Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SF Bay to DC IAD vs DCA?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2019, 11:45 am

Programs: AS MVPG75k
Originally Posted by jrl767
a lot depends on when you’re booking ... in my case (SEA/LAX<—>WAS, anywhere from 7-45 days out; ~75% reimbursable; splitting loyalty between AS and DL) the cost and time of to-ing and fro-ing are basically irrelevant

someone upthread said AS having 2x daily IAD<—>SFO/LAX/SEA was good for SDC ... in paid F, DL has a dozen or more options
Delta does not fly direct WAS-SFO. I wish they did.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 12:04 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
someone upthread said AS having 2x daily IAD<—>SFO/LAX/SEA was good for SDC ... in paid F, DL has a dozen or more options
I just checked UA and they have 8 flights a day IAD-SFO. If I was DC-based, it would be a hard call to make Alaska my primary carrier as a business traveler if I wanted frequency of flights or ability to SDC to a wide variety of flights, very clearly.

As a leisure traveler, I can make Alaska work as my primary consideration is accruing miles and 11,000 miles at AS, outside of any promos running, trumps 2,000 miles at UA on my typical $300 east coast fare. I'm willing to go through some hoops to accrue miles while others may not be. Add in that AS charges quite a bit less for my typical business class award compared to AA/UA (55K for business to Australia vs 70K at AA and 80K at UA).
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
I realize this is about SFO, but Sunday - FRIDAY commuters see many of the same issues....

My Taller Half (tm) flies sea-was every other week and I can tell you that she rarely flies out of DCA due to cost - 199 o/w to BWI v 350 o/w to DCA. If you fly 26 RT a year not using OPM, it starts to add up fast. BWI is a pretty easy schlep to union station. She clears 75% of her flights (Sunday-Friday) which I think is pretty decent.

So, consider the SFO - BWI flight as an option.

If using OPM, she’ll fly out of DCA as AS is the contract carrier to SEA.

With discounted F available ex- IAD or BWI, upgrades are not a given. The third Tuesday in March may yield a GGU fare from sea-DCA, but like unicorns 🦄 only a few see them.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 4:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by lalala
... With discounted F available ex- IAD or BWI, upgrades are not a given. The third Tuesday in March may yield a GGU fare from sea-DCA, but like unicorns ��� only a few see them.
^ this reiterates a lot of my experience (often recounted in the “upgrade success” and “GGU success” threads) over the past couple years

Last edited by jrl767; Sep 29, 2019 at 5:01 pm
Old Sep 29, 2019, 10:06 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
Originally Posted by tom911
Is $125 extra a bargain? $150? $200? What's your crossover point where you fly Alaska out of BWI or IAD for a savings compared to DCA? It's an easy decision for me as the savings are consistently over $100. Get down to $25-50 and I'd take a look at DCA if the schedule works from there, but $100 and more has me looking elsewhere.

Does the Alaska schedule from DCA work for you? Where do you fly Alaska to? Isn't the SFO service still once a day? Having IAD or BWI, going seasonal soon, certainly offers some other flight options.
To add a few thoughts here— I fly PDX-WAS several times a year and the DCA nonstop is wonderfully scheduled. My business is usually in the District itself, so vastly prefer DCA. But it can get really pricey, particularly on the outbound. I’m talking full Y 2 weeks out. So I will fly into IAD on occasion- BWI only has a very early departure thru SEA and I just can’t take the red eyes.

For the original poster, I agree with the advice to leave luggage at your hotel (or even go by the airport and check it!) then sightsee. Check out the FDR, MLK, and Jefferson memorials or one of the Smithsonian museums. The Freer gallery has a magnificent collection of Asian art and is probably a 7 minute cab ride from National.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Regarding fares - I have been flying SF to Washington for almost 3 decades. In the 90s you could not get people to fly to IAD so the fares were very low, often in the range of $200-300 RT. Eventually IAD became more popular - frequency, tech biz, nonstops (there used to be zero to DCA due to the perimeter restrictions) and the fares started to rise. Then something interesting happened - the fares to DCA started to fall as others saw an opening to compete with UA. And then finally the perimeter restrictions were lifted for a limited # of slots. Which brings us to the present day where both UA and AS fka VX have SFO-DCA nonstops.

Over past 2 years I have found $200-300 OW is now the normal range for transcons. In each case DCA has been the same price as IAD, so this is a no brainer for me. Obviously YMMV and I do this only 1-2x per year and almost always on UA (but I compare to AS)
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
I definitely prefer DCA over IAD, but that's largely due to proximity to DC (sounds like from Crystal City you're in the same boat) and because DCA is one of the quickest experiences in terms of getting through security, etc. There's not PP lounges as you note, but you could have the hotel front desk hold your bags and spend a few hours doing something else rather than sitting in a mediocre lounge at Dulles.

Other factors I'd consider between the two:
  • Price - IAD may be cheaper fare than DCA, but keep in mind your transportation costs to Dulles will be significantly higher (Uber $35-$60 vs a few bucks or a free shuttle). You may want to factor this in to your departing flight as well.
  • Aircraft - not sure which type they're using here, but for transcons, I tend to prefer the pre-merger VX Airbus (look for 8 first class seats) over the refurbished Airbus, followed by the 737s, at least in terms of Y seat comfort.
  • Upgrade odds - Dulles routes may give you a slight edge up for getting a seat up front, if that matters. Definitely check # of available seats/upgrades, etc, as aircraft type and travel day can make a big difference there.
  • Travel time - DCA is a few mins from downtown DC, and basically in Crystal City. Depending on your travel times, that could cut into your time spent in the lounge or at your destination, sitting in traffic.
something I noticed...

last week i flew IAD-SEA evening departure then sat am return SEA-DCA

the internet costs were very different. in terms of the half hour/hour rates were double. The all day was slightly higher on the SEA-DCA saturday vs the flight out.

