Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA J/F awards completely gone?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2020, 12:33 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold
Originally Posted by applegrcoug
Ok, so another data point now I know what to look for..

11/15 and 16...

BLQ-LHR-YVR on BA is five one day and I think seven anothet....AS zilch.

This little discovery is really annoying...cost me 500 bucks!
Did you buy miles or something? I looked upthread but didn’t pick up on any clues.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 5:52 am

Oh SOB, you're right! They are sneaky with how they show that.
Yes, you have to be careful, it will often show as Business seat available but actually only on the short-haul connecting flight, and the long haul transatlantic is still in Y. and they charge the full Business miles for it.
The best way to quickly scan is to look out for the little blue man on the blue seat next to the taxes, which is the symbol for mixed class itinerary and also if the taxes are the same as the Y column next to it, then you know the long haul is in Y. Cuz BA definitely charges way more for taxes in C and F...lol
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by yulsee
I didn't call AS or AA to try to book it by phone.

You didn't try to book it on AS using your AS miles when there showed no availability on any other site but Asia Miles?

Okay then.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:31 am

Call customer service

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
It seems like BA J/F awards are completely gone from AS website? I searched LHR-DEN for 06/11/2020 and I could see J/F availability on both BA site and Asia Miles/CX site, but not AS site.
I know many people don't like using telephones to make telephone calls, but have you tried calling customer service at AS? In many cases, a phone call reveals availability that may not appear on the website. I often use BA Avios to book AA flights. More often than not, I will see availability on the AA site, but not the BA site. When I call BA, they are always able to get me those seats. I have had similar experiences with UA, where I could see availability on a partner site, but not on the UA site. Try doing it the old fashioned way...call them.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jrpallante
I know many people don't like using telephones to make telephone calls, but have you tried calling customer service at AS? In many cases, a phone call reveals availability that may not appear on the website. I often use BA Avios to book AA flights. More often than not, I will see availability on the AA site, but not the BA site. When I call BA, they are always able to get me those seats. I have had similar experiences with UA, where I could see availability on a partner site, but not on the UA site. Try doing it the old fashioned way...call them.
The AS agents will only use the website with the availability we see for any airline that we can book online.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:09 am

Programs: UA, AS
Originally Posted by Calculon
Did you buy miles or something? I looked upthread but didn’t pick up on any clues.
Yup, a few weeks ago when AS was having their promo I got enough for two J TATL tickets. Looked at fees on AS vs BA and thought, the difference in fees would pay for the miles. Whoops! Not sure what to use a pile of AS miles for now as TATL seems to be non-existent.

Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
Yes, you have to be careful, it will often show as Business seat available but actually only on the short-haul connecting flight, and the long haul transatlantic is still in Y. and they charge the full Business miles for it.
The best way to quickly scan is to look out for the little blue man on the blue seat next to the taxes, which is the symbol for mixed class itinerary and also if the taxes are the same as the Y column next to it, then you know the long haul is in Y. Cuz BA definitely charges way more for taxes in C and F...lol
The difference in fees should have been a clue. Now then, I have been looking on the AS app. On the app, there is no little guy in a seat, and when you click the flight for details it doesn't disclose the split cabin either. The only place you get to see it if you select the flight and toward checkout to buy it and then it is not quite the fine print, but it isn't obvious either. I have also been doing searching on UAs app, and split cabins there are obvious with red writing.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 10:47 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Yup, a few weeks ago when AS was having their promo I got enough for two J TATL tickets. Looked at fees on AS vs BA and thought, the difference in fees would pay for the miles. Whoops! Not sure what to use a pile of AS miles for now as TATL seems to be non-existent.

The difference in fees should have been a clue. Now then, I have been looking on the AS app. On the app, there is no little guy in a seat, and when you click the flight for details it doesn't disclose the split cabin either. The only place you get to see it if you select the flight and toward checkout to buy it and then it is not quite the fine print, but it isn't obvious either. I have also been doing searching on UAs app, and split cabins there are obvious with red writing.
i don’t use the app much but split cabin itins are shown in a banner across the top. It is pretty large and in yellow (mustard?).

Old Jan 28, 2020, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA, AS
Yeah, it is there....

But, you do the search..it pulls, you hit details...cool an A380. Select it...now go to checkout and you get the yellow mustard message. That is something like three or four screens into it. Tough to check quickly.

I know, not trying to shoot the messenger, just annoyed is all.

Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:07 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
As mentioned already, just look at the taxes, that's what I do. If Y and C are the same, you automatically know it's split on BA for the longhaul.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lalala
You didn't try to book it on AS using your AS miles when there showed no availability on any other site but Asia Miles?

Okay then.
Yeah I didn't call AA or AS to try to book it by phone because the date on which the flight was available on BA.com or AsiaMiles.com didn't match my desired travel date.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by jrpallante
I just got off the phone with AS and unfortunately they don't see any space either, and also the agent said that she is on the job for 2 years and its always been hard to get BA business for the long haul.
This shows that: she didn't understand my real question (since when has BA offered different award availability to AS). I know because I made my last booking 6 months ago and the availability matched 1:1 between BA and AS.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 12:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by rosenkavalier
I just got off the phone with AS and unfortunately they don't see any space either, and also the agent said that she is on the job for 2 years and its always been hard to get BA business for the long haul.
This shows that: she didn't understand my real question (since when has BA offered different award availability to AS). I know because I made my last booking 6 months ago and the availability matched 1:1 between BA and AS.
That’s not true at all. BA long haul was always easy to find before this—although it comes with high YQ
lalala likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by eddiehuang97
That’s not true at all. BA long haul was always easy to find before this—although it comes with high YQ
exactly, that's what made the high YQ kind of tolerable, the fact that you more or less knew that you would get a seat. That made planning for trips easier, and not having to keep looking for space on other alliances 11 months out. Also I don't live in the UK so the YQ was always about $200 less ex-Europe because I would just transit via LHR. The easy availability was an acceptable trade-off for the higher than usual YQ.
The agent also had a slightly 'school teacher' tone when she lectured me how airline inventory works, explaining that BA would prefer to sell those seats for $ thats why they hold them back bla bla bla. I didn't even bother to school her on the fact that BA has a policy of releasing at least 2 business awards on every flight when the schedule opens and it has been their official policy, as she didn't seem to doubt her experience and 'knowledge' of the matter...haha
Old Jan 31, 2020, 9:01 am

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I agree with those that have said this is a major issue. With the departure of Delta, AF & KLM and the high mileage for Air Lingus, the only real option for premium seats usually was BA. As rosenkavalier said, BA was always a good fallback if you needed a specific date/time for a European flight. If the availability does not come back, to me as a long time AS flyer, this is a significant loss for the program. I am glad I got the Chase Sapphire Reserve several years back and started accumulating points/miles there to give me some flexibility. I have a DEN-LHR-DEN trip in F in April/May that I booked back in September. I hope it is not my last.
Old Jan 31, 2020, 2:00 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines, Hertz, Marriott
Has anyone tried to reach-out to someone in management at Alaska regarding the apparent severe diminishment (or disappearance) of F and J awards on BA? Is this something anecdotal, or is it a change in the partnership between British Airways and Alaska? Someone earlier mentioned that this could be an IT issue. Talking to reservations agents is not likely the best source of information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.