Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dogs in Row 6

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2019, 12:10 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
While some people clearly have experiences flying next to agitated or annoying dogs - I personally would pay extra if I could be guaranteed a well-behaved (and well groomed so less shedding!) dog as a seat mate
CalanMan, flatdawgs and be_rettSEA like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
That might be your expectation, but in reality, bumping the passenger and their service/support animal could potentially constitute discrimination per the Air Carrier Access Act. Rather than facing a PR firestorm or potential lawsuit, they're more likely to bump/re-accommodate the passenger that isn't comfortable traveling beside the animal. Of course, they'd more than likely do whatever they could to not bump either (swap to empty seats, see if other passengers are willing to switch, etc), but at the end of the day, the ACAA rules are going to win vs someone's personal preferences/expectations. If the animal is causing a direct threat to passenger safety or is causing a significant disruption (lunging, biting, uncontrollable), they may deny travel, but occupying foot space doesn't apply.
There is no way this was a service animal. Service animals are well-trained and well-behaved. This was most likely a fake emotional support animal with a bad owner. There is no legal requirement that they be allowed on planes.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by nearlysober
While some people clearly have experiences flying next to agitated or annoying dogs - I personally would pay extra if I could be guaranteed a well-behaved (and well groomed so less shedding!) dog as a seat mate
That I can definitely agree with - but, this was definitely NOT a dog as you mention. There were times this dog tried jumping up on the middle seat passenger and probably spent only about ten minutes in a lying-down position on the floor, in 2 1/2 hours. As I said, the owner lucked out with very generous seatmates. I'm just finding it surprising that a dog of that size (or for that matter any animal) has priority over someone who might not be comfortable seated with it. This was a completely full flight and had those seatmates not been so kind, and there might be nobody to switch seats, they can be removed from the flight. This has been an interesting conversation to say the least and I've learned quite a lot.
flatdawgs likes this.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:36 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
There is no way this was a service animal. Service animals are well-trained and well-behaved. This was most likely a fake emotional support animal with a bad owner. There is no legal requirement that they be allowed on planes.
The ACAA currently applies to both trained service animals as well as emotional support animals, both of which are (currently) allowed by law on planes. While some folks may be finding ways to get their pets onto planes without a true need for an emotional support animal, so long as they meet the legal requirements and airline policies (primarily documentation from a mental health professional, and often sign-off from a vet), they are absolutely permitted on planes unless they are causing a safety issue or major disruption.

Without being the mental health professional treating that passenger, there's no way to know for sure what the basis of their needs might be to bring their animal on board the plane. Certainly it would be nice if everyone who did so (whether or not they truly have a need to) ensured their animals were well behaved, and not impacting other passengers, but it'd be nice if kids didn't scream/cry during flights or kick other passengers' seats, people didn't put their bare feet all over the place, or grab the backs of everyone's seats as they walked down the aisle, too. At the end of the day, I just am sick of the narrative that anyone with anyone traveling with an emotional support animal is just faking it, or that they should have to travel by other means because some find it annoying.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:42 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
At the end of the day, I just am sick of the narrative that anyone with anyone traveling with an emotional support animal is just faking it, or that they should have to travel by other means because some find it annoying.
I think a lot of people are doubtful because it does seem like we recently had a spike in people really pushing the limit on emotional support animals - like the woman who tried to bring on a peacock on a plane last year. Also I seem to recall in the last year a lot of news stories on how there's no regulation or governing body over support animals after a few "support" dogs went nuts.

However, I give people the benefit of the doubt... and its pretty obvious when a dog has been properly trained to be a support animal.
Old May 14, 2019, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

The ACAA currently applies to both trained service animals as well as emotional support animals, both of which are (currently) allowed by law on planes. While some folks may be finding ways to get their pets onto planes without a true need for an emotional support animal, so long as they meet the legal requirements and airline policies (primarily documentation from a mental health professional, and often sign-off from a vet), they are absolutely permitted on planes unless they are causing a safety issue or major disruption.