If you travel from say downtown DC to the airport by metro...

sometime in 2020 metro is scheduled to open at dulles. right now its to Reston then $5 bus. The metro difference is about $7+ potantially and hr extra travel time based on missing the bus and needing to wauit 15-20 for next one.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:21 am

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
Originally Posted by tom911
Have you found the Alaska fares from DCA competitive to BWI or IAD? I just haven't. They're typically $100RT extra from SFO, if not more, and lowest fare is the sole determinant as to where I book. Give me a good price to DCA that matches or beats other area airports and I'll pay to fly there.

Where do you normally fly to with Alaska from DCA?
from my experience....

early bookings the DCA fare is in the ballpark with IAD/BWI ..sometimes cheaper. This usually means you are booking 10 weeks out. If you are looking at 4-5 weeks then DCA fares are usually $100+ more to SEA

right now i live 2 miles south of DCA, its a 4 min walk, 4 min metro to DCA + wait time for nexxt subway or a 10 min cab ride for $15 or so.

to BWi is a 30 min metro+20 min train + bus
to dulles its 1 hr metro+ wait time+ 15 min bus.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:28 am

not so fast: I was on AS1085 IAD-SEA on Tues 24 Sep which operated with N632VA, a 12F A320; AS1089 IAD-LAX on Mon 23 Sep operated with N642VA, a 12F A320 (having come in as AS1095 SEA-IAD)
I was on the same flight as you...departing 7pm
Old Sep 30, 2019, 10:35 am

Originally Posted by Boraxo

Over past 2 years I have found $200-300 OW is now the normal range for transcons. In each case DCA has been the same price as IAD, so this is a no brainer for me. Obviously YMMV and I do this only 1-2x per year and almost always on UA (but I compare to AS)
Yes a factor was flight restrictions out of DCa before they did flight slots to west coast. You also had more competition with 6+ main carriers that are now 3. now WN operates out of DCA.

the only times I have seen DCA close to IAD have been if you book early or if there is a slow travel day like a saturday. Its rare I see IAD~DCA when you are around the 3-5 week period. sometimes i have seen IAD higher.

when returning from the west coast I prefer red eyes. Only PHX-DCA on AA is the oinly redeye to DCA. SEA and LAX on As fly to BWI and IAD redeye..

i can get PDX/SEA-PHX-DCA on pts for 12.5K+tax
Old Sep 30, 2019, 12:11 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!
Originally Posted by djp98374
from my experience....

early bookings the DCA fare is in the ballpark with IAD/BWI ..sometimes cheaper. This usually means you are booking 10 weeks out. If you are looking at 4-5 weeks then DCA fares are usually $100+ more to SEA

right now i live 2 miles south of DCA, its a 4 min walk, 4 min metro to DCA + wait time for nexxt subway or a 10 min cab ride for $15 or so.

to BWi is a 30 min metro+20 min train + bus
to dulles its 1 hr metro+ wait time+ 15 min bus.
probably need to incorporate the in-airport time as well. while not as bad as flying UA out of C/D, getting to the B terminal still adds time.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by aCavalierInCoach
probably need to incorporate the in-airport time as well. while not as bad as flying UA out of C/D, getting to the B terminal still adds time.
I took a train form the terminal ending at B with no stops in between. dont see the time difference getting to the gate as an issue

I fly United , American, and Southwest too.

the biggest factor for me is price difference. how much more am i willing to pay to add 1+ hr to me getting to/from the airport.

An issue for me flying a redeye back to IAD/BWI is the added time I may have to wait before metro becomes operational. On Sat/Sun morning Metro doesnt operate till I believe 7/ 8 am so i might have to wait 2 hrs before i can even get home.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
for BWI redeye arrivals, the 30- to 40-minute ride to Union Station on the MARC train (0607, 0637, 0652, 0707, 0722, 0734 departures on weekday mornings) is a no-brainer; yes it's a shuttle bus ride from the airport, you have to purchase the ticket before boarding, and the schlep to the far platform isn't entirely easy or convenient with a roller bag if you have to hustle to make the train, but I've done it probably 4-6x/year for the past 4-6 years without any issues
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Boraxo
Regarding fares - I have been flying SF to Washington for almost 3 decades. In the 90s you could not get people to fly to IAD so the fares were very low, often in the range of $200-300 RT. Eventually IAD became more popular - frequency, tech biz, nonstops (there used to be zero to DCA due to the perimeter restrictions) and the fares started to rise. Then something interesting happened - the fares to DCA started to fall as others saw an opening to compete with UA. And then finally the perimeter restrictions were lifted for a limited # of slots. Which brings us to the present day where both UA and AS fka VX have SFO-DCA nonstops.
In the "way back when" time, when I'd actually be visiting DC, I would often connect to fly into DCA over flying nonstop to IAD. (In fact, it would allow me to fly OAK (ORD) DCA, for more convenient airports on both ends, making for a very worthwhile connection.) Although I frequented IAD, it was almost always for a connection.

It is clear that it is all about the time / convenience / cost analysis for each of us. For some, budgetary restraints are more important than time. For others, time is more important. For others, schedule flexibility is more important. For some, the upgrade opportunity is more important. For others, the airport experience is more important.

So like sands through the hourglass, there are no good answers that apply generally to everyone, but there are many good answers that apply to the particulars of pretty much everyone.
tom911, Boraxo, jjmadison and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
... So like sands through the hourglass, there are no good answers that apply generally to everyone, but there are many good answers that apply to the particulars of pretty much everyone.
^ Zenmaster Eastbay1K has indeed spoken (well, typed) wisely

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.