Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

Stolen or Lost Bags at John Wayne/OC airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2019, 8:56 am
Original Poster

Hi- new to this website/forum. But asking advice. My family of 4 flew from PDX-SNA on April 19. We checked into ticket agent at PDX as we had 4 pieces of luggage and 2 car seats. When we arrive at John Wayne we arrived about 2 mins after carousel started. 2 bags and our 2 car seats showed up. Other 2 went missing. We were not at the baggage drop but close to and didn’t see anything unusual. We filed a claim with Alaska and also a police report with Orange County Sheriff and still no sign of bags. I’ve flown this trip probably 300 plus times in my lifetime and have never had an issue at John Wayne. Alaska is puzzled, OC Sheriff office is puzzled and I feel so violated that someone may have taken not 1 but 2 of our bags. It’s so not heard of at this airport and especially two from same family. They were supposedly scanned into carousel 3 but we never saw them come down. Has anyone ever heard of this? I know baggage theft happens or at least I know now. I guess we are the 1% of missing bags that vanish. Just weird to have 2 and weird it was broad daylight at 12 noon at an airport where from what I know from employees, it just doesn’t happen. I can see one but 2?

Any help or advice?

Bag had 3 of my kids clothes so nothing of value and other had my husbands clothes. Again nothing of value like an iPad, jewelry or camera. We don’t pack those items.
Old May 10, 2019, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The chances that the bags were stolen are the least likely of all of the options.

At this point AS will reimburse you for the fair market value of the suitcases and contents. You can complete and submit the form (it's at a link on the AS website) and submit. AS requires better documentation of valuable items and you don't have those.

Don't make more of this than it is. Highly unlikely anyone stole a bag containing kids clothing.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks! Just very bizarre and random to happen. Not sure how 2 bags just vanish. Just disturbing and praying and hoping they are found. I just wanted to check to see if anyone has had issue at Orange County. Never happened or heard of from what I understand and it sounds like most of the readers on here fly quite a bit. Thanks for all insight
Old May 10, 2019, 11:18 am

Programs: AS MVPG
A more likely scenario is that someone grabbed your bags thinking they were theirs. I have to admit I grabbed a bag once and didn’t realize it wasn’t mine until I got to where I was staying. I immediately returned it and hopefully didn’t inconvenience the owner too much.
trooper and MSPeconomist like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:19 am
Original Poster

2 bags and it was April 19. Puzzling...
Old May 10, 2019, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Once it's scanned coming down the carousel does it have a chance to fall off? And, what are the chances it happens to two of them?

Even if stolen, what are the chances that one person has two bags stolen on the same flight?

This is strange. I'm thinking that most likely your bags were mis-tagged and the ones that were scanned coming down the carousel were not yours.
jjmadison, be_rettSEA and Ponchsab like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:35 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Once it's scanned coming down the carousel does it have a chance to fall off? .
Happened to me. Went to the baggage assistance desk and they eventually went back behind the scenes and found the bag laying off to the side of the belt before it got into the claim area.
Old May 10, 2019, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by robsaw
Happened to me. Went to the baggage assistance desk and they eventually went back behind the scenes and found the bag laying off to the side of the belt before it got into the claim area.
But.. two of them? For the same passenger?

I guess it's possible (they may have been beside each other) but it seems really unlikely.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:16 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold75k, WN A-List, AA, FI, DY, UA, Marriott Lifetime Silver, Hilton Diamond, Amtrak
I've only had two bags lost by the airlines in the 36 years since my first time flying. One of those two times happened at John Wayne airport in the mid 1980s. At that time, there were no jetbridges at that airport. We walked down some steps off our big aircraft, and there was only one baggage carousel for the entire airport. It was one of the smallest airport terminals I had ever been to at the time (sans Esler Field). I had traveled there from IAH and I too thought my bag had been stolen (I was only like 14), but actually what happened was Continental had sent my bag to Denver by accident instead of John Wayne. And strangely, I have never been back to that airport. I hear it's been remodeled

Make sure you get lots of flight discounts from AS (they seem to be good about that) in addition to bag compensation.
VegasGambler and Ponchsab like this.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Your bags are in Australia.

Sorry, I'm from the other active thread involving SNA, AS, and lost bags.
robnbrwn likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The one time in my life my bags were lost (>30 years ago) they ended up in Australia.
Old May 10, 2019, 12:39 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Once it's scanned coming down the carousel does it have a chance to fall off?
It has happened to me as well at OGG. 3 of 4 bags arrived, carousel stopped. 4th bag had fallen off conveyor belt. AS agent proccessed 5K Mile while bag was retrieved.

On our first EK flight SEA-DXB, we arrived but our baggage didn't despite the bags being scanned onto the plane. They were still in SEA and delivered to our hotel 24 hours later.

James on AA280
Old May 10, 2019, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. They did go back and look and I had them go multiple times. Just seems bizarre. 2 bags, same family, different looking bags. Just weird. And at an airport where it rarely happens. Hoping that they were mistagged and they are taking adventure somewhere. Or I am .5% to not only lose a bag but 2 on a direct flight from PDX to SNA. What in the world??
Old May 10, 2019, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You can look at the statistics for AS in DOT's quarterly reporting. It happens on AS all the time.

You may be assured that AS is not looking for it. Cheaper to simply pay off the few bags which never reappear than to spend employee time looking for a bag which might have inadverdently loaded onto some flight and be sitting, without tags, somewhere else in the world.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old May 10, 2019, 5:29 pm

consider getting those baggage tags that have RFID (?) locators so you can also track them yourselves! I've never used them as I almost never check bags -- so don't know if these are allowed.
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.