Without being the mental health professional treating that passenger, there's no way to know for sure what the basis of their needs might be to bring their animal on board the plane. Certainly it would be nice if everyone who did so (whether or not they truly have a need to) ensured their animals were well behaved, and not impacting other passengers, but it'd be nice if kids didn't scream/cry during flights or kick other passengers' seats, people didn't put their bare feet all over the place, or grab the backs of everyone's seats as they walked down the aisle, too. At the end of the day, I just am sick of the narrative that anyone with anyone traveling with an emotional support animal is just faking it, or that they should have to travel by other means because some find it annoying.
I've spent many an international flight with a passenger behind kicking my seat all the way, pushing the interactive screen I'm resting on like a punching bag, in front of me reclining their seat as absolutely far as it can go (having the FAs requesting them to bring it up so I just can barely eat), feet up on the bulkhead (or in one case through the seat onto my armrest), hanging on the back of my seat while they talk to their friend or family across the aisle, stinky feet with shoes off because the flight is 14 hours, list goes on and on. I get that. But what I did not know, and learned here, are the rules regarding animals on planes. This particular animal was just not happy. If I were sitting there, I likely would have asked to be reseated. I want to use my iPad, I want my foot space (I'm very tall), and I was dressed for dinner out and would not have time to change. I realize, sadly, that many on planes can barely manage to wear something fit for the public, but that's another story. And moving seats is not a comfortable conversation to have. Nobody wants to be that guy that delays a flight. But that's my choice. What got my attention and led to this post was that this animal was not only in its owner's space, it was in the next seat, and the next seat, and the aisle, and would have jumped out the window if it could, and I thought that seemed a bit unusual. There have been many comments here that have helped me make the future decisions I will regarding seating and I appreciate that. Looks like the debate on animals vs. no animals in the airplane has been a long-standing one and will likely continue, but just like I've learned over the years which seats to pick when I fly internationally, the same applies here.

I was on a flight recently (about two hours' duration) where the door was closed, we were taxiing back, and suddenly someone jumped up, came up front, and HAD TO leave the plane, in a panic attack. Better then than at 30,000 feet. So I understand anxiety with flying. That flight was already late, and took another 45 minutes to process the paperwork to taxi again. But better to figure it out then than up in the air. I try not to think about what could go wrong up there. But I like to fly and do it regularly. Many people might take four flights in their entire lifetime. If they need a comfort animal to do that, I just believe that perhaps the airlines need to be specific about those seats (as row 6 contains) that have the possibility of a scenario as the one I saw. As I said earlier, I was ignorant about what the accessible seating meant - I simply thought they were seats for folks who needed wheelchair assistance or perhaps simply couldn't travel the length of the plane. My mistake. Which is why I'm so very pleased to have these forums to straighten things out for me, as I don't intend to stop flying anytime soon.
Old May 14, 2019, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

How does having a nervous dog in their care and being surrounded by bunch of passengers irritated by their pet's presence make someone more at ease in an airplane?
Old May 14, 2019, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

From DOT: Your animal must behave properly. An animal that engages in disruptive behavior (ex. barking or snarling, running around, and/or jumping onto other passengers, etc. without being provoked) will not be accepted as a service animal.

this dog should not have been allowed on board.

Thanks for the info re:the ACAA. Interesting that they go above and beyond the ADA in this regard.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
From DOT: Your animal must behave properly. An animal that engages in disruptive behavior (ex. barking or snarling, running around, and/or jumping onto other passengers, etc. without being provoked) will not be accepted as a service animal.

this dog should not have been allowed on board.

Thanks for the info re:the ACAA. Interesting that they go above and beyond the ADA in this regard.
Does an ESA fall within the DOT definition of a "service animal" that you quoted?

Perhaps a certification of obedience training needs to accompany an ESA. If not already a requirement, traveling with an ESA should be disclosed to the Airline prior to arriving at the airport with the animal. The passengers traveling in the same Row as the ESA should be advised before boarding.

Can you imagine if someone tripped over this dog in the isle and injured themself? Who is negligent?

I grew up with small dogs but was also attacked by a large dog when I was six. I still feel uneasy around large dogs 50 years later, especially if they are skittish. I wouldn't have been comfortable sitting in that row. Funny, though, to be politically correct, the passenger requiring an emotional support animal will be accommodated before someone who has a real heightened anxiety because of it.

James
inthchips, jjmadison and Tizzette like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
Does an ESA fall within the DOT definition of a "service animal" that you quoted?
Yes, they specifically include emotional support animals as well as service animals as was pointed out upthread (I did not know that). Here's the link: https://www.transportation.gov/indiv...upport-animals

It's interesting to note that the ADA only includes service animals -- I have been to places that are very aggressive about enforcing this and have a poster from the government about ADA regulations up, and specifically say that no emotional support animals are allowed. To me this seems reasonable -- I see service animals all the time and they are always incredibly well behaved when they are "working". Personally, I love dogs and I love being around them, but I have no patience for owners who don't bother to train their pets when they take them out in public.
jjmadison and Flying for Fun like this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; May 14, 2019 at 3:23 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 3:11 pm
Moderator: Alaska Mileage Plan

I've had three flights on which I've been seated next to passenger with a service animal, once in Y (row 6) and twice in F. On all three flights, both the dog and passenger were respectful of my space and well-behaved.

