Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Alaska Airlines | Mileage Plan
Reload this Page >

How Are the Paine Field (PAE) Flights? Will Mainline AS Ever Fly There?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How Are the Paine Field (PAE) Flights? Will Mainline AS Ever Fly There?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: AS MVP
Schedule change Saturday ... my LAX-PAE-LAX r/t trip for Thanksgiving is no longer workable with the elimination of the early AM LAX-PAE flight, and late evening PAE-LAX flight.

Called in and asked if I can switch to something else with a SEA co-terminal - yep - no problem, and got it taken care of.
Old Sep 3, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Bonvoy Gold Elite, Hertz President's Circle, HH Silver
Originally Posted by nearlysober
I haven't checked out PAE yet, I've got a few flights coming up later this year and looking forward to checking it out. It is closer to home for me, being on the North end of the city... and the flights are priced well. Can often find some good deals are F/P/I fares on those E75's and while the FC experience isn't luxurious on them, it's usually a good value for the bonus miles.

The lack of a lounge does bother me... I know the whole airport is supposed to be nice but if I'm heading to Vegas for a bender I want to get started at the airport with some free drinks
The terminal is very comfortable, lots of space and outlets at every seat. And the bartenders are very friendly.
Nurse Traveler likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Gold; LEGO VIP, Amex Platinum, HHonors Gold
Thumbs up

Paine Field passes the Mrs CRAZ8 test. In her words, it's like the whole airport is a lounge.

For our first visit, we valet parked. The drop off was easy, I paid on my phone as the plane taxied in on the return leg, and our keys were at the valet stand before the luggage arrived. Very smooth.

This is 20-25 minutes from home, and almost no traffic heading that way even in rush hour from the Eastside helped. Driving home from Paine Field is much, much less stressful than SeaTac

One problem I have is that the frequency of flights makes it a little trickier finding one at the right time, but with the ease of travel, we're willing to get up a little earlier than we would like. (We *might* even be convinced to fly United if we need to get to Denver!)
Old Oct 7, 2019, 11:53 am

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
My biggest complaint is the lack of a dedicated pre-check line (at least in the morning). It seems most people have pre-check and are each given a card with an explanation (that the checker is really sick of repeating). Everyone must disassemble their items to dig out their electronics and liquids baggy, then re-assemble. I see local police officers there helping and I feel bad for them! I wish they were out doing more important security duties! It would go much smoother if pre-checkers could go to the dedicated line and not have to do all this. I see a pre-check security screening lane but it is closed in the morning. I sent in my complaint to TSA but PAE isn't even in the drop down on the form :S.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines
Yeah, I flew out early on Saturday morning and there was no separate pre-check. There was a separate line to show ID, but then we had to merge in with everyone else and dig out liquids. Kinda a bummer, but not unexpected an an airport that small.

Early in the morning when I departed at 7:30AM, the whole airport was pretty empty and plenty of seating. When I came back through on Sunday and landed around 11:00AM, it was much more crowded in the central "lounge" area and by one of the gates. But the other gate area was completely empty, so still plenty of seating to be had.

Premium parking was kinda surprisingly expensive at $30 a day - I think that is the same rate as SEA.

Overall, nice and quick to get into and out of the airport, short taxi, quick boarding on smaller planes. Only thing its missing is a lounge (yeah the lobby is nice, but I miss my free drinks and soup!).
Bellerina likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 1:17 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriot Platinum
I flew Wednesday at c.7pm. Only one security scanner going, so no dedicated pre-check. Lounge area was busy, but at least a few seats available around the lounge and gates. Also at least 1-2 seats at the bar available always.
The bar tender manager was awesome. I'll definitely be looking at flights out of PAE as there seemed to be a lot more U space available. Our flight went out with c.4 empty F seats. However, getting to PAE was a bit of a paine (get it?) after work.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
I've got a good friend who lives 12 minutes away. Flew into/out of PAE last month. Its very convenient and a solid setup

Just need flights to ANC...
Old Oct 11, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
From Brad Tilden during an event in Seattle yesterday:

"I think we really need to look at growing Paine Field from two gates to — I don't know what the next jump is — five or six gates.
"I think the mentality for Paine Field needs to be something like San Jose."
JPat and missamo80 like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 2:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by RAD_PDX
From Brad Tilden during an event in Seattle yesterday:

"I think we really need to look at growing Paine Field from two gates to — I don't know what the next jump is — five or six gates.
"I think the mentality for Paine Field needs to be something like San Jose."
SJC has 35 gates and international departures.

They talked to the Snohomish County Council about that?
Bellerina likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:23 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward

I'm sure the Snohomish County Council would love it. The mayor of Mukilteo? Not so much.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas

Just maybe perhaps he spoke of the AS operation at SJC. Or not. But probably!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Just maybe perhaps he spoke of the AS operation at SJC. Or not. But probably!
AS has international departures at SJC...
Old Oct 13, 2019, 7:07 pm

Programs: WN A-List Preferred, AS, DL Kryptonium
Originally Posted by missamo80
I'm sure the Snohomish County Council would love it. The mayor of Mukilteo? Not so much.
Times have changed. She's currently running for county council and is touting the economic benefits of flights at Paine Field in her candidate profile

Talking with others who grew up in the, having commercial flights out of PAE has been one of, if not the best thing to happen to the area in the last decade.

I would really like to see a publicly-owned 6 gate terminal with no jetbridges, basically the BLI terminal moved south. Taxpayers will have to pay a lot to buy out Propeller though. ANC and DFW seem like logical additions at this point as many people in the area have family in Alaska and DFW would allow for better connections east without the issues of ORD, especially if AS will continue the AA codeshares. It would be fun to see WN add service to stabilize fares, but I'm not sure where they would fly, likely LAS or OAK/SJC.
JPat likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by missamo80
Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
Times have changed. She's currently running for county council and is touting the economic benefits of flights at Paine Field in her candidate profile

Talking with others who grew up in the, having commercial flights out of PAE has been one of, if not the best thing to happen to the area in the last decade.

I would really like to see a publicly-owned 6 gate terminal with no jetbridges, basically the BLI terminal moved south. Taxpayers will have to pay a lot to buy out Propeller though.
I'm surprised the pendulum has shifted like that, but I guess it makes sense. Propeller's already been bought out, btw, the terminal's owned by the Washington State Investment Board, they just operate the airport. The problem is that terminal is brand spanking new and presumably tearing it all up for a 6 gate terminal's not really in the plans just yet.

Originally Posted by Tide_from_PAE
ANC and DFW seem like logical additions at this point as many people in the area have family in Alaska and DFW would allow for better connections east without the issues of ORD, especially if AS will continue the AA codeshares. It would be fun to see WN add service to stabilize fares, but I'm not sure where they would fly, likely LAS or OAK/SJC.
Yeah, I guess ANC might make sense (anyone notice how QX/OO have crept into SEA-SFO/LAS/LAX formerly mainline only routes? I guess ANC would be next, logically speaking), not sure about DFW. AS codeshares past an AA hub are often sky-high compared to the native flights, I can't imagine a lot of folks use them.

WN might be interested, so might NK/G4.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Oct 13, 2019 at 8:37 pm
Old Oct 13, 2019, 8:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold, HHonors Diamond
I'm surprised the pendulum has shifted like that, but I guess it makes sense. Propeller's already been bought out, btw, the terminal's owned by the Washington State Investment Board, they just operate the airport. The problem is that terminal is brand spanking new and presumably tearing it all up for a 6 gate terminal's not really in the plans just yet.
I have to believe when they designed the airport they planned from the start for expansion somehow.

Neil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.