FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Stolen or Lost Bags at John Wayne/OC airport
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:23 pm
RAD_PDX

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by MJMLBBtoCPH
Occasionally I see homeless people at PDX jump right off the light rail and saunter on into baggage claim, which is literally about 50 yards from the light rail station. I've wondered why they come up there (maybe to use the bathrooms? gives them something to do?), but this thread made me realize there are also other possible incentives for them.... free bags to tote their items around town! When I was a kid in the 1980s, we never made it out of HOU or IAH baggage claim without our matching tags. The airport employed attendants to check everyone's tags, and there were railings around the baggage area.

I rarely check bags lately - probably haven't used baggage claim at PDX in a year - but I have to check bags tomorrow (given the amount of items I'm toting) on my way from IAH to PDX (via SEA). Hopefully they get there (free $25 voucher for bags delivered in 25 minutes would be great too).
I almost always check bags and haven't seen this (at least in the last few years) at PDX. I did see a nice stream of homeless folks, some asking for money, flowing in and out of the Newark baggage claim area a few months ago.