Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Stolen or Lost Bags at John Wayne/OC airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Stolen or Lost Bags at John Wayne/OC airport

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2019, 8:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmodemd
In China, some places they are pretty good at checking tags on every person leaving with fencing around the baggage area.
Yes and no--I've seen the bag matching over there, yet they didn't check mine at all. I've noticed the rules over there are often not enforced on foreigners, or enforced differently. (Airport security--something puzzling on the x-ray. They ask me about it rather than go looking. SIL {Chinese} is there also, they question something in her bag and simply go looking for it. It's actually good they asked me, I immediately figured out the object was a box of batteries packed in the bottom of my camera bag that was inside the bag they were looking at. Unless they got lucky they would have ended up unpacking the whole thing trying to find them.)
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: Alaska MM, AA MM, BA Silver, Bonvoy Lifetime Gold
I agree with bringing secure bag matching back. If airlines are going to charge to check a bag, then they should make sure they are secure, especially if you are delayed in getting to the carousel or God forbid, your bags are misrouted and end up on a carousel in an airport you are not even at.
Old Jun 4, 2019, 2:05 pm
Original Poster

Agreed! It would take the thefts and “accidental taken bags” out of the equation since now thieves target airport baggage claims and with so many ppl around you never know who is legit or who a random person is. I rarely even know who is on our flights when I travel. We were at carousel within 2 mins and still stolen.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 5:21 am

Why not just put baggage claim behind security? At least that would reduce the theft problem significantly.
Old Jun 6, 2019, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mpurvis
Why not just put baggage claim behind security?
Because there are things that you can check in your bags that you can't have airside.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 11:57 am

Does anybody else remember the pile of "lost" bags, thousands high in LHR when they opened Terminal 5? I heard most of those were never found by the owners.
Old Jun 7, 2019, 12:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Because there are things that you can check in your bags that you can't have airside.
I think they meant why not have baggage claim in a secured area that you’d have to have boarding passes to access like the we do when we get to airport. I think anyway. Theft seems to be an issue at airports but apparently not enough to make baggage claims secured areas. This situation has never happened to me and now reading more articles I can see it’s an issue but it’s sporadic.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 11:11 am

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
Originally Posted by Ponchsab
.... Someone mentioned ppl wouldn’t steal kids clothes, they steal bags regardless. Doesn’t matter if it was kids clothes or a bunch of dirty underwear ppl steal for any reason hoping they hit the jackpot.
Occasionally I see homeless people at PDX jump right off the light rail and saunter on into baggage claim, which is literally about 50 yards from the light rail station. I've wondered why they come up there (maybe to use the bathrooms? gives them something to do?), but this thread made me realize there are also other possible incentives for them.... free bags to tote their items around town! When I was a kid in the 1980s, we never made it out of HOU or IAH baggage claim without our matching tags. The airport employed attendants to check everyone's tags, and there were railings around the baggage area.

I rarely check bags lately - probably haven't used baggage claim at PDX in a year - but I have to check bags tomorrow (given the amount of items I'm toting) on my way from IAH to PDX (via SEA). Hopefully they get there (free $25 voucher for bags delivered in 25 minutes would be great too).
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
Occasionally I see homeless people at PDX jump right off the light rail and saunter on into baggage claim, which is literally about 50 yards from the light rail station. I've wondered why they come up there (maybe to use the bathrooms? gives them something to do?), but this thread made me realize there are also other possible incentives for them.... free bags to tote their items around town! When I was a kid in the 1980s, we never made it out of HOU or IAH baggage claim without our matching tags. The airport employed attendants to check everyone's tags, and there were railings around the baggage area.

I rarely check bags lately - probably haven't used baggage claim at PDX in a year - but I have to check bags tomorrow (given the amount of items I'm toting) on my way from IAH to PDX (via SEA). Hopefully they get there (free $25 voucher for bags delivered in 25 minutes would be great too).
I almost always check bags and haven't seen this (at least in the last few years) at PDX. I did see a nice stream of homeless folks, some asking for money, flowing in and out of the Newark baggage claim area a few months ago.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:27 pm
Original Poster

Pdx has a big problem with theft as I found out through all of this. That is where we flew out from but not John Wayne it’s pretty rare. They did have one around May 9 and the guy was in and out in about 2 mins. My situation is different with someone taking straight from chute and right when it started. PDX has the max train and it is an issue although I haven’t had an issue there. Easier to see your bags at Pdx as belt is one level not coming down a hill like John Wayne. Sad we have to be on lookout for theft of bags now.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
When airports such as LGA have tried implementing bag tag matching, complaints go through the roof. The biggest complaint is time.

It is likely easier & cheaper to pay the miniscule number of claims for bags stolen off the carousel than it is to build barricades and pay people to check tags.
be_rettSEA and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
Occasionally I see homeless people at PDX jump right off the light rail and saunter on into baggage claim, which is literally about 50 yards from the light rail station. I've wondered why they come up there (maybe to use the bathrooms? gives them something to do?),
The Port of Portland had a big problem with homeless people stealing the recycling. If you look at the trash cans and recycling cans in the non-secure areas of the airport, you’ll see stickers that say “recyclables are property of the Port of Portland” or something like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.