Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2019 First Quarter Investor Update

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2019, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 100K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Not necessarily the airline, but definitely the Mileage Plan. For much of the MP's history, you could get to most cities in the USA with a single partner, and for many years, had the choice of 4 partners to South America. AS marketed itself heavily in this regard (i.e., the partnerships).
Well yes, but that was back before DL/AA/UA went revenue based. The landscape has changed, not for the better, with all airline frequent flyer plans. Personally since my business doesn't pay for anything other than main cabin and they are pretty cheap about that, I am happy to stay with a mileage based plan, even if it costs partners. And you can still get to most cities in the US on an award ticket via AA.
Old Mar 26, 2019, 10:37 pm

Programs: WN CP/A-List, AS MVPG75K
Originally Posted by jsguyrus
If you want a west coast/Hawaii dominant airline with lots of non-stop transcons to major cities then Alaska works great.
Is one flight a day considered a lot?

Some examples flown on 3/26/19:

SEA-RDU 1x flight/day
SFO-RDU 1x flight/day
LAX-BOS 1x flight/day
SFO-ORD 1x flight/day
LAX-ORD 1x flight/day
SEA-BNA 1x flight/day
SEA-TPA 1x flight/day
SFO-BNA 1x flight/day
PDX-BOS 1x flight/day
BearX220, bmvaughn and wylek like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by tusphotog
Is one flight a day considered a lot?
Probably as much as considering flights to ORD and BNA "transcons", or US MSAs ranked 36th or 43rd "major". I mean, really, do you expect AS to run 5x daily to TPA, RDU & BNA from all their hubs and focus cities?

But hey... let's look at BNA-West Coast.

UA: 2x SFO
AA; 1x LAX
WN: 3x LAX
DL: 1x LAX
AS: 1x SEA, 1x SFO

AS is the smallest airline of all five of these airlines, and they're up there with UA and WN with multiple daily frequencies, and the only airline serving from multiple hubs.

Let's try BWI as an example of a larger MSA

UA: 2x SFO
AA: nada
WN: 4x SAN, 4x LAX, 1x OAK
DL: nada
AS: 1x SFO, 1x SEA, 1x SAN, 1x LAX
NK: 1x LAX

Again, AS is up there with the airline that actually de facto hubs at BWI (WN) in serving from multiple West Coast destinations.

Let's try TPA:

UA: 1x UA
AA: nada
WN: 1x LAX
DL: 1x LAX
AS: 1x SEA

Looks like folks serving them from their strong West Coast hubs reasonably well...

I get it, AS has run away from places where the legacies and heavy competition will murder them: BOS, ORD, DEN, NYC premium. And they obviously don't punch well at covering second-tier midcon and East Coast destinations, because the demand for LAX/SFO/SEA-PNS nonstops isn't likely to show up and there is no real logical place for a midcon hub anytime soon (they could spend 10 years accreting market share in SFO/LAX/SJC/SAN and still be in a solid second place in all of those cities). The loss of AA/DL hurts (though the DL side of that was baked in the cake when DL decided they wanted a SEA hub). But WN spent decades doing this kind of strategy (incremental market share over time, finding niches to exploit) with ZERO international feed. It seems to work OK for them.
notquiteaff, jsguyrus and jinglish like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: BART Platinum, AA Plat Pro
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
And they obviously don't punch well at covering second-tier midcon and East Coast destinations, because the demand for LAX/SFO/SEA-PNS nonstops isn't likely to show up and there is no real logical place for a midcon hub anytime soon (they could spend 10 years accreting market share in SFO/LAX/SJC/SAN and still be in a solid second place in all of those cities).
Please stop lumping LAX/SFO in with SEA. I understand you didn't start it—we're just haphazardly throwing around the term "West Coast"—but as the investor slides show, AS has ~4x as many flights out of SEA as it does out of LAX or SFO. These are qualitatively different networks. And that's before even considering that the competition will be much stronger ex-LAX/SFO simply due to the much larger markets in those two MSAs.
be_rettSEA likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:50 pm

Fun Fact: the top airline for seat share in AS’s markets pre-VX merger was the one with the least amount of trans cons, the airline of the kettles, the airline FTers who love Krug and caviar showers despise: WN. Read the presentation.

AS is very clearly gunning for them, and NOT the premium transcon market (they do want some natural market share transcon, but it’s never been a huge focus out of SEA, and they have decided to skip a B6 Chainsaw Massacre in those CA premium markets). Maybe they are idiots. But it’s pretty clear reading the tea leaves they want WN share too, and they are fighting more against WN than trying to run premium transcon.
I don’t disagree that they are gunning for WN’s market share, but it seems like AS needs to draw the line on nickle and diming customers if they want to effectively compete for loyal WN clientele. So far, the AS model seems to follow the legacies in terms of a la carte pricing, but with a slightly less onerous fee structure.
be_rettSEA likes this.

