Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: missamo80
Current travel advisories

Travel to/from: SEA or PDX
Tickets purchased on/before: February 12, 2019
Original travel dates: February 8 - 12, 2019
New travel dates: February 11, 2019 - February 18, 2019

(Wiki last updated 2019-02-11 9:00pm PST)
Print Wikipost

SeaTac in the snow - 2019 edition

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2019, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
get ready for the next installment this weekend ... forecast is for 3-5 inches of snow, starting just after rush hour Fri evening and lasting thru mid-day Sat with another 1-3 inches

I'm parked at the Marriott, and am not looking forward to the drive back to Magnolia ~2230 Fri

Last edited by jrl767; Feb 5, 2019 at 4:29 pm
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:01 pm

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
Originally Posted by jrl767
get ready for the next installment this weekend ... forecast is for 3-5 inches of snow, starting just after rush hour Fri evening and lasting thru mid-day Sat with another 1-3 inches

I'm parked at the Marriott, and am not looking forward to the drive back to Magnolia ~2230 Fri
I'm waiting for weather models to resolve themselves, but that really sucks for those of us who need to do anything include get to and from the airport no matter where we live.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:35 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by lalala
I'm waiting for weather models to resolve themselves, but that really sucks for those of us who need to do anything include get to and from the airport no matter where we live.

Any anticpation for flight cancellations for arrivals into seattle during snow. I’m currently booked on AS flight that is scheduled to arrive 9:30 pm local time?
Old Feb 6, 2019, 4:34 am

Programs: HH Silver
The AS SEA-PVR and PVR-SEA flights were cancelled on 2/4. My very first flight on Delta was coming home (PVR-SEA) on the 4th. I have flown this flight on AS for the past 15 years, but Delta lured me away with a 6000 point fare. And they got my home, too! 2 hours late, but at least I got home.

This alone would not make me change carriers, but add in the take away's that AS has done....yep, I am liking Delta at the moment.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Xrayman
Any anticpation for flight cancellations for arrivals into seattle during snow. I’m currently booked on AS flight that is scheduled to arrive 9:30 pm local time?
it largely depends on what the aircraft is scheduled to fly upline (earlier) ... if you’re coming in from, say, SoCal, there’s a much better chance that the flight will be operating (perhaps late, esp if the aircraft turns from SEA) than if you’re departing from PDX or BOI or YVR ... however, I’d guess that QX/OO operations (even medium to long haul) are more apt to be disrupted than mainline

FlightRadar24 website (not the app) — while not authoritative — typically starts showing the assigned tail number ~48 hrs in advance, so you can then track the aircraft as it’s scheduled to progress through the day
Xrayman likes this.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:49 pm

Programs: AS 75K,UA Gold 1.6MM, Hilton Dia, Marriott LT Plat, Hyatt Glb, Natl Exec, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dmodemd
I am on the AA flight to DFW at 3:39pm (had to switch flights from AS because alternate flight was too much $). Inbound on time. Hopefully things will clear out a bit by then. I am not sure what the de-icing rules would be. If precip has stopped for a preceding amount of time and aircraft is clear of snow/ice, is de-icing needed? I look forward to getting to Dallas and 75-80 degree weather right now.
Success! Flight ended up only being about 20 mins late and that was because it was late inbound (due to late arriving plane at DFW, not due to SEA weather). No de-icing. I noticed pilot was a lot more careful taxiing in Seatac with the snow than he was in DFW where he was booking on the taxiway! He must have been glad to be back at the base he knows and nicer weather. (or I maybe just a different seat driving on that end). He managed to make up 10 minutes in flight only for the GA taking 15 minutes to get to the jetway and get us out... he was not too happy about that but he appeared to be used to that at AA.
My regular AS 642 was cancelled! (Phew! dodged that bullet!)
Enjoying the 70 degree weather, although now the front is coming in, the next storm is heading to SEA, so I changed my Friday flight to Thursday, at Alaska's $$ gain... :S
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:06 am

Programs: Alaska 75K
Our SEA BUR flight for Saturday morning was preemptively cancelled tonight due to weather. Just rebooked to LAX instead arriving a little later but now have the headache of navigating LAX, offsite rental car and additional traffic. No compensation available because its weather related and outside of their control, according to the agent on the phone. Might run that up the customer service flagpole later to see if it sticks. But tired now and must sleep. Lame.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:44 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Hopefully, they'll post a weather waiver soon - I have a flight on Sat morning that I'd like to reschedule given the forecast.

