Wiki Posts
Search

Getting to Fiji in Business with miles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Hilton Gold, Red Lion Gold

So, Fiji is on my list for some point in the next 2-3 years. I’ve started looking 8-9 months out from today, and finding seats in Business is almost impossible. Then I looked at like 3-4 months and even more rare.

Are there best days? Best times of the year? Best booking window? I want to go dive, and year round the diving appears to be great. But I’m not having the greatest luck figuring out the best time and way to score a seat up front. And I just won’t go if I have to fly in the back.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:42 am

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
I too have noticed a lack of continental USA to Fiji Business class availability.

I did find that you can get from Australia or New Zealand to Fiji on Business. But getting to and from the US to NAN is a mystery to me. I too hope someone here has some info and ideas. Thanks.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 2:15 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mikexner
So, Fiji is on my list for some point in the next 2-3 years. I’ve started looking 8-9 months out from today, and finding seats in Business is almost impossible. Then I looked at like 3-4 months and even more rare.

Are there best days? Best times of the year? Best booking window? I want to go dive, and year round the diving appears to be great. But I’m not having the greatest luck figuring out the best time and way to score a seat up front. And I just won’t go if I have to fly in the back.
The availability for FJ J is usually snapped when they become available towards the end of the booking window. If you are only looking 8-9 months out, I think the availability will have long been booked a few months back. With your 2-3 years out time frame, things could be very much different, one way or the other.

Also consider from HNL, FJ J to Australia is 40K in J, but that may be a recliner with a stop in the Christmas Islands. It is hard to say with the introduction of the A350 and the A330s now being used on NAN-AU where 738s were used, if they will also use them on the HNL-NAN routes. 2-3 years is a long way off.

James
davistev likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 6:46 am

Programs: Alaska
LAX-NAN end of schedule.

Nov 25th and 26th has business availability
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 8:12 am

I just booked 2J LAX-NAN in August. Search directly from NAN-LAX/SFO and use the business button on the calendar search: there usually aren't intra-US awards available at the end of the booking window, so you won't get tricked by other airlines or mixed-cabin itineraries.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 12:49 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Also consider from HNL, FJ J to Australia is 40K in J, but that may be a recliner with a stop in the Christmas Islands. It is hard to say with the introduction of the A350 and the A330s now being used on NAN-AU where 738s were used, if they will also use them on the HNL-NAN routes. 2-3 years is a long way off.

HNL-NAN has three routes: HNL-NAN nonstop, HNL-CXI-NAN and HNL-APW-NAN. All are operated by the 738s and 7M8s. When I went to NAN earlier this year, I originally had seats in “J” on the CXI flight, which was scheduled to be flown with a 7M8. With the 7M8 issues, the wife and I decided to forego the Kiribati stamp and ended up booking QF/FJ HNL-SYD and SYD-NAN, which I then changed to LAX-SYD and SYD-NAN. I really doubt the A330s will go to HNL on a regular basis.

The issue with Fiji is the lack of service down there, so there’s a limited amount of seats. The Fijian government really keeps everyone out of the country except the Australians and Kiwis. NAN is a nice airport and the FJ lounge in the basement is really nice, especially at 7a. It was the only place I found on the island with drinkable coffee!
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by tusphotog

The issue with Fiji is the lack of service down there, so there’s a limited amount of seats. The Fijian government really keeps everyone out of the country except the Australians and Kiwis. NAN is a nice airport and the FJ lounge in the basement is really nice, especially at 7a. It was the only place I found on the island with drinkable coffee!
Thanks for the additional information. I had 2 J award seats booked HNL-CXI-NAN//NAN-SYD for last month but later canceled them for other options.

I have flown through NAN on a paid JF ticket. The Airport is nice, Fiji water is inexpensive there. It is a little different though that there is only one gate that takes you to an outdoor corridor to the plane at boarding height and a quick search of carry-on bags before boarding. I agree the lounge is nice too, sans the showers.

James
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:58 pm

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG/*A Gold

I did US to OZ twice with free stopovers in Fiji on FJ. The most recent was booked in November 2017 for travel in May 2018. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:24 pm

Programs: NZ
I booked in June last year at end of schedule for my LAX/NAN/AKL flights in April this year. There was "reasonable" availability at that time.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I booked today with the deal. I saw availability (from SFO) on 11/24 and 11/28. I booked 11/24.

It's right out to the end of the schedule and I'd doing a 5-night stopover in NAN before going on to MEL. I can't even book my return yet because I want something past end of schedule.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 8:38 am

Programs: w/+1: AS MVPG; IHG/Marriott Plat; Hilton/BW Diamond; Hertz Prez; SG/*A Gold
AS is currently running a sale.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 10:36 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Looking at some NAN-LAX or NAN-SFO for Jul 2021 and it appears everything in both Y and J is blocked from Jul 4 - Aug 8 for both routes. Is this normal each July and should I expect anything to open up as the dates draw near?

Last edited by hockeystl; Oct 9, 2020 at 11:21 am
Old Oct 9, 2020, 10:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Is hard...

Regards
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by scubadu
Is hard...

Regards
I have 2 FJ J awards to & from AU with a NAN stopover on the outbound for February. They are listed under Trips->Pipe Dreams in my MP Account. When FJ cancels the flights (not if) I won't ask AS to reprimand Fiji or Australia; 52% & 46% owners. lol

James
Finkface likes this.
Old Oct 9, 2020, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some people are replying to Jan 2020 posts (pre Covid-19)
Originally Posted by hockeystl
Looking at some NAN-LAX or NAN-SFO for Jul 2021 and it appears everything in both Y and J is blocked from Jul 4 - Aug 8 for both routes. Is this normal each July and should I expect anything to open up as the dates draw near?
-----> Covid-19 ??
-----> Exiting bookings/school holidays??
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
I have 2 FJ J awards to & from AU with a NAN stopover on the outbound for February. They are listed under Trips->Pipe Dreams in my MP Account. When FJ cancels the flights (not if) I won't ask AS to reprimand Fiji or Australia; 52% & 46% owners. lol
07 Oct 2020 (news.com.au) ---> Grim forecast about when you can travel overseas
<snip>
Aussies are not expected to be able to travel overseas until late 2021, the Treasurer has confirmed after handing down the Federal Budget.

Speaking to the National Press Club on Wednesday, Josh Frydenberg said international borders would likely remain “largely closed off until late next year”.

The Treasurer said the Budget assumed domestic borders would reopen by December, but international travel would not be possible until there was a vaccine.

“International travel, including by tourists and international students, is assumed to remain largely closed off until late next year and then gradually return over time, and a vaccine to be available around the end of 2021 is one of the assumptions in the budget,” Mr Frydenberg told the National Press Club.
<snip>
The Budget papers confirm that international tourism — both inbound and outbound — is expected to remain low until the latter part of 2021 and recover gradually.
<snip>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.