isn't AS just joining OW tomorrow, considering they already have partnerships with most of the carriers, and having the actual implementation done is just a bonus...? And the same group of people complain when we can't redeem miles on partners two years after the partnership.
Because there is more to this than just paperwork. “Sorry, we can’t issue your OW ticket involving Alaska flights because while there’s a sheet of paper that says they are a member, we haven’t actually done the thing that lets tickets be issued”.

The oneworld explorer ticket FAQs

Now multiply by lounge access, baggage handling and fees and it turns into a mess that just gives you angry customers. See: UA/CO merger where they screwed up ticketing and operations day one of the merged airline.
NoLaGent likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 5:10 pm

Decided to dig more into the topic. Seems OW uses Boomi as their integration tool, and it took Air Maroc from their announcement 12/2018 until 4/2020 to be fully integrated into OW. So ~18 months of work, OW also did the implementation with AB (RIP) in 2013 to integrate them with the OW system and other OW specific airlines, so this wasn't the first go around. I bet they have incorporated some lessons learned, but being that the latest project took ~18 months, I am not seeing how AS can get it done in 5 months, unless their IT department is that much better and committed, but they are probably handling much more data now.

https://www.oneworld.com/news/onewor...lin-s-addition
https://www.oneworld.com/news/onewor...ion-gains-pace
https://boomi.com/press_release/onew...ed-dell-boomi/
NWplatinum likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2020, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Because there is more to this than just paperwork. “Sorry, we can’t issue your OW ticket involving Alaska flights because while there’s a sheet of paper that says they are a member, we haven’t actually done the thing that lets tickets be issued”.

The oneworld explorer ticket FAQs

Now multiply by lounge access, baggage handling and fees and it turns into a mess that just gives you angry customers. See: UA/CO merger where they screwed up ticketing and operations day one of the merged airline.
My comment was facetious to the ones stating that AS should just be in OW even before the completion of their implementation into OW. People are very much putting the cart before the horse, saying AS should just be in and everything will work out on day one with nothing setup.
eponymous_coward and NoLaGent like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.