Cliff Mass (one of Seattle's best known weather experts) seems pretty confident that this storm is going to be a bad one, so it's probably a good thing that they're being proactive. https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2019/...it-region.html
Old Feb 7, 2019, 10:03 am

Programs: Alaska 75K
I just got the best operator in the world out of Boise! She took the very first MVP Gold call in 1994. I feel honored. I would tell my wife but she probably wouldn’t care but sure you guys will! ;-) She was a magician and rebooked us to leave Friday afternoon, beating the storm, which included breaking the reservation up and working it so I can fly direct to LAX from PDX instead of going back to SEA and down from there. I
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE
When would the travel waiver be posted? It is about 36 hours until snowfall is supposed to start, but doesn't seem that they are being proactive if they even do plan on a waiver.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:24 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold
I was in the Cincinnati area last weekend and scheduled to fly CVG-ORD-SEA on Monday, 04FEB. Monday morning I received alerts from AS announcing delays for AS51/04FEB ORDSEA. Only then did I realize the weather situation in the Pac NW.

Tracking the aircraft I learned that it was still at GEG, awaiting clearance to fly to SEA to make up AS56 ORDSEA and then turn around as AS51. I decided I didn't want to deal with what would involve lengthy delays and sitting at ORD for hours, so I called the MVP Gold line. The Agent was very accommodating, rebooking me for the same flights on Tuesday, 05FEB.

All went well on Tuesday and I arrived SEA about 50 minutes behind schedule because of de-icing at ORD and awaiting a gate at SEA. I'm very glad I made the decision to stay another night at CVG, as AS51/04FEB arrived SEA @ 01:38 on the 5th...scheduled arrival was 20:58.

Now hoping to be able to fly SEA-LAS on Sunday.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:33 pm

Programs: Alaska airlines 100k
Originally Posted by bbinchi
I was in the Cincinnati area last weekend and scheduled to fly CVG-ORD-SEA on Monday, 04FEB. Monday morning I received alerts from AS announcing delays for AS51/04FEB ORDSEA. Only then did I realize the weather situation in the Pac NW.

Tracking the aircraft I learned that it was still at GEG, awaiting clearance to fly to SEA to make up AS56 ORDSEA and then turn around as AS51. I decided I didn't want to deal with what would involve lengthy delays and sitting at ORD for hours, so I called the MVP Gold line. The Agent was very accommodating, rebooking me for the same flights on Tuesday, 05FEB.

All went well on Tuesday and I arrived SEA about 50 minutes behind schedule because of de-icing at ORD and awaiting a gate at SEA. I'm very glad I made the decision to stay another night at CVG, as AS51/04FEB arrived SEA @ 01:38 on the 5th...scheduled arrival was 20:58.

Now hoping to be able to fly SEA-LAS on Sunday.
how did you find out (if easy) the back track routes for your airplane and route? Thanks.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 1:35 pm

Programs: AS, AA, UA, Hilton, Marriott, Caesars DE

how did you find out (if easy) the back track routes for your airplane and route? Thanks.

Flightaware has a "Where is my plane" feature where you look up your flight and you can track the previous routes within about 2 days of your flight. That doesn't mean that an aircraft switch can't happen. That is a free version, I believe there are also subscription services that do a more comprehensive job, i.e tracking plane registration etc.

Last edited by safari ari; Feb 7, 2019 at 5:24 pm
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:28 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold

I use Flightradar24; I subscribe to their Gold edition, which I find well worth the $35 annual fee. Both the desktop and mobile app are excellent and they have different subscription plans in addition to the free model.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 2:39 pm

We have a 6 a.m. flight out to San Diego on Saturday, but Alaska won't budge and says they haven't issued travel waiver yet...
Kind of disappointed that we are trying to be proactive and they would rather hold out until they need to cancel/delay last minute. I was happy to pay out of pocket for a hotel in San Diego in order to make it to the connecting flight Saturday afternoon to Mexico.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.