Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

What’s your tipping point to buy into F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What’s your tipping point to buy into F?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS 100k, DL PM, New Sagaya
Originally Posted by twitch76
Thank you, all. These are exactly the sorts of responses I was hoping for. I realize that our cost/benefit analysis is all going to be different, but you’ve all presented useful thoughts.

What would the actual earning difference be for a 313 mile flight for an MVPG, G vs F/I?
G - 331 miles = 500 segment min
I/P/F - 331 miles = 500 min plus 75% bonus of 375 for total of 875.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by williwaw
The big difference is on those long flights. I just booked SEA-DCA in F. That will give me 8,152 eqm as opposed to 4,658 if I booked main cabin.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 3:53 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
The big difference is on those long flights. I just booked SEA-DCA in F. That will give me 8,152 eqm as opposed to 4,658 if I booked main cabin.
For a return itinerary, yes! What is the price differential to fly F? How much is the additional EQM costing on a cpm basis?

James
Old Nov 5, 2019, 4:55 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan MVP Gold, Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by twitch76
Soon to be MVPG here. I’ve got a quick work trip coming up (SAN-FAT) in a couple of weeks. Main fare is $114, F is $149. Pretty certain I’ll get U, as the First cabin rarely flies full on these flights. I could pay the extra $35 out of pocket for the COS bonus miles, but I’m not sure it’s worth it. I will have already attained MVPG by then, so I don’t need the miles for tier qualification.

Thoughts?
Wife and I are MVP and we got upgraded for our round trip flights SAN - FAT. I’d just wait to hopefully get the upgrade.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 8:37 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
For a return itinerary, yes! What is the price differential to fly F? How much is the additional EQM costing on a cpm basis?

James
Well its not cheap, about $1,200. I was not doing it as a mileage run, I was doing it because I need to go to DC. For that same $1,200 I could probably make two trips in coach and end up with more miles....except it would be in coach and I don't need to go to DC twice.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:06 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
For me, EQM is usually the primary motivation when deciding to up-spend into F. The extra RDM certainly factors into it as well, but EQM is more important to me in the short term.
If F provides a much better mile-to-dollar ratio - I'll pull the trigger.

I've found some good deals on E75 flights like SEA-SLC or PAE-LAS where the cost increase is negligible but the extra miles are worth it.

In your case, since you don't need the EQM, I'd just roll the dice with the upgrader and spend the $30 on a fancy drink (a nice pour of bourbon would be my choice) at the destination. Or whatever floats your boat
jsguyrus likes this.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:12 pm

class of service bonus is not also subject to the 500 mile minimum?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
I sort of got addicted to the Delta “value proposition” paradigm of $1/minute, which comes out to ~$250 eastbound (generally redeye) and ~$300 westbound for TCONs and ~$120 for West Coast flights
Work won't pay for F tickets (even if they're cheaper than Y), but buyups are allowed. My threshold on UA was always $50-60/hr for something like LAX-IAD, and I wouldn't bother for a shorter flight.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Originally Posted by writetorich
class of service bonus is not also subject to the 500 mile minimum?
It is. 375 is 75% of 500.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 10:21 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I'm usually willing to pay ~$5/hr to get into E+, ~$20/hr to get into domestic F, ~$40/hr to get into lie flat J, and ~$60/hr to get into international lie flat F.

Unsurprisingly, I fly a lot of coach domestically... For mileage redemptions, I almost always end up in J/F, even with my relatively high value per AS mile of $0.02.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 1:51 pm

For Alaska Airlines F class? Almost never - only once did I find Hawaii flight about $50 more and that was fine, and I think once to NYC it was a small $50 upcharge? When Virgin had the recliners I paid a minor upcharge in miles sure.

But in general, as an MVP you can almost always get exit row or preferred rows, which is more than enough.

Alaska F is simply .... not worth it.
TheDudeAbides likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 12:03 am

Originally Posted by nomiiiii
But in general, as an MVP you can almost always get exit row or preferred rows, which is more than enough.
I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually prefer the Premium coach window seat with an empty middle over their First class. I can easily recline and almost lay down sleep more soundly than their F seats, but only when I have an empty middle.
chrisl137 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:46 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Visconti
I'm probably in the minority here, but I actually prefer the Premium coach window seat with an empty middle over their First class. I can easily recline and almost lay down sleep more soundly than their F seats, but only when I have an empty middle.
In economy/premium you can actually lean against the wall (I'm fond of sticking a neck pillow and sticking my face into the neck opening). In first the seats get you a little too far from the wall to be able to lean against the wall comfortably.

But personally this comes from years of getting on the bus to school and immediately going back to sleep...I even require being on the right side of the plane for this to feel comfortable, since my seat on the bus was always on the right side of the bus.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by rcarovano
Wife and I are MVP and we got upgraded for our round trip flights SAN - FAT. I’d just wait to hopefully get the upgrade.
I think the cost difference between main cabin and F on these intra-California E175 flights has gotten low enough that these flights are no longer the "slam dung" elite upgrades that they were in the past....for example, we flew SAN-MRY yesterday and most of F was already sold before the elite upgrade windows even opened...there was no chance of clearing and I suspect there were MVPGs in the back as well.
Old Nov 11, 2019, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
...what empty middle?

Things have gotten quite full.

And yes, F is pricing out often at a much more reasonable level. So its making it more difficult to secure an upgrade.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.