On one of the F flights, the owner got up to use to lav. She pointed the dog to her seat and the dog jumped into it. The dog proceeded to look out the window until the owner returned. I'm not a dog person, but that definitely made me smile.
CalanMan, flatdawgs and be_rettSEA like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

Perhaps a certification of obedience training needs to accompany an ESA. If not already a requirement, traveling with an ESA should be disclosed to the Airline prior to arriving at the airport with the animal. The passengers traveling in the same Row as the ESA should be advised before boarding.

Can you imagine if someone tripped over this dog in the isle and injured themself? Who is negligent?

I grew up with small dogs but was also attacked by a large dog when I was six. I still feel uneasy around large dogs 50 years later, especially if they are skittish. I wouldn't have been comfortable sitting in that row. Funny, though, to be politically correct, the passenger requiring an emotional support animal will be accommodated before someone who has a real heightened anxiety because of it.

James
From what I'm reading, some of these "certificates" can be had for $49.99 online (or some such nonsense). The airline must know the passenger is traveling with the animal, and I like your idea that the adjacent passengers should be notified. More stuff to deal with that they probably don't want to deal with, however.

And having worked for attorneys all my life, I'm also wondering about the risk factor taking a full size dog on a plane when it isn't controlled. The owner was holding onto that leash for dear life often and a strong dog could have simply broken loose. This one looked like it could have a few times. With all the issue about nothing flying around the cabin at take off and landing, keeping people in their seats, everything in its place, I just still am amazed a large animal with nothing but a leash is not a problem for the airline.

Quite an interesting thread, this one.
Old May 14, 2019, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
That might be your expectation, but in reality, bumping the passenger and their service/support animal could potentially constitute discrimination per the Air Carrier Access Act. Rather than facing a PR firestorm or potential lawsuit, they're more likely to bump/re-accommodate the passenger that isn't comfortable traveling beside the animal.
To be clear, I am not uncomfortable traveling besides the animal as long as the animal doesn't occupy the space I paid for and need for my lower extremity. I generally like well-behaved dogs and have no allergies that would cause me trouble, and I have occupied seats next to passengers who had cats or small dogs in carriers in the space under the seat in front of them. I just don't think it is reasonable to expect me to give up my space to accommodate a large dog. Or allow that dog to jump into my lap. Or knock over my drink.

If the animal is causing a direct threat to passenger safety or is causing a significant disruption (lunging, biting, uncontrollable), they may deny travel, but occupying foot space doesn't apply.
If the emotional support or service animal is so large that it doesn't fit into the space of the accompanying traveler, then the airline should be made aware of that ahead of time and sufficient space (two seats? a row?) should be reserved to accommodate the passenger and the animal. It shouldn't be left to the FAs and GAs to throw me off the plane at the last minute because I would like to actually use the seat space I paid for. Re-accommodations on the next flight are really not a good option on many of my trips. I see this similar to POS passengers - they generally know ahead of time that they will need two seats and can book them. As for cost - I am likely paying more every day I eat at a restaurant that is required to to accommodate customers under the ADA, and I am absolutely fine with it. I would be fine with a slightly higher ticket price if it enables everyone to travel (we just need to find a way to weed out the fake support/service animals).
inthchips and lensovet like this.

Last edited by notquiteaff; May 14, 2019 at 5:01 pm
Old May 14, 2019, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If the animal is causing a direct threat to passenger safety or is causing a significant disruption (lunging, biting, uncontrollable), they may deny travel, but occupying foot space doesn't apply.
Of course it does. You can't occupy someone else's space -- that is not a reasonable accommodation. If someone needs two seats then they need to pay for two seats. It's no different than a "passenger of size".
inthchips and lensovet like this.
Old May 14, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
I was in a similar situation once, up in F, where a large dog stuck out into the aisle and impeded the service cart. I looked up Alaska's policy when I returned home, and found this clearly stated:
"
  • Trained service animals or emotional support animals travel for free. The size of the animal must not exceed the footprint or personal space of the guest's seat or foot area during the entire flight.
  • Service animals or emotional support animals must be under the control of the owner at all times in the airport and onboard the aircraft. Due to safety concerns, emotional support animals must be leashed, or in an approved carrier that fits under the seat.
  • Service animals or emotional support animals are expected to be seated on the floor space below a guest's seat or, if no larger than an infant, seated in the guest's lap, if needed to accommodate your disability.
  • Service animals and emotional support animals are expected to behave appropriately in the airport and on the aircraft.
  • Service animals or emotional support animals must not:
  • Occupy a seat or sit on a tray table at any time.
  • Obstruct the aisles or areas that must remain clear for emergency evacuation."
The only reason I find it annoying that these rules are not followed is because my daughter, who is handicapped, always ships her service animal in the cargo hold as it is too large to accommodate according to Alaska's rules. She has had difficulties traveling because of it, but won't defy the rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.