FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dogs in Row 6
Thread: Dogs in Row 6
View Single Post
Old May 14, 2019, 4:49 pm
notquiteaff
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA ExPlat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
That might be your expectation, but in reality, bumping the passenger and their service/support animal could potentially constitute discrimination per the Air Carrier Access Act. Rather than facing a PR firestorm or potential lawsuit, they're more likely to bump/re-accommodate the passenger that isn't comfortable traveling beside the animal.
To be clear, I am not uncomfortable traveling besides the animal as long as the animal doesn't occupy the space I paid for and need for my lower extremity. I generally like well-behaved dogs and have no allergies that would cause me trouble, and I have occupied seats next to passengers who had cats or small dogs in carriers in the space under the seat in front of them. I just don't think it is reasonable to expect me to give up my space to accommodate a large dog. Or allow that dog to jump into my lap. Or knock over my drink.

Originally Posted by be_rettSEA
If the animal is causing a direct threat to passenger safety or is causing a significant disruption (lunging, biting, uncontrollable), they may deny travel, but occupying foot space doesn't apply.
If the emotional support or service animal is so large that it doesn't fit into the space of the accompanying traveler, then the airline should be made aware of that ahead of time and sufficient space (two seats? a row?) should be reserved to accommodate the passenger and the animal. It shouldn't be left to the FAs and GAs to throw me off the plane at the last minute because I would like to actually use the seat space I paid for. Re-accommodations on the next flight are really not a good option on many of my trips. I see this similar to POS passengers - they generally know ahead of time that they will need two seats and can book them. As for cost - I am likely paying more every day I eat at a restaurant that is required to to accommodate customers under the ADA, and I am absolutely fine with it. I would be fine with a slightly higher ticket price if it enables everyone to travel (we just need to find a way to weed out the fake support/service animals).

Last edited by notquiteaff; May 14, 2019 at 5:01 pm