Wiki Posts
Search

MVP bonus miles on AA flights?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2019, 4:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
MVP bonus miles on AA flights?

I have MVP Gold status. If I credit an international AA operated and marketed light to my AS acct, do I earn the 100% MVPG elite bonus on top of the base level and class of service miles? For example, if flying LAX-LHR on AA in I class and assuming it’s 5500 miles, I’d earn 5500 base miles plus 2750 class of service miles. How many more miles would I earn due to my MVP status? 5500 more or 8250 more?
Old Aug 19, 2019, 5:46 am

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Programs: Only the good ones
Originally Posted by SFO_FT
I have MVP Gold status. If I credit an international AA operated and marketed light to my AS acct, do I earn the 100% MVPG elite bonus on top of the base level and class of service miles? For example, if flying LAX-LHR on AA in I class and assuming it’s 5500 miles, I’d earn 5500 base miles plus 2750 class of service miles. How many more miles would I earn due to my MVP status? 5500 more or 8250 more?

So, it's EQM's=BIS times (Fare class percentage+COS bonus) and RDM's=BIS's times (1+Additional bonus+elite level bonus.) MVPG is 100% so you would receive 13,750 RDM's.

Last edited by rbAA; Aug 19, 2019 at 6:09 pm
Old Aug 19, 2019, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rbAA
So, it's EQM's=BIS times (Fare class percentage+COS bonus) and RDM's=EQM's times (1+Additional bonus+elite level bonus.) MVPG is 100% so you would receive 16,500 RDM's.
Isn’t the redeemable award miles earned for this AA flight:
5500 base miles
2750 class of service bonus (50% of base)
5500 MVPG (100% of base miles)
= 13,750 award miles

be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K;BA Silver;AA G;HH Dia;HY Glob
From as.com:
MVPGold Benefits:
Bonus miles

Receive a 100% bonus on base miles earned with Alaska Airlines and our elite-qualifying airline partners.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 6:06 pm

Location: Bangkok, Thailand. No longer Palm Coast, FL though still exiled, again, from the Bay Area.
Isn’t the redeemable award miles earned for this AA flight:17191
5500 base miles
2750 class of service bonus (50% of base)
5500 MVPG (100% of base miles)
= 13,750 award miles
My PEK-LAX on AA in I fare is:
BIS: 6251
EQM's: 9377 (BIS times 1.5)
RDM's: 17191 as a 75K 275% of BIS.

So, RDM's = BIS times (1+COS bonus+ elite bonus.)

Sorry for the confusion.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerry a. laska
From as.com:
MVPGold Benefits:
This, from the AS website, is what throws me:

Elite benefits changes

For travel on or after January 1, 2018, Mileage Plan elite level members will no longer receive elite partner benefits when traveling on American Airlines.

Recognize now that elite mileage bonus is indeed still provided. Wish they’d rewrite that sentence.
Old Aug 19, 2019, 8:55 pm

This, from the AS website, is what throws me:Elite benefits changes

For travel on or after January 1, 2018, Mileage Plan elite level members will no longer receive elite partner benefits when traveling on American Airlines.

Recognize now that elite mileage bonus is indeed still provided. Wish they’d rewrite that sentence.
As an AS MVPG75k and AA EXP, I can tell you AS status gets you nada on AA. Only AA international flights earn AS EQM's and RDM's, and AA seems to want to make that as difficult as possible. Most of my AA flights involve both international and domestic segments and AA doesn't seem to want to do a segment by segment FFP number entry. Still waiting 6 weeks later for some corrections on AA HKG-LAX-HKG segments that should have gone into AS.
Old Aug 20, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
As an AS MVPG75k and AA EXP, I can tell you AS status gets you nada on AA. Only AA international flights earn AS EQM's and RDM's, and AA seems to want to make that as difficult as possible. Most of my AA flights involve both international and domestic segments and AA doesn't seem to want to do a segment by segment FFP number entry. Still waiting 6 weeks later for some corrections on AA HKG-LAX-HKG segments that should have gone into AS.
Are you trying to get AA benefits with an AA FF# & then credit to AS after the flight? I have had no issuee calling AA and asking them to cancel credit on segments that can be credited to AS. If you add your AS FF# to an itinerary the AA FF# will still be in the reservation too. A GA, check-in agent, Agengt in the AC can remove the AA number. I have flown a lot of AA international this year and haven't had issues. One was international to international with a domestic hop. It took one call to AA to cancel a credit that should have gone to AS. Took a few days to sort it out; certainly not six weeks. Domestic credited to AA, international to AS.

The AA agent of 32 years had no idea that international flights still credit to AS. She called me back to thank me for the lesson.

James
Old Aug 23, 2019, 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Are you trying to get AA benefits with an AA FF# & then credit to AS after the flight? I have had no issuee calling AA and asking them to cancel credit on segments that can be credited to AS. If you add your AS FF# to an itinerary the AA FF# will still be in the reservation too. A GA, check-in agent, Agengt in the AC can remove the AA number. I have flown a lot of AA international this year and haven't had issues. One was international to international with a domestic hop. It took one call to AA to cancel a credit that should have gone to AS. Took a few days to sort it out; certainly not six weeks. Domestic credited to AA, international to AS.

The AA agent of 32 years had no idea that international flights still credit to AS. She called me back to thank me for the lesson.

James
Well, that's not quite similar to my situation where I asked AA to enter my AS number on only the international segments. I called AA CS and they deleted the segments from my AA acct, and then AA reported to AS that I couldn't be found on the flight, even though I sent in my BP's and eticket 6 weeks ago. Technically, AA's T&C's are onerous and seems that if you get some benefits from the AA FFP, you're not allowed to change FFP's. I've had an EXP agent tell me she's going to put me back in coach and return my SWU if I change my number to AS. Passed as the AS miles are not worth flying in coach, especially on AA.
Old Aug 24, 2019, 1:26 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Well, that's not quite similar to my situation where I asked AA to enter my AS number on only the international segments. I called AA CS and they deleted the segments from my AA acct, and then AA reported to AS that I couldn't be found on the flight, even though I sent in my BP's and eticket 6 weeks ago. Technically, AA's T&C's are onerous and seems that if you get some benefits from the AA FFP, you're not allowed to change FFP's. I've had an EXP agent tell me she's going to put me back in coach and return my SWU if I change my number to AS. Passed as the AS miles are not worth flying in coach, especially on AA.
The AS MP accural would be on the underlying economy fare class if the class flown was an upgrade. You may not have earned as much as you thought anyway. On an AS codeshare AA operated flight, I changed to my AA FF number for a bag fee waiver and then changed it back. It was the first segment of a two flight mixed airline itinerary. Still slightly different than your scenario but I didn't have any issues. I was also able to select MCE seats.

James
Old Aug 24, 2019, 5:56 am

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
The AS MP accural would be on the underlying economy fare class if the class flown was an upgrade. You may not have earned as much as you thought anyway. On an AS codeshare AA operated flight, I changed to my AA FF number for a bag fee waiver and then changed it back. It was the first segment of a two flight mixed airline itinerary. Still slightly different than your scenario but I didn't have any issues. I was also able to select MCE seats.

James
I've had one HKG-LAX-HKG trip on AA at 50% and another at 25%, so it's not the issue of not earning what I expected, as I definitely didn't expect 100% on those flight. QF seems to always give at least 100%, as my SIN-SYD-LAX RT was one of the lowest fare basis as well as a low price. Also, no hassle in using my AA EXP number for the seat charge waiver and QF FC lounge access (just show the card.) AA is the one that seems to have any issue, as I mentioned.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.