Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 13, 2020, 8:18 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: eponymous_coward
Alaska joined oneworld on March 31, 2021. https://blog.alaskaair.com/destinati...nce-countdown/

Note: you cannot make award bookings on OW partners that were not already partners before 3/31 (so can't book QR, UL, S7, MH, RJ, IB, AT). ETA is "later in 2021" (as of April 2021).

Speculation thread for possible changes to Mileage Plan: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/alas...l#post32086422

Press Releases related to oneworld announcement:

AS: https://newsroom.alaskaair.com/news-...es?item=123939

OW: https://www.oneworld.com/news/2020-0...n-the-alliance

AA: http://news.aa.com/news/news-details...P/default.aspx
Video: https://player.vimeo.com/video/390731665

Few bullets from releases:
  • Alaska Airlines intends to join the oneworld® alliance, the world's fastest growing and most highly rated global airline alliance, by summer 2021, which will connect Alaska guests to more than 1,200 destinations worldwide.
  • American will launch the first service from Seattle (SEA) to Bangalore, India (BLR) beginning October 2020. A new American route from SEA to the global business hub London Heathrow (LHR) will begin flying in March 2021.
  • The airlines will continue their domestic codeshare that offers customers hassle-free booking and travel between the two networks. The codeshare will expand to include international routes from Los Angeles (LAX) and SEA.
  • Alaska and American loyalty members will enjoy benefits across both airlines, including the ability to earn and use miles on both airlines’ full networks, elite status reciprocity and lounge access to nearly 50 American Admirals Club lounges worldwide and seven Alaska Lounges in the U.S.
  • For MVP Golds and Gold 75Ks, you will be able to access more than 650 international business class lounges within the oneworld member airline network when flying on an international ticket on an itinerary outside of North America. Source

Earning redeemable and elite qualifying miles on all flights marketed and operated by AA was restored on April 1, 2020. Earning chart

Print Wikipost

Alaska Joined oneworld (3/31/2021)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 14, 2021, 2:14 pm

Programs: AS 100K, HH Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Are non-rev agreements part of any sort of partnership (be that code-sharing, inter-lining, a joint venture, etc.)? (You seem to be informed)

A.k.a. As AS independently struck partnerships with BA, CX, QF, etc., over the preceding years, did that generally include non-rev opportunities in some form?
You can often non-rev even with non-partner airlines (e.g. WN can fly AA international nonrev), but often part of a closer partnership is a lower-cost nonrev ticket. Can't speak to AS agreements, but at WN AA/UA to say SCL might have been $200 roundtrip, space-a, while with a partner airline (say AS with AA) it could be free or $50 instead.

Exact details contract by contract. Some get a % off lowest published, some off full-fare, and most have intricacies in which taxes/surcharges/other pieces you do/don't have to cover. Most airlines give a few positive-space flights per year to their own employees, so perhaps AS/AA have made those deals metal neutral between the two as well.
futuramadramallama likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2021, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS MVPG75K, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, AGR S+
Originally Posted by futuramadramallama
Are non-rev agreements part of any sort of partnership (be that code-sharing, inter-lining, a joint venture, etc.)? (You seem to be informed)

A.k.a. As AS independently struck partnerships with BA, CX, QF, etc., over the preceding years, did that generally include non-rev opportunities in some form?
This:

Originally Posted by icelandman2
You can often non-rev even with non-partner airlines (e.g. WN can fly AA international nonrev), but often part of a closer partnership is a lower-cost nonrev ticket. Can't speak to AS agreements, but at WN AA/UA to say SCL might have been $200 roundtrip, space-a, while with a partner airline (say AS with AA) it could be free or $50 instead.

Exact details contract by contract. Some get a % off lowest published, some off full-fare, and most have intricacies in which taxes/surcharges/other pieces you do/don't have to cover. Most airlines give a few positive-space flights per year to their own employees, so perhaps AS/AA have made those deals metal neutral between the two as well.
Most airline employees could non-rev to just about anywhere in the world. Any carrier of even modest size is going to have agreements with about ever other carrier of modest size. Coming into an alliance may make member airlines cheaper to non-rev on, as was the case for AAG joining OW. A couple of the airlines were new agreements (no previous one existed) but there were already agreements for most of them. For some there was no change to the cost to an AAG employee but for others travel became cheaper.
Old Apr 18, 2021, 6:38 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by SOCguy
Coming into an alliance may make member airlines cheaper to non-rev on, as was the case for AAG joining OW.
oneworld airlines non-revs also have a slightly higher boarding priority on AA than non-alliance airlines non-revs.

According to the AA Travel Guide (page 15), the boarding priority is as follows: AA employees and dependents, AA retirees, parents of AA employees, AA regional affiliates employees and their eligible travelers, buddy passes, oneworld airlines employees, retirees and eligible travelers, and lastly, other airlines employees, retirees and eligible travelers.

Last edited by TWA884; Apr 18, 2021 at 6:46 pm
Old Apr 26, 2021, 11:51 am

Programs: HH Diamond
World Traveller Plus Seats?

