Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA Carrier Imposed Fees Lowered

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:25 pm
Original Poster

BA Carrier Imposed Fees Lowered

So I saw this article about BA lowering carrier imposed fuel surcharge to be only $65 I am not sure if this is only for AA or for all carrier imposed fees. But if it is all carriers; could AS be in the same boat and still charging $175 when it should be lower?

https://thepointsguy.com/news/americ...charge-refund/
Old Jul 31, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
Seems to be only for an economy ticket, if I am not mistaken
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
If you look at the fare breakdown, it also just applies one way from the US to London. Returning from London, it is $121.70 for the surcharge plus the myriad of taxes and other fees. Flights leaving LON have been the bigger problem when it comes to fees.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
If you look at the fare breakdown, it also just applies one way from the US to London. Returning from London, it is $121.70 for the surcharge plus the myriad of taxes and other fees. Flights leaving LON have been the bigger problem when it comes to fees.
But the OP is talking about the carrier surcharge. Is that higher for LON-U.S. than U.S.-LON? There's not much one can do about the LHR PSC, but the U.K. APD only applies when originating in LON, rather than merely connecting there.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:20 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by guv1976
But the OP is talking about the carrier surcharge. Is that higher for LON-U.S. than U.S.-LON? There's not much one can do about the LHR PSC, but the U.K. APD only applies when originating in LON, rather than merely connecting there.
Checking a random date, 2/20/2020 SEA-LHR I see the reduced carrier imposed surchages. SEA-LHR is $65.00 while LHR-SEA is $55.30.

Premium Cabin surcharges are still high. On the SEA-LHR route, surcharges are $65 in Y, $175 in PE & $600 in J.

James
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Checking a random date, 2/20/2020 SEA-LHR I see the reduced carrier imposed surchages. SEA-LHR is $65.00 while LHR-SEA is $55.30.

Premium Cabin surcharges are still high. On the SEA-LHR route, surcharges are $65 in Y, $175 in PE & $600 in J.

James
Not sure why AS is not collecting the $4.50 U.S. PFC on the outbound. "Free" award tickets are exempt from PFCs; those with any amount of carrier surcharges are not.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Try and see what happens when you fly the first segment ex-EU in Y when you book using the AS website, Say like AMS-LHR in Y, LHR-SEA in F. Note that AS will put you in J if you have J availability, you need to be in Y on the short segment, so pick a flight with no J availability ex-EU, only Y.

(whistles innocently)
NoLaGent, ft543 and jinglish like this.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Having just booked BA SEA-LHR-TXL in F/J I can tell you for sure the surcharge is alive and well. Having said that it’s still a bargain.
Old Jul 31, 2019, 10:43 pm

How about AMS-LHR-PHX-SEA August 16th in J, F, F? Total taxes and surcharges $376.83. Surcharges $238.80.

Where is that checkbox to filter out mixed cabin itineraries?

James
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by guv1976
Not sure why AS is not collecting the $4.50 U.S. PFC on the outbound. "Free" award tickets are exempt from PFCs; those with any amount of carrier surcharges are not.
I suspect the carrier imposed surcharge on the return makes the entire ticket "unfree" and thus subjects the outbound flight to the PFC.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:09 am
Original Poster

So it seems they are reducing the rate in the future just not right now. From James post next Feb it shows carrier surcharge is quite a bit lower.

I looked today and to fly out tomorrow its about half price it used to be. This is to fly out on 08/02/2019 one way. This same ticket used to be around $250 if I am not mistaken.
Old Aug 1, 2019, 12:45 pm

Originally Posted by Conflipper
So it seems they are reducing the rate in the future just not right now. From James post next Feb it shows carrier surcharge is quite a bit lower.

I looked today and to fly out tomorrow its about half price it used to be. This is to fly out on 08/02/2019 one way. This same ticket used to be around $250 if I am not mistaken.
I would try to determine when the lower surcharge came into effect. If it was after you booked but before your departure, I would ask AS to refund the difference.

James
Old Aug 1, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How about AMS-LHR-PHX-SEA August 16th in J, F, F? Total taxes and surcharges $376.83. Surcharges $238.80.

Where is that checkbox to filter out mixed cabin itineraries?
You definitely don't want that. Observe.

Given that lounge access is given based on class of service for the longhaul flight, and Club Europe J just has blocked middles, same terrible pitch as Euro Traveller in Y, I'd skip the free meal and blocked middle on a 40 minute flight and pocket the $140, but that's up to you I guess...

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Aug 1, 2019 at 1:21 pm
Old Aug 1, 2019, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
You definitely don't want that. Observe.

Given that lounge access is given based on class of service for the longhaul flight, and Club Europe J just has blocked middles, same terrible pitch as Euro Traveller in Y, I'd skip the free meal and blocked middle on a 40 minute flight and pocket the $140, but that's up to you I guess...

I follow your example, thanks. I was trying to illustrate that the all premium cabin surcharges have also reduced. In this particular example the surcharges are lower than before but given it's close proximity to LHR, a poor example. Choosing Y in this example is a no-brainer, for sure.

If we look at a different market, JNB/CPT-LHR-SEA/YVR, for instance you definitely see a $300+ reduction in total fees & surcharges. I don't think anyone wants to fly JNB/CPT-LHR In Y to save $140.

James
Old Aug 1, 2019, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I follow your example, thanks. I was trying to illustrate that the all premium cabin surcharges have also reduced. In this particular example the surcharges are lower than before but given it's close proximity to LHR, a poor example. Choosing Y in this example is a no-brainer, for sure.

If we look at a different market, JNB/CPT-LHR-SEA/YVR, for instance you definitely see a $300+ reduction in total fees & surcharges. I don't think anyone wants to fly JNB/CPT-LHR In Y to save $140.

James
But if you’re doing JNB, you’d want CX F not BA “second best business class in the world”...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.