Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How Are the Paine Field (PAE) Flights? Will Mainline AS Ever Fly There?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Are the Paine Field (PAE) Flights? Will Mainline AS Ever Fly There?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:40 am

Originally Posted by WebTraveler
No doubt; they do not have the volume of flights, nor the equipment. Plus, these events are not that common, so who is going to pay to invest in this equipment at a station serving about 10 flights a day? It is not a 24 hour airport, so there will be no services. Just kind of what it is.
Yeah but I think the airport could have done much more. Simple things like have the plow ready and runway clear since they knew the snow was coming. Agree sadly the price you pay for trying new things. Luckily Uber and Lyft were still working (very slowly) to take people to hotels to SeaTac. I foolishly didn’t change to SeaTac but hopefully we get out today. Alaska IRROPS leaves much to be desired.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:44 am

Programs: AS100k,Hilton Diamond ,IHG Platinum,Bonvoy Platinum
Pae

Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm on flight 2864 today at11:35am, it says on time. Believe or not ?
Old Jan 13, 2020, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Timeforachange
Long time lurker, first time poster. I'm on flight 2864 today at11:35am, it says on time. Believe or not ?
If weather holds you should be fine. I’ll let you know if we make it on the 8:15am. Hopefully the airport plowed and is ready since it’s not snowing now.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Timeforachange
Took off about 45 mins delayed. Glad to be out.
JPat likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 11:52 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Got caught up in the snow mess as well - last time I use PAE during the winter. They just cannot handle IRROPS. I had hoped that since they had fewer flights, they'd be able to clear and maintain the runway with less disruption since there'd be less flights backing up... but was also worried they'd be under prepared - and they were.

Also, it was frustrating the lack of communication. I was in LAS waiting for inbound AS2888 and couldn't get a clear answer from AS as to what was going on at PAE. They just kept telling me "Your flight is 28min delayed". I'm like "Thats an hour from now, my plane is on the ground in PAE 2 hours away and, I think, has deplaned... so can I get an updated ETA?" - "Your flight is 28min delayed."

So, since they kept mum, I hopped in a cab and wasted 3 hours at LAS before hopping back in a cab and booking another hotel for the night. At least the GA's were polite and nice... but if AS been more open with official status, would've helped.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by nearlysober
Got caught up in the snow mess as well - last time I use PAE during the winter. They just cannot handle IRROPS. I had hoped that since they had fewer flights, they'd be able to clear and maintain the runway with less disruption since there'd be less flights backing up... but was also worried they'd be under prepared - and they were.

Also, it was frustrating the lack of communication. I was in LAS waiting for inbound AS2888 and couldn't get a clear answer from AS as to what was going on at PAE. They just kept telling me "Your flight is 28min delayed". I'm like "Thats an hour from now, my plane is on the ground in PAE 2 hours away and, I think, has deplaned... so can I get an updated ETA?" - "Your flight is 28min delayed."

So, since they kept mum, I hopped in a cab and wasted 3 hours at LAS before hopping back in a cab and booking another hotel for the night. At least the GA's were polite and nice... but if AS been more open with official status, would've helped.
Sadly in IRROPS AS is basically a low cost carrier.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I flew LAX-PAE-PDX last month. Fantastic airport and great amenities. Only thing that was not really functional is the rental car situation. It was 10 minute drive in a minivan to the National Car rental facility. I heard from the driver that there are plans for a more integrated facility. Then it would be superb.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:48 am

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Epic fail @ PAE

Five and a half hour delay on 1/14. Flight #2802 to PHX. We loaded on time than were advised of a maintenance issue and that the deicing truck was having issues. A bit later pilot comes back on and advises that the maintenance issue is resolved but deice issue continues. At appx 30 minutes past door closure pilot announces that the door is open if folks want to move about. Than, after another 20 minutes or so everyone who left the plane returns and an announcement is made to buckle up. Door is shut. More time goes by...Pilot announces that we have to deplane and take your things, deicer is not working. They have two trucks there. Issues with running out of fluid and some kind of clog or mechanical.
also #2864 was CX. Why?
Another data point: #2864 to LAX was cancelled as we deplaned. Anyone know why?

Now were pushing 90 minutes and in the terminal. What to do? I checked with GA and Pilot about crew timing out. They say they think they are OK, but still no deice truck. Our plane gets towed from gate so the PDX arriving plane can drop passengers. They spent more than an hour on the tarmac. Grrr....
a second call to the MVPG line to assess options. After some teeth gashing the two of us opt to rebook for 1/16. I than go to GA to seek our two checked bags. He is able to go to plane but can not locate luggage. Oh crap....
No planes coming in or departing. Clock is ticking. Aggravated now...GA says he’ll try again but is rebuffed in going out to the plane. De icing trucks stalled, all is lost.
Than was told the plane could return to gate once they can get some planes already at gate to depart. Finally the deicer goes to work on a UA plane at 2A. It took like 40 minutes before the plane finally moved from gate. But than another AS plane lands and is put into the gate our plane was supposed to be moved to. Argh...
Next, the other UA plane is being deiced. Both trucks working now. It finally leaves. GA told me that they had to get a clearance from maintenance because of the fuel in the wings being unbalanced before they can tow the plane. Finally our plane goes to 2A, the other UA plane leaves, a SNA flight pulls away and at 3:30 I get our two lousy damn bags and depart, a really ugly day. PAE cocked this up pretty good.

Last edited by JPat; Jan 15, 2020 at 5:07 pm Reason: Added info, clarity work
Old Jan 15, 2020, 2:35 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
As2864 1/14

comments:
Schedule actual delay/cancel arrival
city arrv dept arrv dept codes gate
pae orig 1135a cxld wx
lax 225p term cxld wx

wx - weather - cancellation
3pae/etd1220p 0.45l due weather *1340
6pae/dx xcld weather - cancellation *1442
2lax/eta0250p 0.25l projected *1340
1lax/lx xcld weather - cancellation *1442
JPat likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:30 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
So basically even though it is 35 miles from the main AS hub at SeaTac, you might as well be flying out of Milwaukee when it comes to IRROPS
JPat likes this.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Despite my better judgment, I changed to AS2809 PHX-PAE today. They used an O2 tank inbound, and we were waiting for a new one.

Finally got one... and now we're short a F/A who "should be here any minute" .

Glad I stopped at the AMEX CL in T4 before
Old Jan 15, 2020, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by jsguyrus
So basically even though it is 35 miles from the main AS hub at SeaTac, you might as well be flying out of Milwaukee when it comes to IRROPS
And at SEA at least you have a lot of options and helpful AS staff. Its better just to take an uber to SeaTac and go from there than to try and get things handled at PAE.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Talking

Originally Posted by olouie
And at SEA at least you have a lot of options and helpful AS staff. Its better just to take an uber to SeaTac and go from there than to try and get things handled at PAE.
It's nice AS treats PAE/SEA as coterminal for this ^

Onboard at last.

Nice livery first time onboard for QX's

Complete with pdb ^
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:10 pm

Programs: Nada of note these days….
Originally Posted by rustykettel
As2864 1/14
Hmmmm....I just wonder if it was really the issue of the deicer truck? A plane from PDX had landed. Our pilot said nothing about a possible weather delay, just the deicer truck issues and the (quickly cleared) maintenance issue.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 8:40 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, United Serf, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
You're better off in Milwaukee!! They have more than 2 deicing trucks AND they know how to maintain and use them...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.