I am an Alaska MVP Gold and booked a trip to Europe on American Airlines. My outbound flight is a codeshare that is operated by British Airways. Should I have access to World Traveller Plus Seats on this flight? On my return trip on American Airlines, I was able to reserve Main Cabin Extra seats, but my outbound is not giving me access to select World Traveller Plus.

When I reserved the flights through American, there was a mixup and they didn't include my Alaska number (I had to call and they included an old AA Advantage number with no status) and I am trying to figure out if that's why I don't have access to these seats; or, if the Alaska status doesn't give me access to World Traveller Plus.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old Apr 26, 2021, 12:01 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Originally Posted by uclabruinfan
I am an Alaska MVP Gold and booked a trip to Europe on American Airlines. My outbound flight is a codeshare that is operated by British Airways. Should I have access to World Traveller Plus Seats on this flight? On my return trip on American Airlines, I was able to reserve Main Cabin Extra seats, but my outbound is not giving me access to select World Traveller Plus.

When I reserved the flights through American, there was a mixup and they didn't include my Alaska number (I had to call and they included an old AA Advantage number with no status) and I am trying to figure out if that's why I don't have access to these seats; or, if the Alaska status doesn't give me access to World Traveller Plus.

Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks!
From the sound of it, you booked an Economy ticket. MCE != WTP. MCE is just an extra legroom economy seat, WTP is a separate cabin equal to Premium Economy on AA/International carriers. BA does not have a similar MCE, and you are not entitled to WTP without paying for it.
Old Apr 26, 2021, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by uclabruinfan

Any insight would be appreciated.!
Anyway AA MCE seats are not a OW elite benefit. Used to be, but AA changed the rules. Now only elites from AA and AA joint venture partners (BA, IB AY JL) and AS (all outside of OW)
These posts explains-->
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33073612-post19.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/33074623-post21.html
Old Jun 11, 2021, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I have an upcoming flight with AA, and using my AS status, I had assigned myself a complementary MCE seat.

Let's say I'd contact AA, and request the change of my FF crediting from AS to AA, can I assume my MCE seat would be lost and auto updated to a main cabin seat?
Old Jun 12, 2021, 11:26 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Anyone seeing status mapping errors using an AA # on an AS reservation? I’m AA Plat (OW sapphire) but AS sees it as Ruby. No advance premium seats for me. First line support couldn’t figure it out and forwarded it to IT.
Old Jun 12, 2021, 11:50 am

Programs: Alaska 100k
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
Anyone seeing status mapping errors using an AA # on an AS reservation? I’m AA Plat (OW sapphire) but AS sees it as Ruby. No advance premium seats for me. First line support couldn’t figure it out and forwarded it to IT.
As an anecdote, I was MVP for my last AA flight. My boarding pass said "GOLD" on it. This might have been because the OW Ruby level for AA is Gold.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 10:50 am

Programs: AS Million Miler/Marriott Lifetime Titanium/ IGH Ambassador
When the EK announcement was made I immediately looked to see if Qatar was up and running NO so I wrote AS asking how could this happen without the ability to book OW ( other than BA ) more in particular Qatar and no ability shown. I just got a reply stating that as of August 1st we will be able to book Qatar and others, YEAAAA. While I will miss EK having taken 6 trips on them their cabins were getting little long in the tooth and the ability to fly through Doho will be something to look forward to, the Louvre etc.

What I am nervous about is the forthcoming redemption charts. AA is readying a chartless system, thank you Parker! Where will AS go/be in all this mess is to be seen. I am going to a reception 6/24 with the top management of AS and have some questions to ask, will post afterwards.
pcoll likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 10:52 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by edgewood49
When the EK announcement was made I immediately looked to see if Qatar was up and running NO so I wrote AS asking how could this happen without the ability to book OW ( other than BA ) more in particular Qatar and no ability shown. I just got a reply stating that as of August 1st we will be able to book Qatar and others, YEAAAA. While I will miss EK having taken 6 trips on them their cabins were getting little long in the tooth and the ability to fly through Doho will be something to look forward to, the Louvre etc.

What I am nervous about is the forthcoming redemption charts. AA is readying a chartless system, thank you Parker! Where will AS go/be in all this mess is to be seen. I am going to a reception 6/24 with the top management of AS and have some questions to ask, will post afterwards.
AS has said over and over again they will not do away with award chart or mileage based earning, and would give advance notice in any changes like they did with EK. We have to keep them at their word until they prove otherwise.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer
We have to keep them at their word until they prove otherwise.
Agreed. All things being equal, I think AS' program has earned and deserves the benefit of the doubt here. The opposite, of course, would be DL, I guess. LOL
Old Jun 13, 2021, 12:09 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by sturges
As an anecdote, I was MVP for my last AA flight. My boarding pass said "GOLD" on it. This might have been because the OW Ruby level for AA is Gold.
The agent taking it out and putting it back in seemed to fix it.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
Any news on AS and OW RTW tickets? I’ve used AA RTW desk in the past with good results but been hearing the service has declined a bit.
Old Jun 13, 2021, 12:54 pm

I had not seen this before and am not sure if this has been discussed but Qatar is filing for what seems like a fairly decent code share on AS.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/simplef...re-filing/amp/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.