Whats your tipping point to buy into F?

Old Nov 4, 2019, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Whats your tipping point to buy into F?

Soon to be MVPG here. Ive got a quick work trip coming up (SAN-FAT) in a couple of weeks. Main fare is $114, F is $149. Pretty certain Ill get U, as the First cabin rarely flies full on these flights. I could pay the extra $35 out of pocket for the COS bonus miles, but Im not sure its worth it. I will have already attained MVPG by then, so I dont need the miles for tier qualification.

Thoughts?
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by twitch76
Soon to be MVPG here. Ive got a quick work trip coming up (SAN-FAT) in a couple of weeks. Main fare is $114, F is $149. Pretty certain Ill get U, as the First cabin rarely flies full on these flights. I could pay the extra $35 out of pocket for the COS bonus miles, but Im not sure its worth it. I will have already attained MVPG by then, so I dont need the miles for tier qualification.

Thoughts?
Thats a pretty short flight. Since you dont need the miles, Id just book coach. Not a big loss if you dont get the upgrade.
bmvaughn, thegingninj and emag_eh7 like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, 1MM
I have flown 10 round trips on an E-175 this year; duration usually 1.5-2 hours and have always been upgraded to first. If you have observed a fairly empty first cabin, as a MVPG you will most likely get the upgrade. On a short flight like yours I probably would not buy up to first unless you want the bonus.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:09 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by twitch76

Thoughts?
Definitely worth it... for the 75% COS bonus alone. But you should also consider that the flight could sell out, there could be IROPS, any number of reasons you might not be upgraded, so its always better to have a paid F ticket, especially when the premium is so low.

I flew some intra-Alaska flights like ANC-FAI this summer and always bought F because it was never more than $50-$100 over the Y fare. The math works out even better on longer flights, but to me these days, I think, why risk ending up in Y when the price difference for F is so small.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:10 pm

Programs: AS Mileage Plan 100k, Bonvoy Titanium
SAN-FAT I won't buy into F, and as a 75k there is a really good chance I would get bumped up anyway.

For me, anything further than SAN-DAL (may that route RIP) and I start looking on ExpertFlyer at the fare buckets. If F is filling up, especially on SAN-MCO which I do at least monthly, I will call and do a fare upgrade to avoid the disney-bound zoo in the back. The bonus miles are also very much worth it. FLL-LAX is another favorite I will watch, also full of cruise tourists.

Other runs I will chance it with a same-day upgrade. Milk runs between SAN and SEA/PDX are so full of other 75ks that I am content with picking a premium class seat after work has bought the ticket, and if I luck out with an upgrade so be it.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 5:14 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by navydevildoc
If F is filling up, especially on SAN-MCO which I do at least monthly, I will call and do a fare upgrade to avoid the disney-bound zoo in the back. The bonus miles are also very much worth it. FLL-LAX is another favorite I will watch
You hit the nail on the head for me. I want to avoid Y at all costs on leisure routes like this. No offense to anyone intended, but I appreciate the generally quieter environment of F, particularly on the Florida, Mexico, and Hawaii leisure routes.
SF1K likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Under 2 hours I will just buy saver. F is just not worth it on such short routes. The only time I bought premium cabin on that short of a flight was FRA-MAD on LATAM for $105 for 2 hours in international J cabin.
bmvaughn and eponymous_coward like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: I need to do better in managing my affiliations. Oops, I overshot the runway for status next year.
My tipping point to select F is a reliable pdb and lie flat seats.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: CO - Onepass Gold Elite--> UA - MileagePlus Gold Premier--> Silver --> AS - MileagePlan MVPGOLD!
Maybe I'm a sucker, but for basically $30, I'd probably go for it.
The bonus upon bonus miles would make it worth it to me, plus the added relaxation of both flying in first AND KNOWING THAT I'LL BE IN FIRST without waiting for an elite upgrade (which seems to not happen on schedule these days) or the stress of a battlefield upgrade (which seems to be the new normal, a la Continental Airlines circa 2005).
But that's just me. Your $30 might be spent on something more exciting than that, for all I know!
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:00 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
I'm not a lounge member so I factor that in ($25 value). I can easily get 2cpm for AS miles so I calculate the 75% bonus. I also factor in not being a 75K, so I'm willing to spend a little more to guarantee F
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
I'm not a lounge member so I factor that in ($25 value). I can easily get 2cpm for AS miles so I calculate the 75% bonus. I also factor in not being a 75K, so I'm willing to spend a little more to guarantee F
No lounge on either end of the example city-pair however.

I'd probably go main cabin. Saver is only if I *will not* be changing- rare for me not to change some component of travel.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 10:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by beckoa
No lounge on either end of the example city-pair however.

I'd probably go main cabin. Saver is only if I *will not* be changing- rare for me not to change some component of travel.
Correct, so that might push me towards buying main cabin. Its a general formula that use on all routes.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:00 pm

Programs: DL PM, New Sagaya
Im self employed in a state with income tax so the tipping point is lower. $30 upfare vs pay the taxes on that $30....
jimmygottfredson and Spanish like this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
I sort of got addicted to the Delta “value proposition” paradigm of $1/minute, which comes out to ~$250 eastbound (generally redeye) and ~$300 westbound for TCONs and ~$120 for West Coast flights ... coach is reimbursable for about 75% of my SEA-WAS/LAX travel, and there’s no pushback if I score a GGU at booking (email receipt that says “U (First)” explicitly states “Complimentary or Mileage Upgrade”)
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 2:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Southwest A-List; Alaska MVPG; Hilton Diamond; Avis PreferredPlus; Marriott Bonvoy Platinum Elite
Thank you, all. These are exactly the sorts of responses I was hoping for. I realize that our cost/benefit analysis is all going to be different, but youve all presented useful thoughts.

What would the actual earning difference be for a 313 mile flight for an MVPG, G vs F/I?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.