Last edited by sltlyamusd; Mar 27, 2019 at 6:24 pm
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I actually think that a lot of Southwest flyers would be better off on AS (or, at least, they would have been before premium economy)

I think that many of them don't understand same-day changes. I say that they can do a SDC on AS for $25 (intra-CA) and they tell me that it's free on Southwest. I explain that they have to pay the fare difference (and same day tickets are usually expensive) and they tell me that you have to do that on all airlines. Basically, they don't understand SDC.

I'm not sure how an ariline can effectively advertise something like this. People don't like the idea of paying a $25 fee (because fees are "extra") but a $150 fare difference seems "fair" because you're moving to a "more expensive flight".
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by milypan
Please stop lumping LAX/SFO in with SEA. I understand you didn't start it—we're just haphazardly throwing around the term "West Coast"—but as the investor slides show, AS has ~4x as many flights out of SEA as it does out of LAX or SFO. These are qualitatively different networks. And that's before even considering that the competition will be much stronger ex-LAX/SFO simply due to the much larger markets in those two MSAs.
Why can't I lump them in with PDX, SJC and SAN, then? Nobody is seriously arguing that AS's expansion in CA is close to over. But WN didn't show up in PHX/LAS in the early 80's with 50 flights a day, either. Why aren't accretive adds to the current network ex-California going to work like they did for WN and B6 as they gathered momentum?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:47 pm

Why can't I lump them in with PDX, SJC and SAN, then?
That's reasonable. I'm just saying don't conflate the network they have ex-SFO or ex-LAX with what they have ex-SEA. What they have ex-SEA is competitive, on the basis of the network alone. What they have ex-SFO/LAX is not.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's reasonable. I'm just saying don't conflate the network they have ex-SFO or ex-LAX with what they have ex-SEA. What they have ex-SEA is competitive, on the basis of the network alone. What they have ex-SFO/LAX is not.
Right, but do you reasonably expect an airline with 30-40% of the fleet size of the majors (not to mention a smaller amount of regional) to have 100% of the network of the majors? Or can we see where they are in a few years?

(They're WAY better at serving more of CA's markets than VX ever was, thanks to strong PNW presence that creates some natural market share + a presence in SJC and SAN that VX never had.)

WN doesn't serve JFK. They don't serve MYR, BTV or VPS (from that earlier poster's point). They didn't need to serve any of those places to be a successful business. So is the argument that AS is doooooomed, terribly doooooomed because they don't serve a lot of markets that majors do, and their position is as a scrappy #2 in a lot of CA markets instead of a #1 ? Or what?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:22 pm

Right, but do you reasonably expect an airline with 30-40% of the fleet size of the majors (not to mention a smaller amount of regional) to have 100% of the network of the majors?...So is the argument that AS is doooooomed, terribly doooooomed because they don't serve a lot of markets that majors do, and their position is as a scrappy #2 in a lot of CA markets instead of a #1?
I can't speak for others, but I'm not arguing that they're doomed. I'm just saying don't expect them to get a lot of traction with "elites" outside of SEA (and maybe ANC?). But hopefully they don't need that in order to have a sustainable business...certainly that's what management has claimed with their "leisure enthusiast"-focused strategy and "relevance" metrics.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I can't speak for others, but I'm not arguing that they're doomed. I'm just saying don't expect them to get a lot of traction with "elites" outside of SEA (and maybe ANC?). But hopefully they don't need that in order to have a sustainable business...certainly that's what management has claimed with their "leisure enthusiast"-focused strategy and "relevance" metrics.
I don't think they're trying for the AA/UA/DL corporate traveler market out of SFO/LAX. No international outside of partners (and even at that there are real holes; Europe is "some of OW and a random assortment of LCCs"), no real way to get to second-tier USA locations outside of very expensive AA codeshares, no premium transcon. It doesn't make sense. They get some of that out of SEA (though they certainly didn't start out in the 80's post-deregulation with 55% SEA market share), but it's more a case of what they've built over time. But those weren't WN or B6 strengths either.

My guess is AS is going to keep chipping away at SFO/LAX marketshare much like how they built up SJC and SAN; accretive, occasional route adds over time. The bones of what VX left them help because they'll have some markets out of that.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I actually think that a lot of Southwest flyers would be better off on AS (or, at least, they would have been before premium economy)

I think that many of them don't understand same-day changes. I say that they can do a SDC on AS for $25 (intra-CA) and they tell me that it's free on Southwest. I explain that they have to pay the fare difference (and same day tickets are usually expensive) and they tell me that you have to do that on all airlines. Basically, they don't understand SDC.

I'm not sure how an ariline can effectively advertise something like this. People don't like the idea of paying a $25 fee (because fees are "extra") but a $150 fare difference seems "fair" because you're moving to a "more expensive flight".
Advertise a match of WN SDC policies:

“Show us your Southwest Rapid Rewards care (is there such a thing?) and we will match the SDC policy of Southwest.”

Then, when WN loyalists ask for the SDC per WN rules, offer them the AS option as an alternative: “sure, you could change to that earlier flight for an upfare of $137. or might I interest you in Alaska’s own SDC policy, which would cost you just $25?”

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.