Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by dliesse
Not really affected by this for multiple reasons, but still sad to see. AA is the worst of the big 3 in the US, and I've always considered OneWorld the least of the three global alliances.
Apart from the period of operational chaos last spring/summer, I have no major complaints flying AA. I’m not sure they are better than UA, but certainly no worse.

As someone currently based in ORD, this is mostly good news. The potential bad news is that as an MVP, I was almost always able to sit in premium seats, so not sure how that will change if the elite ranks increase. I basically fly enough miles on AS just to retain status.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:07 pm

Programs: 1K (since 2008), *G (since 1990), 1MM
Originally Posted by CoMooter
All the Big 3 are going to be hemorrhaging cash flow this year due to Asia issues - I don’t see them making too many ‘middle finger’ money losing moves right now domestically.
Well as a current UA 1K member who was considering a status match/challange to AS in the last quarter of the year I think I may need to rethink AS. I liked that SQ was part of AS MP, and I also liked that EK was part of the AS family. I can fly SQ through *A but it is not a great friendship.

Will look to see how the dust settles the challenge will be Q121.

Never really flown AA but that article about the FA and the FC seat was quite jarring.

*sigh
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 1353513636
I think people are panicking way too much at this announcement, suggesting that the award charts will disappear this weekend etc.....
Originally Posted by Travelchurner
This is the end of MileagePlan's generous award chart with JL and CX!!!
....!!!
Would you please provide evidence of that.
Within OW award charts have a wide disparately. Some have (high) cash surcharges.
Earn to burn has wide range in OW ffp's.

Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I’m in the EK lounge now finishing up the final leg of a trip that will net me just about enough miles for a one way Asia-US Biz class ticket on CX.

I think this announcement will be the beginning of the end of this kind of bargain. I’m basically getting one free flight for every 2 I take and I love AS for this but figured it would end eventually.
Emirates has ff partnerships with: Alaska Airlines, COPA Airlines, Gol Transportes Aéreos, Japan Airlines, Jetblue Airways, Korean Air, Malaysia Airlines, Qantas Airways, S7 Airlines, South African Airways, TAP Portugal
Four of those are OW airlines
https://www.wheretocredit.com/emirates

Some OW airlines have ff partnerships with out of alliance airlines and non alliance airlines (QF, MH, JL, S7 -->EK, AA-->EY etc)
https://www.wheretocredit.com/jl
https://www.wheretocredit.com/cx
https://www.wheretocredit.com/aa

https://www.oneworld.com/members

AS is a ff partner of many OW airlines now.
From https://www.wheretocredit.com/alaska-airlines
Alaska Airlines can earn miles on, British Airways, Cathay Pacific Airways, Emirates, Finnair, Hainan Airlines, Japan Airlines, Korean Air, LATAM Airlines, Qantas Airways, Singapore Airlines
ft543 and jimmygottfredson like this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 13, 2020 at 1:46 pm
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:18 pm

Why does everyone assume that Alaska will move to a revenue based FF program? They have kept the current system as a marketing tool and to keep people flying on Alaska. Each airline can control how many miles, EQM and EQD you earn on partner airlines. Delta is the main airline that Alaska has to compete with and joining One World helps them keep people flying AS.
WillTravel4Food likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:26 pm

Programs: Hilton Platinum, Alaska MVP Gold
People assume it because almost everyone has changed, but this is one of those things that differentiates Alaska. Like Southwest and luggage, everyone else does it, but not Southwest, its one of those things to differentiate.

This whole AA/Oneworld thing is a home run. I can return to flying AA domestically where Alaska does not serve and its fine.

Originally Posted by Tango
Why does everyone assume that Alaska will move to a revenue based FF program? They have kept the current system as a marketing tool and to keep people flying on Alaska. Each airline can control how many miles, EQM and EQD you earn on partner airlines. Delta is the main airline that Alaska has to compete with and joining One World helps them keep people flying AS.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Looks like AA and AS have mended their relationships.

Wonder if this would signal the end of some of AS current non-OW partners?

Yeah so no more AF awards or earning?

If you want to earn and redeem for TATLs it's the high BA fees ($1500 for J awards on BA)?

