Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Alaska Airlines diverted our flight - anyone know about cash compensation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Newbie here. My family and I were supposed to land at Dulles in DC for July 4th but ended up diverted to Columbus, OH instead for “thunderstorms.” We ended up renting a car and driving over 5 hours in the middle of the night, arrived at my sister’s house in VA after 5 am on July 5th. We were told that because it was an “act of God” we could not get reimbursed for the car rental but Alaska Airlines gave each of us a $250 single use flight voucher instead (there are four of us).

Does anyone know of any options for cash compensation from Alaska Airlines in this circumstance? Any feedback would be great, thanks!
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
You’re lucky you got a voucher and Alaska landed safely. You’re not entitled to anything because of weather.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
No, you're not going to get compensated for a weather diversion that was beyond the airline's control. Honestly a total of $1000 in travel bank credit sounds like a really great deal (I don't think AS' contract of carriage provides for any compensation for weather diversions, so this was an agent trying to do something nice for you) and likely is far more than what you paid for a one-way rental car. Sounds like you made out pretty well.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by sutrosam
No, you're not going to get compensated for a weather diversion that was beyond the airline's control. Honestly a total of $1000 in travel bank credit sounds like a really great deal (I don't think AS' contract of carriage provides for any compensation for weather diversions, so this was an agent trying to do something nice for you) and likely is far more than what you paid for a one-way rental car. Sounds like you made out pretty well.
OP got one voucher for 4 PAX. At least that’s how I read it.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
OP, why are thunderstorms in “”? Do you think AS lied?
Old Jul 9, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by MonThruThurs
OP got one voucher for 4 PAX. At least that’s how I read it.
OP:

Originally Posted by Patricia722
gave each of us a $250 single use flight voucher instead (there are four of us).
Dunno about you, but that sure sounds like they got four $250 credits each, and per the T&Cs you can apply four travel certificates on one reservation. So, $1000.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by zrs70
OP, why are thunderstorms in “”? Do you think AS lied?
indeed; there were some very significant t-storms in and around the DC area on the 4th
jinglish, Patricia722 and sdsearch like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:09 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Hats off to Alaska for the generous goodwill gesture. You are entitled to nothing.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Thank you

Thanks for the feedback. I don’t feel so badly about missing July 4th with the rest of my extended family now.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Somebody at AS will get counselled if AS ever audits the $1,000 for a weather-related diversion.

Seriously, why on earth should there be any compensation and why should AS pay for a rental car. OP's travel insurance ought to cover the rental.
Emeraldcity and nancypants like this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by Patricia722
Thanks for the feedback. I don’t feel so badly about missing July 4th with the rest of my extended family now.
Was your AS flight cancelled after being diverted to CMH, or was it scheduled to continue on to Washington subsequently (perhaps the next day)?

If AS did not offer to transport you to your ticketed destination -- even after some delay -- I
​​​should think that you would be entitled to some cash compensation/partial refund of fare paid -- but you might have to sue (or get the media involved) to obtain it.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 7:58 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

Originally Posted by sutrosam
Honestly a total of $1000 in travel bank credit sounds like a really great deal (I don't think AS' contract of carriage provides for any compensation for weather diversions, so this was an agent trying to do something nice for you) and likely is far more than what you paid for a one-way rental car. Sounds like you made out pretty well.
Not just "sounds like," that is a really great deal. I had a weather diversion in the Spring and I was given a $100 voucher. That seemed reasonable to me.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 0.9MM, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Hertz PC, SBux Gold, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by Often1
Seriously, why on earth should there be any compensation and why should AS pay for a rental car. OP's travel insurance ought to cover the rental.
Because AS never transported OP's family all the way to IAD?

FWIW - with this situation, OP's family could have invoke trip-in-vein and asked to transport back to the origin and got a full refund. Given the circumstance, $250 each in lieu of a refund sounds fair.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
What were they offering in terms of IRROPS recovery? They have an obligation to continue you on to your final destination. Did they continue the flight later on? Send a replacement crew? Rebook you guys on other flights out of CMH?
trooper likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2019, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

They deplaned us in Columbus because of union regulations that state the flight crew could not work more than a 13 hour shift. When we landed in Columbus, they had already worked 12 hours, we waited on the tarmac for another hour, then they deplaned us because they could not receive clearance to return to Dulles and their shift had ended. Even if they received clearance to return, there was no one to fly the plane.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.