Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What’s your tipping point to buy into F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What’s your tipping point to buy into F?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by beckoa
...what empty middle?

Things have gotten quite full.

And yes, F is pricing out often at a much more reasonable level. So its making it more difficult to secure an upgrade.
My wife and I book 17A/C when we are traveling without our kids and even on very full flights (like SEA-SAN last Sunday), we've had pretty good luck not having anyone in 17B.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
My wife and I book 17A/C when we are traveling without our kids and even on very full flights (like SEA-SAN last Sunday), we've had pretty good luck not having anyone in 17B.
I wish this happened on transcons. Had a surprising number of Xs show up in 17B or E.
NoLaGent and Eurynom0s like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 9:51 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by williwaw
I wish this happened on transcons. Had a surprising number of Xs show up in 17B or E.
Better than an Ex tho.
be_rettSEA and williwaw like this.
Old Nov 12, 2019, 10:52 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by NoLaGent
Better than an Ex tho.
There’s a country song to be had there.
Old Nov 15, 2019, 8:57 am

For me, there's always the thought that a short flight can turn into a long flight if things go wrong. Sitting on a runway in first makes things a tiny bit less annoying.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 7:26 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I like to get at least $1/minute in the air or under for costs. I also weigh bonus miles vs. chance of upgrade and how much it's going to help me with requalification.
PaperGlider likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2019, 9:46 am

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by PDXPremier
I think the cost difference between main cabin and F on these intra-California E175 flights has gotten low enough that these flights are no longer the "slam dung" elite upgrades that they were in the past....
Old Dec 18, 2019, 9:03 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 7K, MARRIOTT PLAT PREMIER WITH AMBASSADOR
Originally Posted by twitch76
Soon to be MVPG here. I’ve got a quick work trip coming up (SAN-FAT) in a couple of weeks. Main fare is $114, F is $149. Pretty certain I’ll get U, as the First cabin rarely flies full on these flights. I could pay the extra $35 out of pocket for the COS bonus miles, but I’m not sure it’s worth it. I will have already attained MVPG by then, so I don’t need the miles for tier qualification.

Thoughts?
Like someone else said it really depends on if you need the miles and how long the flight is. The easy formula I typically use if I am flying alone is 30%. Meaning I figure if the first class ticket is 30% or less more than a standard ticket its probably worth it for me to buy first class and get the 75% status miles bump. For me personally I would also do this if it was a longer flight that had minimal shot at the upgrade even if I didnt need the miles, but I pretty much always need the miles in trying to keep MVP75 because I am typically right on the edge so I stick pretty close to that 30 percent strategy, certainly if its anywhere near 75% more then makes no sense unless you have got cash to burn!
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG (R.I.P 75K), DL, HH Gold
I hover around a max of double the cost for F – almost twice the EQM with some extra comfort thrown in – but that is dependent on where I’m going and what I have to do after landing, earlier vs later in the year (for upgrades), elite level desired for the least amount of hours away from my office, etc. But considering most F/I fares for my flights greatly exceed that calculus, and I own my own business and pay for all my travel, I stay with PE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.