FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Dogs in Row 6
Thread: Dogs in Row 6
View Single Post
Old May 14, 2019, 2:45 pm
Flying for Fun

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
From DOT: Your animal must behave properly. An animal that engages in disruptive behavior (ex. barking or snarling, running around, and/or jumping onto other passengers, etc. without being provoked) will not be accepted as a service animal.

this dog should not have been allowed on board.

Thanks for the info re:the ACAA. Interesting that they go above and beyond the ADA in this regard.
Does an ESA fall within the DOT definition of a "service animal" that you quoted?

Perhaps a certification of obedience training needs to accompany an ESA. If not already a requirement, traveling with an ESA should be disclosed to the Airline prior to arriving at the airport with the animal. The passengers traveling in the same Row as the ESA should be advised before boarding.

Can you imagine if someone tripped over this dog in the isle and injured themself? Who is negligent?

I grew up with small dogs but was also attacked by a large dog when I was six. I still feel uneasy around large dogs 50 years later, especially if they are skittish. I wouldn't have been comfortable sitting in that row. Funny, though, to be politically correct, the passenger requiring an emotional support animal will be accommodated before someone who has a real heightened anxiety because of it.

James