Did they have redemptions on KLM?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:30 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Simply because American is not going to give away all the revenue it earns with AAdvantage by allowing AS to be its FF bank. If it is going to be way better for those currently using AAdvantage to bank all their miles will Alaska, then AA would take a huge financial hit. AS doesn't have to necessarily go to a revenue based system as they can accomplish that with reduced earning and using $ amount minimums to enable Mileage Plan member to gain OW status. AA is one of the founding members of OW and will call the shots. AA is not doing this for AS's benefit, they are doing it for their own. AS may have some side benefits like gaining access to a wider domestic audience and adding feed to a handful of international flights but to think AA is going to allow AS to keep their FF program as it is seems very unlikely.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:33 pm

Programs: alaska
Originally Posted by sullim4
Exactly. BA has 2x service to SEA.

I’d rather see SEA-MAD to feed Iberia and give an alternative to BA in Europe.
This or BCN would be awesome, assuming the redemption rates were similar to BA.

Especially since Alaska lost AF and KLM, the Europe options have been kinda lousy.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Simply because American is not going to give away all the revenue it earns with AAdvantage by allowing AS to be its FF bank. If it is going to be way better for those currently using AAdvantage to bank all their miles will Alaska, then AA would take a huge financial hit. AS doesn't have to necessarily go to a revenue based system as they can accomplish that with reduced earning and using $ amount minimums to enable Mileage Plan member to gain OW status. AA is one of the founding members of OW and will call the shots. AA is not doing this for AS's benefit, they are doing it for their own. AS may have some side benefits like gaining access to a wider domestic audience and adding feed to a handful of international flights but to think AA is going to allow AS to keep their FF program as it is seems very unlikely.
You are oversimplying. The amount of people that will "switch" to AS is so insanely negligible it will have no affect. Most people will remain primarily to their primary carrier.

AA also cannot "call the shots" because that's illegal collusion. They aren't applying for anti-trust.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:34 pm

Programs: AS 100k, UA Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
This is FANTASTIC news and I was thrilled when I saw it come through. As one who travels to a lot of destinations in the US that are not served (or not conveniently served) by AS I can now take PDX-DFW/ORD/CLT and connect to Southern/Midwest destinations and avoid SEA altogether! Great news.

Additionally, my wife and I love the AA Europe long-hauls (flew DFW-DUB and FCO-DFW) last summer in J and am thrilled to have the OW status enhancements on those AA international routes now. Hands down would prefer to put my money towards supporting a US-based business over any other when I am flying abroad.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by wco81
Yeah so no more AF awards or earning?

If you want to earn and redeem for TATLs it's the high BA fees ($1500 for J awards on BA)?

Did they have redemptions on KLM?
AF and KL have not been AS partners for almost two years now.
milypan likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why does everyone assume that Alaska will move to a revenue based FF program?......
Indeed ??
Originally Posted by WebTraveler
People assume it because almost everyone has changed, but this is one of those things that differentiates Alaska. Like Southwest and luggage, everyone else does it, but not Southwest, its one of those things to differentiate.

This whole AA/Oneworld thing is a home run. I can return to flying AA domestically where Alaska does not serve and its fine.
Incorrect. Most OW ffp's are not revenue based and have not changed. AA is revenue based. OW is not just North America

Originally Posted by Repooc17
AF and KL have not been AS partners for almost two years now.
QF & AF/KLM are now ff partners
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: alaska
The big worry for me and several others seems to be how much Alaska is going to devalue its miles as a result of this.

Currently, the JAL/Cathay redemption rates are terrific. If those change, this would actually make me LESS likely to collect Alaska miles.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:37 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Agree--that has to be one of the strangest Alliance announcements ever. Emphasizing that Alaska will be feeding American's nearly non-existent international long haul flights from SEA/LAX. Yesterday they were falling out of love and today they are best friends. .
The backstory will probably never be told or won't be clear for a few years. Who started the divorce and who started the make up?
Old Feb 13, 2020, 1:42 pm

Programs: AS 100K, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond
A lot of people speculating AS will go revenue based. I don't think it makes sense for AS because they don't operate any high $ premium product (like international J or lie flat transcon). On AA J flyers just need 2-4 international J RTs to reach 15k EQDS, but you can't do that in AS.

As for increasing requirements, I can see 75K going up to 100k partner miles, and tbh I don't see that as a huge hit to take for the added OWE benefits.
Mwenenzi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.